• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV owners & mechanics in the northwest?

sideburnie

I'm working on a CAD model for a camper conversion for an LMTV/FMTV. I'm not sure yet on the platform, but right now I'm leaning towards an M1088 or M1083 (or even 1085, but they seem very rare). I've spent hours (ok, maybe drifting into days, weeks...) reading (here, thanks everybody) about the differences between the two, but I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could see one of each in person and take photos, measurements, have a good heart-to-heart, etc. There's a couple on here that are converting an LMTV and have made a model in onshape (fuchsiafoxexpedition.wordpress.com), and it's been a lifesaver. Very impressed by how thorough they are. That said, I haven't seen any models of the FMTV... and I know most things are the same or very similar, but I need to put my mind at greater ease.

I see a lot of folks with LMTVs in in the northwest, but I'm not seeing many FMTVs. Any chance there are folks on the forums with an FMTV (preferrably 1083, 1085, 1088) whom I could pay to let me take measurements and take a test-drive so that I know what I'm getting into?

Second question: Any folks on here work on these professionally in the northwest or know somebody that does? Seems this is so much more popular on the east coast... I plan on doing a lot of my own maintenance, and have even considered buying a parts truck, but I still think there are many things I'm not going to be able to do myself purely because I don't have some of the larger tooling (lifts, etc.) or better experience. I'm thinking I should be prepared with a contacts list of people skilled in the art of MV maintenance (particularly those near western Washington). Any pointers are very gladly taken. Thanks in advance to all who keep this great info alive!

Last edited:

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sideburnie,

Welcome to the olive drab addiction and the FMTV family!

Some nomenclature help may assist you in narrowing your internet searches for specifications and dimensions. Some search engines actually differentiate between these acronyms. FMTV refers to the Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles. This is a wide range of machinery on different platforms. LMTV refers to Light Medium Tactical Vehicle or 4 wheel, typical 2.5 ton, trucks such as the M1078, M1079, etc. MTV refers to the Medium Tactical Vehicle or 6 wheel, typical 5 ton, trucks such as the M1083, M1084, M1085, etc. There are also the cargo trailers for these models: the single axle, M1082 (2.5 ton) and tandem axle, M1095 (5 ton). There are further differences in the models with revisions (A0, A1), various air drop configurations (M1081), armor configurations (LSAC, A1P2), accessory kits, etc.

I too enjoying working with 3D models to plan my mechanical adventures. I use SolidWorks and I have a couple of the MTV units that I am working to model, but I don't have much to show for my efforts yet. Be glad to share what I do come up with.

Sorry, I don't live closer to you. You are welcome to come to the Mid-West and poke, prod and drive all you wish though!

Stay safe and stay in touch,

firefinder

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 2004 M1088A1 that I am in the process of converting to a M1083A1. I am in Portland, OR and you are welcome to come down and get measurements, test drive, etc. This is my 3rd FMTV and I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

sideburnie

sideburnie,
Welcome to the olive drab addiction and the FMTV family!
firefinder
Thanks! Great to be here!
Some nomenclature help may assist you in narrowing your internet searches for specifications and dimensions. Some search engines actually differentiate between these acronyms. FMTV refers to the Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles. This is a wide range of machinery on different platforms. LMTV refers to Light Medium Tactical Vehicle or 4 wheel, typical 2.5 ton, trucks such as the M1078, M1079, etc. MTV refers to the Medium Tactical Vehicle or 6 wheel, typical 5 ton, trucks such as the M1083, M1084, M1085, etc. There are also the cargo trailers for these models: the single axle, M1082 (2.5 ton) and tandem axle, M1095 (5 ton). There are further differences in the models with revisions (A0, A1), various air drop configurations (M1081), armor configurations (LSAC, A1P2), accessory kits, etc.
firefinder
Ahhhhhhhh, ok, this totally makes sense. Searching for MTV more generally on google I usually get too much garbage from this music channel on TV... ;) Never really clicked that FMTV was for the whole FAMILY. derp. I will be using MTV in my search terms on SS in the future.

Re: A0 and A1, yeah, I've also been trying to decide on that front. There's a part of me that really likes having an EMP proof, simple, all mechanical diesel, but then my adult brain kicks in and says "there are so many other easier ways to stop a truck." Seems nice to have the engine diagnostics, and I guess a newer truck in general?

