• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV tire wear comparison 395x85R20

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have no preconceived ideas on how many miles to expect to get out of a set of tires and was curious what everyone’s real world experience has been with the different tires.
My experience has been with a set of unused 2008 Michelin XZL tires I installed 6 years ago.
I was hoping to get 10k out of them and I’m happy to say I’m going on 15k I think they could go another 5-10k.
I know…….running old tires is risky, dangerous all that. I fully understand the risk.
I’m just wanting to know what kind of miles you guys have gotten out of Goodyear and Michelin Not judging!

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The people I've talked to say 30k to 35k

Have you experienced a tire blow out yet? You'll be a believer in brand new tires in a hurry.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This tire was a 2008 and looked really new. I have no idea how many miles are on it before I got it but the treadwear looked like not that much. I've only put a little over 2,000 miles on the truck since I got it a year and a half ago. It just decided to blow its sidewall while just driving down the street at 30 miles an hour... Trying to make it to a spot where I could pull over and change the tire continued the shredding to what you see there.
Screenshot_20230803-203958.png

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This tire was a 2008 and looked really new. I have no idea how many miles are on it before I got it but the treadwear looked like not that much. I've only put a little over 2,000 miles on the truck since I got it a year and a half ago. It just decided to blow its sidewall while just driving down the street at 30 miles an hour... Trying to make it to a spot where I could pull over and change the tire continued the shredding to what you see there.
View attachment 906813
Just think if you were going 70 when it blew ????????? As tall as the sidewalls are (no matter who made them or when) on the Lm trucks say a front steer pops at 65 or 70 just how much and how fast that rim is at pavement level seems to me to add to the insult of NOW WHAT wouldnt you think that the rear opposite side tire will now have a lot of weight taken off it at that same moment to make it even harder to control and try like hell to get it stopped ???? I would think that the fm trucks wouldnt be as noticeable in the same event with 4 on the ground in the rear instead of 2 ! Just something to think about when your tooling down the road at 70 mph ! And ..............................................................BOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I would not want to be party to an at-speed blowout. Lost mine at an off ramp at a dead stop and had to drive 1/4 mile to where I could stop and change it. Whole lotta NOPE. My tires were 2008 MV/T's - original to my truck.

IMG_20230927_161019.jpg

IMG_20230927_161044.jpg

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just think if you were going 70 when it blew ????????? As tall as the sidewalls are (no matter who made them or when) on the Lm trucks say a front steer pops at 65 or 70 just how much and how fast that rim is at pavement level seems to me to add to the insult of NOW WHAT wouldnt you think that the rear opposite side tire will now have a lot of weight taken off it at that same moment to make it even harder to control and try like hell to get it stopped ???? I would think that the fm trucks wouldnt be as noticeable in the same event with 4 on the ground in the rear instead of 2 ! Just something to think about when your tooling down the road at 70 mph ! And ..............................................................BOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My truck skulks jealously at trucks even able to go 60! One day I hope to get the Eco hubs but right now it's just standard gearing

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one should be driving this vehicle at 70 to start with!
I’m not wanting this to turn into a discussion of what we shouldn’t be doing, we all take a risk driving these vehicles…..something bad is going to happen at any moment…..it’s a given. Be ready for it drive smart!
I started this thread for data! So if we could just accept people are taking the risk and driving on old tires and move on and discuss real world mileage out of the tires, brand and age. So we can learn what we can expect. Even tire failure and at what age. I’m wanting raw data without criticism.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one should be driving this vehicle at 70 to start with!
I’m not wanting this to turn into a discussion of what we shouldn’t be doing, we all take a risk driving these vehicles…..something bad is going to happen at any moment…..it’s a given. Be ready for it drive smart!
I started this thread for data! So if we could just accept people are taking the risk and driving on old tires and move on and discuss real world mileage out of the tires, brand and age. So we can learn what we can expect. Even tire failure and at what age. I’m wanting raw data without criticism.
I think it will be hard to nail down much info on mileage on these tires even if you started with a brand new set no one drives these thing enough to wear down a set age always seems to get them first from all i read on here

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I would not want to be party to an at-speed blowout. Lost mine at an off ramp at a dead stop and had to drive 1/4 mile to where I could stop and change it. Whole lotta NOPE. My tires were 2008 MV/T's - original to my truck.

View attachment 906862

View attachment 906863
Last winter i was delivering a 1082 to a fella about 50 miles away in the rain with an empty trailer i blew a tire 2 miles from the guys house ! I had to lay in a mini river lol under the trailer and just lucky enough he drove his 1078 down to meet us and use his spare so it was cold and wet and running 70 psi in the tires with great tread so im of the belief that not if but when on these 395s !

Third From Texas

YMMV quite literally. I've had 2020's blow on me and still have a 2006 MV/T as a rear on my M1089A1 that looks great.
Agreed.

I think it has a lot to do with the environment ( <shakes fist at the sky> "damn you climate change !!!!!" ). If the truck was parked in a swamp in Guam and left aired down, the tires are going to be pretty sketch. If that same truck was sitting in a hangar in the desert and moved a couple times a year it's another story.

I've only had one tire blow out on me at highway speed in my lifetime. I was in my pickup doing 80 an the left steer tire let go. I was left lane on a divided Louisiana highway with trees in the middle and it put me in the soft soil, almost rolled me, and I was five feet short of the treeline. I'm pretty sure the ABS save my life that day. Things happen real fast with a blowout, that's for certain. I don't want to experience on in this truck.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do 80+ in my 370 HP M1079 without issue. My tires are 2021 manufacture though. With ECO hubs and the speeds they are capable of..... I don't know of a single ECO hub customer that hasn't at least tried it to see how fast the truck is now. Saying you should NEVER go over 70 in these trucks is a statement from the point of view of a truck that really doesn't like those speeds since it's the top of the RPM range and MAX effort so it feels like it's going to come apart. With ECO hubs and half the drivetrain RPM plus no reduction hub lash, etc it's like driving any other normal (big) truck and assuming your steering and alignment is correct they are perfectly happy cruising at 75-80 (where legal[ish] to do so of course).

My truck spent time in Kuwait, and then El-Paso and accumulated 2045 miles before the Army get rid of it. The original 2008 tires lasted another 5k miles before I had the massive failure seen above. Basically no warning. I heard a hissing noise in time to the vehicle speed/tire rotation and by the time I got to the end of the off ramp it went to the deck.

shawnspeak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 12k on 2019 MV/T's and figure I'd get to around 25-30k if I spent more time on-road and tread depth was the only concern. The overlanding we do though has not been kind to the treads and will probably necessitate some replacements before getting to that point.

I stay around 75psi on-road which seems to give me very even wear.. Off-road is a mix of pressures based on conditions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks