• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Pre-Production Prototypes

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A general update on these two trucks. I've made some headway as to preserving them by cleaning them up and sorting VFD parts from the mil-spec parts stowed away in nearly every crevice of these trucks. Both trucks were indeed made before the "M" designator was issued to each type of vehicle meaning the green truck was the first XM1084 and the red was the first XM1088. They aren't stamped that way but supporting documentation in the XM1084's cab refers to it as an XM1084.

The rats beat me to the maintenance logbook in the cab of the XM1084 by probably a good 10-15 years. I've been able to salvage enough to build a picture of what was going on at one point in the time line and possibly the only road test. This truck was the only known unit to have ABS installed and went sent to Rockwell International in Jennerstown, PA from May 10th-May 28th, 1993 for brake test performance. With the ABS on/off switch on the dash it's clear they were making comparison tests on the same vehicle leading me to believe this was the only MTV ABS equipped unit. If a LMTV ABS equipped unit exists I've seen no indication at this time. Looking up the TOP 2-2-608 the XM1084 already exceeds the top gross weight of 20,400 kgs, if they fully loaded it down for highway testing, so any heavier trucks wouldn't be needed (wrecker, tractor w/ trailer, etc).

With so few miles the test was likely conducted and it shipped back to Sealy, TX where it stayed for reference material during production of the "A0" M1084s. Now what I find interesting is that the batteries were dated 02' which is close to the time it was donated to the VFD that received the XM1088 converted to tanker. I'd like to speculate that the truck was given away around then as the A1 trucks were being produced and the XM1084 was no longer a viable reference due to multiple changes in the A1 design: ABS, 3126, harness, etc.

The XM1084 is S/N TE002B
The XM1088 is S/N TE002D

These data points suggest there was a 2A and 2C prototype with possibly 2E onward. It's common that the military require a physical example of each model to field test and, like above, help the manufacturer as a physical blueprint. NDT said there was a LMTV outside the S&S plant for years and could have been one of these two unknown units. If we assumed the 2A was a XM1078 then it begs the question of what the 2C was. I can't even speculate on 2E onwards as there's no documentation I have suggesting it currently.

If anyone happens to know anyone who worked for S&S during these times please let me know. I have some signatures but no leads and would love some answers. As time passes history hides the answers from us just a little more. We are talking nearly 30 years ago now. The same gap between when most M35A2s came out and all the M939A2s rolled out. Big gap!

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update! Maybe @DDoyle would have some info for you?

A general update on these two trucks. I've made some headway as to preserving them by cleaning them up and sorting VFD parts from the mil-spec parts stowed away in nearly every crevice of these trucks. Both trucks were indeed made before the "M" designator was issued to each type of vehicle meaning the green truck was the first XM1084 and the red was the first XM1088. They aren't stamped that way but supporting documentation in the XM1084's cab refers to it as an XM1084.

The rats beat me to the maintenance logbook in the cab of the XM1084 by probably a good 10-15 years. I've been able to salvage enough to build a picture of what was going on at one point in the time line and possibly the only road test. This truck was the only known unit to have ABS installed and went sent to Rockwell International in Jennerstown, PA from May 10th-May 28th, 1993 for brake test performance. With the ABS on/off switch on the dash it's clear they were making comparison tests on the same vehicle leading me to believe this was the only MTV ABS equipped unit. If a LMTV ABS equipped unit exists I've seen no indication at this time. Looking up the TOP 2-2-608 the XM1084 already exceeds the top gross weight of 20,400 kgs, if they fully loaded it down for highway testing, so any heavier trucks wouldn't be needed (wrecker, tractor w/ trailer, etc).

With so few miles the test was likely conducted and it shipped back to Sealy, TX where it stayed for reference material during production of the "A0" M1084s. Now what I find interesting is that the batteries were dated 02' which is close to the time it was donated to the VFD that received the XM1088 converted to tanker. I'd like to speculate that the truck was given away around then as the A1 trucks were being produced and the XM1084 was no longer a viable reference due to multiple changes in the A1 design: ABS, 3126, harness, etc.

The XM1084 is S/N TE002B
The XM1088 is S/N TE002D

These data points suggest there was a 2A and 2C prototype with possibly 2E onward. It's common that the military require a physical example of each model to field test and, like above, help the manufacturer as a physical blueprint. NDT said there was a LMTV outside the S&S plant for years and could have been one of these two unknown units. If we assumed the 2A was a XM1078 then it begs the question of what the 2C was. I can't even speculate on 2E onwards as there's no documentation I have suggesting it currently.

If anyone happens to know anyone who worked for S&S during these times please let me know. I have some signatures but no leads and would love some answers. As time passes history hides the answers from us just a little more. We are talking nearly 30 years ago now. The same gap between when most M35A2s came out and all the M939A2s rolled out. Big gap!
So awsome to see this documentation.
Stewart and Stevenson was one of our customers backbin the 90s. Im digging through veeeery old records to find a name that knows a name. . The guys would be in there 80s I bet by now.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So awsome to see this documentation.
Stewart and Stevenson was one of our customers backbin the 90s. Im digging through veeeery old records to find a name that knows a name. . The guys would be in there 80s I bet by now.
Sounds like they've got time to share stories. I'll bring the sweat tea if they've got the rocking chairs on the porch. Lol.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a chance 5 0r 6 years ago to get a hybrid LMTV from a scrapper. I don’t remember exactly why I didn’t but I’m glad some one manage to save one. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Someone on facebook got it or a sister to it. I don't have the shop to bring these two trucks back unfortunately. They're for sale in the classifieds as a "best offer" more for the sake of preserving them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks