• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV in Nevada

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DMV said it was about 350.00 a year based on the weight. Their key index is 25,999 pounds before it is a CDL issue.
And above 14,001-lbs to avoid annual smog checking, if registered to an address in Las Vegas valley or Reno metro areas. That is for standard passenger vehicle registration. Now that Deuces & 5-tons cannot be registered as Classics, registration fees are based on weight...several club members reported having to pay around $400 annually for each of these under standard registrations, so your $350 is a bit of a bargain.

Please report back if it ends up being something different.

Keep in mind that the DMV will only accept the SF-97 if it is in your name only...they do not accept any further re-assignments. If you are buying from a private party and all they have is the SF-97, you will have to have them accompany you to the DMV while it is initially titled in seller's name, then do title transfer to you while you are both sitting in front of same DMV clerk.

If you'd like to know more about Nevada DMV issues, feel free to attend the monthly meeting of the Southern Nevada Military Vehicle Association this Saturday, Sept 16th at 2pm, held at the Marine Corps League building (Spring Mtn/Arville, next to American Shooters building). One of our members tried for several years to title & register his M2 halftrack; he ended up suing the NV-DMV and winning, yet the state's Deputy AG refused to abide by the ruling....after being held in contempt of court and this member's friendship with an influential state senator, the DMV was forced to relent and issued a title & registration to the M2 halftrack. It drove in our parade procession this past July 4th. This member is sharing his experiences this Saturday with titling old vehicles that have never been titled before, and is spearheading an initiative to try to come up with a separate Historical Military Vehicle registration classification in Nevada. We'd love to have you come by!

NV555

From NV-DMV

I am being told that you can still go through OHV but that is for off road vehicles only. I am waiting to receive information from an administrator who is working on a new policy in regards to these type of vehicles. When I receive the information I will pass it on to you.

NV555

And above 14,001-lbs to avoid annual smog checking, if registered to an address in Las Vegas valley or Reno metro areas. That is for standard passenger vehicle registration. Now that Deuces & 5-tons cannot be registered as Classics, registration fees are based on weight...several club members reported having to pay around $400 annually for each of these under standard registrations, so your $350 is a bit of a bargain.

Please report back if it ends up being something different.

I'm currently in Ely, sorry can not make the event. I have a clean Illinois road title. I think it is my local DMV here that is causing the problem.

Keep in mind that the DMV will only accept the SF-97 if it is in your name only...they do not accept any further re-assignments. If you are buying from a private party and all they have is the SF-97, you will have to have them accompany you to the DMV while it is initially titled in seller's name, then do title transfer to you while you are both sitting in front of same DMV clerk.

If you'd like to know more about Nevada DMV issues, feel free to attend the monthly meeting of the Southern Nevada Military Vehicle Association this Saturday, Sept 16th at 2pm, held at the Marine Corps League building (Spring Mtn/Arville, next to American Shooters building). One of our members tried for several years to title & register his M2 halftrack; he ended up suing the NV-DMV and winning, yet the state's Deputy AG refused to abide by the ruling....after being held in contempt of court and this member's friendship with an influential state senator, the DMV was forced to relent and issued a title & registration to the M2 halftrack. It drove in our parade procession this past July 4th. This member is sharing his experiences this Saturday with titling old vehicles that have never been titled before, and is spearheading an initiative to try to come up with a separate Historical Military Vehicle registration classification in Nevada. We'd love to have you come by!
I'm currently in Ely, sorry can not make the event. I have a clean Illinois road title. I think it is my local DMV here that is causing the problem. I'm going to do the vin inspection and head up to Elko DMV. I see plenty of Duces and 5 tons around here in Nevada. I would rather stay here in NV, however might have to use the other option.

NV555

From NV-DMV

I am being told that you can still go through OHV but that is for off road vehicles only. I am waiting to receive information from an administrator who is working on a new policy in regards to these type of vehicles. When I receive the information I will pass it on to you.
Well that is bad info as OHV in Nevada is limited at 2k pounds or just under or less so no a OHV will be rejected. Like I'm going to title a 915 or 916 1083 as an OHV.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've got a clean title from another state, then it should be able to be registered as a normal passenger vehicle (if under 26K-lbs) and your registration fees are based on weight. If the Ely DMV office is telling you that it can only be registered as an OHV, then they don't know a HMMWV from a hole in the ground. Sounds like your local DMV office is unclear as to how to interepret the existing law (no surprise, as stated briefly in my above post with Las Vegas area DMV directors).

