• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV rims on 809-series

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Re: RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

clinto said:
There is one person Chris, on an M813 but I can't remember who.
Buggyman...or the guy who just sold the 813 out West to buy the HEMTT?
You're right Clinto, it was Damon. Here's a pic I got from his eBay. Looks good. I'll have to search his threads to see how the hub flip went, unless you read this Damon and care to chime in here ;)

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

Those rims look complicated. And expensive. And look like they can break easily.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

maddawg308 said:
Those rims look complicated. And expensive. And look like they can break easily.
How do they look any more complicated or fragile than any other two-piece rim?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

The CTIS scares me. Valves to let air in and out add one more thing to fail on a rim, in addition to the fact that it's two piece in the first place.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pictures of FMTV Tires

maddawg308 said:
The CTIS scares me. Valves to let air in and out add one more thing to fail on a rim, in addition to the fact that it's two piece in the first place.
The CTIS doesn't weaken the rim. The wheel valve is secured to the clamp-ring studs. On the FMTV, one end of the air line comes through a hub stud and the other is secured to the regular wheel valve stem. So, the rim doesn't have any extra holes in it. If they were used on a 809-series, you wouldn't even be able to tell that there was CTIS attached originally.

I know that some of the early 8-bolt HMMWV rims had some issues with the wheel studs pulling loose, but I haven't heard the same of the 5-ton rims. I'm sure if they weren't torqued to spec or abused you could make them fail. Seeing that uncle has been using 2-piece rims off and on since the inception of the "jeep" and that all of the new trucks have them, they must be confident in their durability. I am anyways.

OSO

Westech I like your avatar also . I saw that album at a yard sale back in 1978 and bought it for the cover . The music was really different I saw the group in concert about 1976 . Movie was good too. [thumbzup]

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

OK I guess I was into country so clue us in on that one it interested me when I first saw his Avatar and wondered what it was can you illucidate?

DMgunn

Sorcerer.

Got it from Amazon. There is a bit of inconsistency and exagerrated drama in some of the driving scenes, but I love it anyway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think I remember parts of that movie. They were crossing a jungle in MVs correct? Now I have to go rent it

DMgunn

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
OK I guess I was into country so clue us in on that one it interested me when I first saw his Avatar and wondered what it was can you illucidate?
Wait just one minute.......you're into country music, yet you use a word like illucidate? WTH?? How can I make any sweeping generalizations about country music, pickups with stacks, Harleys on credit, and all that?

I listened to a lot of metal in the '90s, and am familiar with the word "lucid".....now THAT fits the stereotype...

So, anyway, has anyone figured out if these wheels will work both ways on a 5-ton?

Kidding about the music, BTW. Hope I'm not the only one who thinks I'm funny ocassionally.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

DMgunn said:
Kidding about the music, BTW. Hope I'm not the only one who thinks I'm funny ocassionally.
:lol:

M1075 was gonna check his rims for us (hint, hint).

I think the consensus so far is that the rims won't center on the lugs correctly since the back-side isn't countersunk. If that's correct, then you'd have to flip your rear hubs and run the rims front side out on all 6. I wanna get a set and give it a shot.

M1075

Has anyone here tried the FMTV wheels on an older 5 ton yet? Do you need to flip the hubs or can you just flip the wheel?

I no longer have the truck with the FMTV wheels on the front, but hope to get a full set soon and try them.

Attachments

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't have my M818 yet to try, but I'm going to flip the hubs. I have the wheels ready to mount, and yes, they are beveled on both side for lug nuts; but then you would have to change the valve stem, as it would be facing the hub(if the hub isn't flipped).
Also, the centers on the FMTV wheels are 5/16" thick, unlike the HEMMT wheels that are 1/2" thick, and I feel there might be a leverage problem (bent centers) if you were to flip the wheels.
I will have mine done within the next month, and will post pics.
Jimbo

M1075

GREAT info Jimbo! I am surprised to learn that they are beveled on both sides.