• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV rims on 809-series

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone using 5-ton FMTV 2-piece rims on their 809-series truck with 14R20 XL's or other tires? If so, how's the offset? Thanks.
Chris

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They are 395/85R20, but I was planning on pulling those and mounting 14R20's. I'll see if I can get a pic of one of them.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is, the are always run the same way on a FMTV. I don't know if you could flip them to run on the back of a 809.

M1075

Okay, this is making a little sense now. I bought a lot of 395s from GL and 3 of the tires had 2 piece rims (20 bolts). The rims did have some external CTIS components that I removed. They must have been FMTV, but all along I thought the were M939 series. I used the rims on the front of a M52A2 with 14R20 tires. The offset is fine. It is just luck that I haven't tried to flip them to use on the rears. I don't know if they will work, but I assume they will.

When ordering replacement valve stems for other rims I have, I found out there are two type of valve stems, with one designed to air the tire up from either side and one can only be aired up from the nut side of the wheel. The second one might be from the FMTV rims. I am going to look into this some more. Good thought provoking thread SS!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
M1075 said:
Good thought provoking thread SS!
I do what I can :)

That's interesting that you have already tried them out and didn't realize it. Are the wheels lug-centered or hub-centered like standard 939 rims? You would have to convert them to 2-way valve stems or run a flex extension on the rears to keep them aired up. The last stopping point is are the lug holes counter-sunk on the back side like they are on the front?

David, some close-ups would be great.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

Great shots David! Thanks. The close-up on the lug holes makes it look like they are beveled on the outside only. I wonder what would happen if they were flipped and run on the rear. If they are hub-centered, they should ride just fine, but if they are lug-centered then I wouldn't think they work.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

The thing about the FMTV is they are not built as tough as a 900 series or even a duece. I noticed spring issues on one end and saw many of them at their limit with armor on them in Iraq. The lug nuts are hub centered you can see the slight bevel on the spare.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

Westech said:
flip your hubs. thats what I'm going to do
That thought crossed my mind tonight. Would that give you the same track width all the way back? I do like the look of the FMTV wheels all facing the same way. The supply of 939 2-piece rims is limited. There should be a lot more of the FMTV rims in the future with the reorganization of the military truck fleets. Hmmm, might have to give it a try. Is anyone on SS running 5-ton hubs flipped?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

There is one person Chris, on an M813 but I can't remember who.

DMgunn

Nice avatar, Westech.
Wonder how many guys here recognize the source. I've got it on DVD, and recommend it to all the M211/M135 owners.

Back on topic - I would be interested in seeing a pic of a truck with those wheels, also. They would look real nice on mine....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

There is one person Chris, on an M813 but I can't remember who.
Buggyman...or the guy who just sold the 813 out West to buy the HEMTT?