Go to Elko DMV, just present your paperwork and tell them that it's a truck for personal use (after VIN inspection). Many DMV employees are easily confused by military acronyms, and saying "FMTV" probably raises the specter of someone trying to sneak in an off-road titled HMMWV for road registration.... Just remember the folks you deal with on a daily basis, and keep it simple!

There are many Deuces and 5-tons legally registered on the road in Nevada, as well as a few FMTVs/LMTVs I've seen. In 2015 the Legislature amended the laws regarding Classic Vehicles and Classic Rods, to limit the "carrying capacity" to NOT exceed "1 ton." We have several club members whose attempts to register Deuces and 5-tons as Classics were rejected and they had to go with standard passenger vehicle registrations based on weight (for them, over 14,001-lbs to avoid annual smog check requirements, but annual registration fees in excess of $400). In another older thread, a member asked about his friends' M939 registrations being cancelled/revoked; if they were registered as Classics, the DMV will cancel/revoke your registration if it does not meet the current legal standard; there is NO "Grandfather" clause for the 2015 legal changes. I've heard 2 different accounts from DMV sources regarding this: that the DMV is doing audits at random, and if a registration is found to not be in compliance with current legal requirements then it is cancelled/revoked then & there; and that the DMV is not doing audits due to staffing budget shortages, but simply relying on alert DMV employees catching the faults at time of registration renewal or upon a person's visit to a DMV branch. As we have no more details for those issues, I can't say one way or the other regarding the M939 trucks' registration revocations/cancellations.

I do know that since Governor Sandoval signed legislation relaxing the requirements of Classic Vehicle/Classic Rod (CV/CR) registrations, these types of registrations have increased 400%. There have been a significant number of violations, such as using this type of registration for business purposes, and the air quality in the Las Vegas valley has supposedly seen a dramatic rise in emissions levels as well due to the emissions-testing exemption of CV/CR registrations. This led to the amendment in the 2015 Legislature session to require a "carrying capacity of 1 ton or less" for these CV/CR registrations. Emissions is an important concern, as the Las Vegas valley & Reno metro area require smog testing of passenger vehicles, and the air quality folks want to eliminate CV/CR classifications altogether. There is growing momentum to require annual or bi-annual physical inspections of CV/CR vehicles to ensure that the 5K annual mileage limitations haven't been exceeded, as well as to ensure that any visible smoke seen can pass an Opacity Test.

Regarding Nevada Classic Vehicles & Classic Rods registrations: legal requirements & definitions can be found online at the Nevada Legislature's website.

NRS 482.3816  Classic Vehicles. [Effective until the date on which the Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles notifies the Governor and the Director of the Legislative Counsel Bureau that sufficient resources are available to enable the Department to carry out the provisions of chapter 82, Statutes of Nevada 2015, at page 324.] 1.  Except as otherwise provided in NRS 482.2655, the Department may issue special license plates and registration certificates to residents of Nevada for any passenger car or light commercial vehicle:
(a) Having a manufacturer’s rated carrying capacity of 1 ton or less;
(b) Manufactured at least 25 years before the application is submitted to the Department; and
(c) Containing only the original parts which were used to manufacture the vehicle or replacement parts that duplicate those original parts.
2.  License plates issued pursuant to this section must be inscribed with the words “CLASSIC VEHICLE” and a number of characters, including numbers and letters, as determined necessary by the Director.
3.  If, during a registration period, the holder of special plates issued pursuant to this section disposes of the vehicle to which the plates are affixed, the holder shall retain the plates and:
(a) Affix them to another vehicle which meets the requirements of this section and report the change to the Department in accordance with the procedure set forth for other transfers; or
(b) Within 30 days after removing the plates from the vehicle, return them to the Department.
4.  The fee for the special license plates is $35, in addition to all other applicable registration and license fees and governmental services taxes. The fee for an annual renewal sticker is $10.
5.  In addition to the fees required pursuant to subsection 4, the Department shall charge and collect a fee for the first issuance of the special license plates for those motor vehicles exempted pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 445B.760 from the provisions of NRS 445B.770 to 445B.815, inclusive. The amount of the fee must be equal to the amount of the fee for a form certifying emission control compliance set forth in paragraph (c) of subsection 1 of NRS 445B.830.
6.  Fees paid to the Department pursuant to subsection 5 must be accounted for in the Pollution Control Account created by NRS 445B.830.
(Added to NRS by 1995, 788; A 2001, 332; 2011, 1529; 2013, 2558, 2860; 2015, 1758)