I too enjoying working with 3D models to plan my mechanical adventures. I use SolidWorks and I have a couple of the MTV units that I am working to model, but I don't have much to show for my efforts yet. Be glad to share what I do come up with.
firefinder
If you started a thread here or a minimal blog, I'd definitely follow. I'm a big fan of solidworks. I've been using sketchup to get my ideas down and figure out the layout of the camper, but as soon as I design the frame I'll go to solidworks. I can never get the cosmos FEM extensions to play well, but it's worth the pain, I think, at least, for the semi-automatic engineering drawing generation.

Sorry, I don't live closer to you. You are welcome to come to the Mid-West and poke, prod and drive all you wish though!
firefinder
Thanks!

MGKMartin said:
I have a 2004 M1088A1 that I am in the process of converting to a M1083A1. I am in Portland, OR and you are welcome to come down and get measurements, test drive, etc. This is my 3rd FMTV and I am happy to answer any questions you might have.
MGKMartin
Nice! Seems like a jackpot. Two birds with one stone. Saw your PM also. Thanks a lot! I'll get in touch.

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Navy doesn't use the FMTV class of vehicles. By my brother in-law used to be a civilian vehicle mechanic at ft Lewis. He has given me a bit of advise, however the folks here have been able to help me a lot more. My advice is if your not willing to tear into one of these and want to bring it to some one for work, then it's the wrong truck. For the most part they are quite simple.

sideburnie

Navy doesn't use the FMTV class of vehicles. By my brother in-law used to be a civilian vehicle mechanic at ft Lewis. He has given me a bit of advise, however the folks here have been able to help me a lot more. My advice is if your not willing to tear into one of these and want to bring it to some one for work, then it's the wrong truck. For the most part they are quite simple.
Ok, cool. For the most part I'm very willing to tear in. I'll likely even move some stuff around--like the transmission cooler, the air system, etc. My concern is the bigger stuff that might require a lift, a bearing press, etc.. An example: I think one of the (many) things I'll have to do is service the diffs and axles. Is this the kind of thing a person can do without a lift and a press? (I admit I haven't read through the TMs for this particular thing yet--just thinking of an example that might be hard for me). Maybe folks on here just take their vehicles to a civi truck/heavy-equipment mechanic in these cases?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have a lot of the specialty tool for the axles and just north of you. No lift or press though. The size of these trucks require special lifts. But it's easy enough to craw underneath.

sideburnie

Well I have a lot of the specialty tool for the axles and just north of you. No lift or press though. The size of these trucks require special lifts. But it's easy enough to craw underneath.
Ok, cool. PM Sent. Checked some of your posts, and it looks like there are already some posts on here about the axles. I will get reading and educate myself.

Any other folks on here in the Seattle area that work on these?

sideburnie

I do this stuff for a living and would love to help, but I'm little too far north and west being out in western Alaska.
shoot.... that is a reaaally long way to ship one of these things, but I guess not totally out of the question... I'll shoot you a PM regardless to get in touch. Thanks for offering to help.

snowtrac nome

I was kind of joking it is too far I live at the end of the Iditarod trail in Nome the only way here is by barge which is why my lmtv is still down there in Washington till June when the shipping season starts. I gave you my phone number I will be glad to share all knowledge I have about these riggs with you. I'm planning a second trip down there to move it to the docks this spring maby I could get together with a few of the member's in Washington when im down there.

sideburnie

I was kind of joking it is too far I live at the end of the Iditarod trail in Nome the only way here is by barge which is why my lmtv is still down there in Washington till June when the shipping season starts. I gave you my phone number I will be glad to share all knowledge I have about these riggs with you. I'm planning a second trip down there to move it to the docks this spring maby I could get together with a few of the member's in Washington when im down there.
Ah, haha, whoops. Yeah, definitely shoot me an email or give me a call to say hi when you're down here. Thanks for sharing your contact info. Definitely would be cool to grab beers and meet you and others in the area.

Waltjg

Hi Sideburnie,

I'm south of you a bit in Central OR. I have a couple LMTVs I am restoring and using to prototype some ideas and accessory products... I'm just a few hours away, if there's anything I can do to help you out

spankybear

I am not yet an owner but I am on the wet side... Snohomish/king county area. While I haven't worked on one of these yet I am an electronic tech and good are electrical troubleshooting. If anybody needs some help i might be able to give a hand. I have worked on electrical systems on CUCVs HMMWVs M422s and M151s in the past.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the years, I've accumulated a lot of local mechanical, sheet metal, interior, paint / finish vendors and suppliers.

I also work in the engineering field (certification and compliance more than design) so that helps.

Let me know what you are looking for and I may be able to point you toward some local people. Just send me a PM and we can go from there.

I'm just north of Seattle in Kenmore at the north end of Lake Washington.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks