• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fmtv rework

INFChief

Is there any pitfalls in taking a FMTV and taking the fifth wheel off and installing a plate to make it a flatbed?
Some things to consider: Is this being driven on the road? My 1st thought is registering it and will you change the GVWR. My 2nd thought is when it comes time to sell it - will you convert it back or let the new owner worry about it. Lastly, will you need to go through some sort of inspection (Federal Motor compliance)?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is there any pitfalls in taking a FMTV and taking the fifth wheel off and installing a plate to make it a flatbed?
There is nothing wrong with it. I have a 1088A1R1 I am putting a 1079 box and comm fold porch on it.

Just take the oil cooler and hide it under the plate or bed you use if you want a little more protection from it with any debris or hauled items. This allows the catwalk to come off as well.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Some things to consider: Is this being driven on the road? My 1st thought is registering it and will you change the GVWR. My 2nd thought is when it comes time to sell it - will you convert it back or let the new owner worry about it. Lastly, will you need to go through some sort of inspection (Federal Motor compliance)?
Why would the GVWR need to be changed? They are the same truck. You can't exceed 18k on the steer or 34k on your drives. So you are going to stick to the 10k offroad maximum payload.

Both trucks are good for 14k weight on the rear and 7/8k on the steer in excess weight

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing you might notice is the 1088 has a heavier rear spring to hold more weight than say a 1083 and i think that is a good thing if your putting a camper build on top of your truck .

pappy59

Once the rework is done that is what it will stay. 5 ton cargo trucks are becoming harder to find but tractors are cheaper and easer to find.

INFChief

Why would the GVWR need to be changed? They are the same truck. You can't exceed 18k on the steer or 34k on your drives. So you are going to stick to the 10k offroad maximum payload.

Both trucks are good for 14k weight on the rear and 7/8k on the steer in excess weight
In some state’s registration & taxes are based on GVWR. Why not register it correctly; particularly if it will save headaches later in?

I may be wrong but a 1083A1 has a rated payload of 10,000 pounds and a rated towed load of 21,000. In no circumstances should a total weight of 26,000 be exceeded.

A 1088 has a 5th wheel load (vertical) of 25,000 and a rated towed load of 63,000.

The length of a 1088 is 270” and a 1083A1 is 283”. Both have the same wheel base of 161.4”.

I should go back & double check but I believe that the front axles are the same but the intermediate & the rear axles are different between the 2 models. I believe the rear springs are also different between the 2 models.

These trucks comply with the Federal Motor vehicle regulations. As such we can be stopped and weighed or inspected. Beyond the obligation we have to operate safely, we have a duty to ensure our equipment meets safety and engineering standards. Before anyone says “your truck needs to exceed XX,XXX pounds”. No argument. But how’s some State or Federal inspector going to know before you get pulled in to a safety inspection site?

As far as I’m concerned a guy can do whatever they want to their truck; have at it. Make no mistake, however, only we bear the responsibility of configuring, maintaining, & operating it in a legal and safe manner. What’s the big deal with pulling a 5th wheel and converting it to a flatbed? I don’t know. I’m not an engineer. In addition to my comments above, I do know that suspension has a lot to do with load, traction, road stability, and safe operation.

You are much more knowledgeable about these trucks and their capabilities than me so I’ll defer to you.

Warrior Chief; Out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
In some state’s registration & taxes are based on GVWR. Why not register it correctly; particularly if it will save headaches later in?

I may be wrong but a 1083A1 has a rated payload of 10,000 pounds and a rated towed load of 21,000. In no circumstances should a total weight of 26,000 be exceeded.

A 1088 has a 5th wheel load (vertical) of 25,000 and a rated towed load of 63,000.

The length of a 1088 is 270” and a 1083A1 is 283”. Both have the same wheel base of 161.4”.

I should go back & double check but I believe that the front axles are the same but the intermediate & the rear axles are different between the 2 models. I believe the rear springs are also different between the 2 models.

These trucks comply with the Federal Motor vehicle regulations. As such we can be stopped and weighed or inspected. Beyond the obligation we have to operate safely, we have a duty to ensure our equipment meets safety and engineering standards. Before anyone says “your truck needs to exceed XX,XXX pounds”. No argument. But how’s some State or Federal inspector going to know before you get pulled in to a safety inspection site?

As far as I’m concerned a guy can do whatever they want to their truck; have at it. Make no mistake, however, only we bear the responsibility of configuring, maintaining, & operating it in a legal and safe manner. What’s the big deal with pulling a 5th wheel and converting it to a flatbed? I don’t know. I’m not an engineer. In addition to my comments above, I do know that suspension has a lot to do with load, traction, road stability, and safe operation.

You are much more knowledgeable about these trucks and their capabilities than me so I’ll defer to you.

Warrior Chief; Out.
Depending on your state a DOT officer can not stop you. Some states also do not care about GVWR. In TN you can be 80,000lbs without a CDL, have air brakes and are exempt from any DOT since the law states that regardless of its size and weight it is still a historic military vehicle.

Doesn't matter on the towed load on the 5th wheel. Etc. Your bridge formula vs the axle rating is what matters. Either truck is safe with 34k maximum allowed on the drives if you want to go with the DOT man.

You also have reciprocity on crossing state lines with your vehicle under your state law. Exceeding 26k means nothing in certain states as a private vehicle This goes true in I know a t least 20 states

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part about 26000 not be exceeded isnt rite the 1083's weigh roughly 20,000 lbs with a 5 ton cargo rating =30,000 roughly and as far as a private camper it doesnt matter what you weigh (your not for hire) But if your recieving any kind of compensation for transporting something there is no low or high weight being the threshold like a cab or a courior to a 80,000 lb truck now your commercial !

INFChief

The part about 26000 not be exceeded isnt rite the 1083's weigh roughly 20,000 lbs with a 5 ton cargo rating =30,000 roughly and as far as a private camper it doesnt matter what you weigh (your not for hire) But if your recieving any kind of compensation for transporting something there is no low or high weight being the threshold like a cab or a courior to a 80,000 lb truck now your commercial !
You’re right; a 1083 weighs about 19600 (round up to 20,000). 20,000 + 10,000 payload = 30,000. The truck is fully capable of hauling that. What I didn’t make clear is that, in MY state, anything 26,000 and over requires a CDL. Air brakes is an endorsement.

And that’s part of the point I’m making; before modifying a truck a smart guy would check with their Motor Vehicle department on what licensure is required for the GVWR that their truck is - or will end up being characterized as.

I am a little surprised that there are states out there that could care less. Personally, I hate stacks & stacks of regulations. But that doesn’t relieve a owner / operator of a private (not for hire) vehicle from building and operating a safe vehicle. Get in to an accident or God forbid and accident with a fatality and no one will give a rats but what state you live in or what their motor vehicle regulations are.

As far as reciprocity; I just finished my CDL exam - and though my memory may be failing me - I’m pretty sure the federal manual stated that drivers would need to check each state’s requirements as not all states are the same. I don’t recall anything about states being mandated to accept your “home state” rules when hauling across state lines.

But he’ll; I’m a newbie and don’t know diddly squat.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You’re right; a 1083 weighs about 19600 (round up to 20,000). 20,000 + 10,000 payload = 30,000. The truck is fully capable of hauling that. What I didn’t make clear is that, in MY state, anything 26,000 and over requires a CDL. Air brakes is an endorsement.

And that’s part of the point I’m making; before modifying a truck a smart guy would check with their Motor Vehicle department on what licensure is required for the GVWR that their truck is - or will end up being characterized as.

I am a little surprised that there are states out there that could care less. Personally, I hate stacks & stacks of regulations. But that doesn’t relieve a owner / operator of a private (not for hire) vehicle from building and operating a safe vehicle. Get in to an accident or God forbid and accident with a fatality and no one will give a rats but what state you live in or what their motor vehicle regulations are.

As far as reciprocity; I just finished my CDL exam - and though my memory may be failing me - I’m pretty sure the federal manual stated that drivers would need to check each state’s requirements as not all states are the same. I don’t recall anything about states being mandated to accept your “home state” rules when hauling across state lines.

Vehicle registration falls under reciprocity. Such as if my state doesn't allow me to register trailers period but I get stopped in a state for no trailer tags etc they can't ticket you for not having your trailer registered.

Same thing on if your state requires you to registered your truck as a weighted class they can't stop you and ticket you for driving thru their state if your truck can't be registered as a weighted truck in your state.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

No not at all were really just covering 2 subjects camper/not for hire doesnt mean our vehicles dont have to meet all safety requirements it just cut the red tape out of private vehicles not be scrutinized as bad as commercial vehicles and if your hauling freight and getting paid then thats part of being in the trucking bizz !

INFChief

No not at all were really just covering 2 subjects camper/not for hire doesnt mean our vehicles dont have to meet all safety requirements it just cut the red tape out of private vehicles not be scrutinized as bad as commercial vehicles and if your hauling freight and getting paid then thats part of being in the trucking bizz !
And I get that, the private versus commercial. I’m also pointing out that (even though we could) a guy shouldn’t simply drop a ‘habitat’ on their truck or make all sorts of modifications without considering all angles. Don’t get me wrong though; I’ve done some sketchy stuff!

INFChief

NYS doesn’t care whether my vehicle private or commercial. They make no distinction.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I get that, the private versus commercial. I’m also pointing out that (even though we could) a guy shouldn’t simply drop a ‘habitat’ on their truck or make all sorts of modifications without considering all angles. Don’t get me wrong though; I’ve done some sketchy stuff!
Maybe all mods have been considerd but me racing down to the dmv and trying to get my veh thrown into the commercial end of lic. doesnt change anything about the safety of my veh that just makes me a fool for begging to get messed with when theyve already told me im not commercial ! STAY OUT OF MY SCALEHOUSE ! Dont bother me i wont bother you mentality . IMHO

INFChief

Maybe all mods have been considerd but me racing down to the dmv and trying to get my veh thrown into the commercial end of lic. doesnt change anything about the safety of my veh that just makes me a fool for begging to get messed with when theyve already told me im not commercial ! STAY OUT OF MY SCALEHOUSE ! Dont bother me i wont bother you mentality . IMHO
Sorry.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NYS doesn’t care whether my vehicle private or commercial. They make no distinction.
[/QUOTE
Why sure they do just try driving by a open scalehouse in a commercial veh they will come get you and not be nice about it ! And if your private veh they care less about you !

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some states that no matter what your using your truck for, commercial or private, that if your trucks GVWR is 26,001 lbs. or more they required you to registered your truck as commercial and get a CDL. To me, that is just crazy if your only using your truck for personal use only.

EDIT: Oops, brain fart. Should had said 10.001 lbs. or more lbs. Also, they say if it is 26,001 lbs. or more you need a CDL, no matter if commercial or personal usage.

..and some even use intrastate and interstate as contributing factors.

Last edited:

pappy59

There are some states that no matter what your using your truck for, commercial or private, that if your trucks GVWR is 26,001 lbs. or more they required you to registered your truck as commercial and get a CDL. To me, that is just crazy if your only using your truck for personal use only.

EDIT: Oops, brain fart. Should had said 10.001 lbs. or more lbs. Also, they say if it is 26,001 lbs. or more you need a CDL, no matter if commercial or personal usage.

..and some even use intrastate and interstate as contributing factors.
Thanks to all, I have enough info to make a decision.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks