• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV legality issue?

86m1028

Some states won't process an SF-97. However there is a workaround, just get a title from a state that does accept an SF97 and then transfer it to a non SF97 state. This is why gov planet offers a Florida title as an option for a title document.
I understand what your saying about the sf-97.
I just don't understand how the states can refuse a government document.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Some dmvs and or employees of such just choose to give registrants a hard time because they can. Several states will reg a vehicle with just a bill of sale if its 20 years old. Trucks straight from the gov have never been registered there is no continuity of registered ownership in the dmv system. Technically you will be the first registered owner. In that case you dont need any paperwork from gp. Buy it and make a bill of sale to your wife or vice versa and reg it like that. I reg stuff all the time with just bills of sale.

EO2NMCB

In regards to the sf97, the problem with Illinois is that they will nor accept a re-assignment letter of the SF 97. When it was in GL's/GP's name, therefore having to pay extra for a title. Now if you go in with a sf97 in your name from say GSA it is no problem.

Jericho

Look to VERMONT, Vermont will register/title anything and all by mail if you wish, they have discovered its a real money maker, no need to be a resident, just provide the required minimal documents . THEN re register in your home state using the "Reciprocity" laws in FEDERAL CODE . Your right, the state to state laws are confusing, but does one want a country wide set of rules.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look to VERMONT, Vermont will register/title anything and all by mail if you wish, they have discovered its a real money maker, no need to be a resident, just provide the required minimal documents . THEN re register in your home state using the "Reciprocity" laws in FEDERAL CODE . Your right, the state to state laws are confusing, but does one want a country wide set of rules.
Just because Vermont will issue a title doesn't mean every other state will accept Vermonts title , most states will require a inspection for out of state titles to make sure the vehicle conforms to that states law

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some states won't process an SF-97. However there is a workaround, just get a title from a state that does accept an SF97 and then transfer it to a non SF97 state. This is why gov planet offers a Florida title as an option for a title document.
Nevada will process an SF-97 as long as there is no more than ONE (1) re-assignment, and everything is notarized. I've had several people locally contact me about getting a vehicle titled with an SF-97 that was re-assigned to person they bought vehicle from...I had to tell them to have the seller title the vehicle in seller's name, then transfer that title to them afterwards. Otherwise, getting a title is a loooooooong and painful process.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Vermont will issue you a registration they usually dont title after a certain age. The reg can be used for transfer. Under 25 years old they wont do antique reg you have to to trucks by the weight it can get expensive. They wont do it thru the mail with the sf97. Throw that away and make a bill of sale.

BEASTMASTER

yeh it's crazy. I brought my 5 ton down here from M.A. I've owned it for 13 yrs and plowed snow with it up there for the town where I lived. had a title and reg for 13 yrs and I come down here and have to have the highway patrol check my vin numbers to make sure it wasn't stolen. the would'nt accept a mass. title. it' crazy

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Most states vin check an out of state title. Probably because a few states dont. CT does it too. You are supposed to temp and vin verify I just borrow a dealer plate to do the vin verify and then walk in and reg.

Silvrzuki77

I just left a Nevada DMV office in Las Vegas. I own a 1997 LMTV. I have the Florida title issued to Iron Planet, and it has been signed over to me. However, Nevada DMV refuses to issue a new title in my name, as they say that "we got an email that says these are off-road vehicles". Kind of f'ed here at the moment. Help!!!!!
Any update on your situation???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overdrive

I ordered the Florida title for mine from GL and had zero issues titling and registering it in Missouri. Had to register as a commercial truck because of the weight but the LMTVs meet all "street legal" requirements for a motor vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks