• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Small Arms Mount

aleigh

So yes I did look in the TM for this - trying to use the small arms mount on my LMTV, with a flat-top AR and an ACOG, the optics are shoved into the back of the cab (the wooden plastic whatever interior panel on the back). The rifle can be made to fit if you shove a bit and use force, but it doesn't seem like a well idea to store a rifle with the optics group under pressure, especially if the thing is going offroad.

Rifle can't go sideways because the stock and didn't seem to want to go optics out (because of the grip).

Is there some wisdom about this, or did guys just not use the mounts if they had optics? Seems sort of puzzling. TM (which amusingly did cover the mounts) seemed to have no wisdom for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/24226512129

Killer_Junior

I'm guessing that when the FMTV series was designed, the spec. they used for the mount sizing was the standard M-16A2 with the fixed carry handle. The M-16A4 and M-4 series with detachable carry handles and optics weren't standardized until later...and if you look at rifle racks in armories and other places, there are more than a few that require the optics to be taken off before they are fitted in the rack.

Perhaps a spacer block under the top clamp assembly might do the trick.

aleigh

That's a good idea about the block, to move it away from the wall... thanks. Agreed, I think they were very literal about the spec - the mounts clearly want the round hand-guards too, not rails - you'd think of ALL the things the military would have solved THIS problem by now...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you turn the butt pocket sideways (i.e. so the magazine pointed toward the side of the cab not the front of the cab)?

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about this some too. Any rifle or shotgun with a decent length barrel is too long. Maybe just take the factory upper holders loose and use those mounting holes for a custom mount to hold a couple long guns in a horizontal position? I understand for safety reasons that may not be as ideal if carrying a loaded firearm, but just a thought. If you wanted to keep them vertical then I wonder how much work it would be to cut loose the bottom butt holder pockets and turn them sideways or make your own mounts to hold the rifles turned sideways.

aleigh

I think the proposed block idea would work - move the mounts out a couple of inches and just use longer bolts. A buddy of mine is a machinist and he sometimes uses this super hard plastic stuff they can mill in the machines - seems like that would be perfect. Just drill a couple holes. When I get back home I plan to see if I can get some pieces from him.

The upper mount is going to scratch the $#@ out of my rail though. So, I think the better thing is to replace the upper mount entirely with a "super quick fist" or comparable product. Then all manner of guns would fit. I most usually want to have my Marlin 1895G (bears and whatnot), not an AR anyways, and that has a traditional stock. Thankfully it's really short.

If you have long gun yeah I think you'd have to go horizontal. Like a pickup rack. Probably just bolt one of those up to the cab frankly. I don't think it is too much of a safety issue - guys have been hanging guns in their pickups for years.

Has anyone got pictures / seen the newer oshkosh trucks? they still using the same small arms mounts?

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the proposed block idea would work - move the mounts out a couple of inches and just use longer bolts. A buddy of mine is a machinist and he sometimes uses this super hard plastic stuff they can mill in the machines - seems like that would be perfect. Just drill a couple holes. When I get back home I plan to see if I can get some pieces from him.

The upper mount is going to scratch the $#@ out of my rail though. So, I think the better thing is to replace the upper mount entirely with a "super quick fist" or comparable product. Then all manner of guns would fit. I most usually want to have my Marlin 1895G (bears and whatnot), not an AR anyways, and that has a traditional stock. Thankfully it's really short.

If you have long gun yeah I think you'd have to go horizontal. Like a pickup rack. Probably just bolt one of those up to the cab frankly. I don't think it is too much of a safety issue - guys have been hanging guns in their pickups for years.

Has anyone got pictures / seen the newer oshkosh trucks? they still using the same small arms mounts?
I think the material you are talking about is Delrin.