NRS 482.3814  Classic Rods. [Effective until the date on which the Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles notifies the Governor and the Director of the Legislative Counsel Bureau that sufficient resources are available to enable the Department to carry out the provisions of chapter 82, Statutes of Nevada 2015, at page 324.] 1.  Except as otherwise provided in NRS 482.2655, the Department may issue special license plates and registration certificates to residents of Nevada for any passenger car or light commercial vehicle:
(a) Having a manufacturer’s rated carrying capacity of 1 ton or less; and
(b) Manufactured not earlier than 1949, but at least 20 years before the application is submitted to the Department.
2.  License plates issued pursuant to this section must be inscribed with the words “CLASSIC ROD” and a number of characters, including numbers and letters, as determined necessary by the Director.
3.  If, during a registration year, the holder of special plates issued pursuant to this section disposes of the vehicle to which the plates are affixed, the holder shall retain the plates and:
(a) Affix them to another vehicle which meets the requirements of this section and report the change to the Department in accordance with the procedure set forth for other transfers; or
(b) Within 30 days after removing the plates from the vehicle, return them to the Department.
4.  The fee for the special license plates is $35, in addition to all other applicable registration and license fees and governmental services taxes. The fee for an annual renewal sticker is $10.
5.  In addition to the fees required pursuant to subsection 4, the Department shall charge and collect a fee for the first issuance of the special license plates for those motor vehicles exempted pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 445B.760 from the provisions of NRS 445B.770 to 445B.815, inclusive. The amount of the fee must be equal to the amount of the fee for a form certifying emission control compliance set forth in paragraph (c) of subsection 1 of NRS 445B.830.
6.  Fees paid to the Department pursuant to subsection 5 must be accounted for in the Pollution Control Account created by NRS 445B.830.
(Added to NRS by 1989, 1732; A 1991, 2321; 1997, 3002; 2001, 331; 2011, 1528; 2013, 2557; 2015, 1758)

For owners of older MVs, NV DMV provides several different registration options, such as "Old Timer" and "Antique Truck." The Antique Truck requirements are very specific, one of them requiring that the truck be inspected prior to registration...I've never been able to get a consistent answer on what inspection requirements are necessary, as they aren't outlined anywhere I've been able to find, but the general consensus among DMV directors is that a current DOT safety inspection would suffice. The details of these can be found by clicking on the links for CV/CR above.

This Saturday will see if our member & his state senator friend are interested in trying to get the impetus to create a separate registration category for Former Military Vehicles (which by & large by their ownership & use fit into the Antique & Classic registration requirements outlined in NRS 482).

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We picked up our M-1078 in Pennsylvania, and drove it home to Gardnerville. It had a PA title, and we had a trip permit issued by the AAA in PA. I then drove it up to Carson City ( in forest camo..) and had it inspected. The short vin# threw them, as it wouldn't work in their system. They just added zeros till the had 17 digits. I was asked what the MSRP was when new. I told her $104,000 in 1994.. This sent her for a supervisor. They came back and agreed to issue it at the lowest value they had which was under $10,000. I walked out with a title and plates.

Truth be told, I went in and grilled a supervisor before I purchased it and drove it home.

No troubles since.

Pointmam

Last edited:

Tanker99

We picked up our M-1078 in Pennsylvania, and drove it home to Gardnerville. It had a PA title, and we had a trip permit issued by the AAA in PA. I then drove it up to Carson City ( in forest camo..) and had it inspected. The short vin# threw them, as it wouldn't work in their system. They just added zeros till the had 17 digits. I was asked what the MSRP was when new. I told her $104,000 in 1994.. This sent her for a supervisor. They came back and agreed to issue it at the lowest value they had which was under $10,000. I walked out with a title and plates.

Truth be told, I went in and grilled a supervisor before I purchased it and drove it home.

No troubles since.

Pointmam
Just acquired 1 m1078 and 1 m1081 on a trade with a friend in Washington state.Wondering about registration problems.I live in fish springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks