• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV wheel locked

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1083a1 has been parked for a few months. Went to move it today and the middle right (passenger) wheel is locked. The other 5 turn but mid right drags without turning. Caged the brake on that side and still no luck. Has anyone experienced this before? Any idea what to check?

oregonfirefighter

Have had this happen a few times....with mine it was the brakes sticking to the drums. Can of WD40 sprayed over the pads ( will smoke later) let sit overnight, then pop the edge of shoes with a hammer a couple of times. Once that didn't free them, so I took it out on asphalt put transmission into MODE then forward and backwards a few times and POP!

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, both forward and reverse ~150- ft. on gravel. If it is just the pad rusted to the drum I can take it out on pavement and see if that breaks it free. Didn't know if there was something else going on and don't want to break something if I don't have to.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both cans are cages, pads have been whacked. Anything else it is likely to be? If not, I will take it down to the asphalt and drive back and forth a bit and see if it will break free.

snowtrac nome

avoid petroleum products on brake friction surfaces. The shoes have rusted to the drums, this is pretty common, block the wheels so it cant roll, build air pressure release the brakes, and beat on the drums a couple of times with a bfh you will see the shoes pop loose set the brakes remove your blocks and drive into the sunset.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have had this happen multiple times on m939 trucks not lmtv and a good rocking usually does the trick. I dont want to see you ruin a tire though.

oregonfirefighter

The WD-40 dvicd was given to me by an active duty Heavy Mech.... Told me thats what they use in the big ole sandbox.
avoid petroleum products on brake friction surfaces. The shoes have rusted to the drums, this is pretty common, block the wheels so it cant roll, build air pressure release the brakes, and beat on the drums a couple of times with a bfh you will see the shoes pop loose set the brakes remove your blocks and drive into the sunset.

snowtrac nome

petroleum products not only are flammable but will adversely affect the friction surface causing the wheel to lock up, that's why shoes are replaced when oil soaked. I had morons in the sand box telling me to remove all thermostats in vehicles under my control too. I argued the point got permission put in t-stats that were removed and replace the old ones. never had an engine fail out of my 80 vehicles we were responsible for. I found it impossible to explain to the bone head officers that the thermostat was needed to slow the flow of coolant to ensure proper heat exchange as well as to aid the engine in warm up . Back to the subject oil on your brakes is bad avoid ,it the linings are like a sponge you will never get it all out.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for the advice. Caged brakes + BFH + getting the truck off of gravel and down to the road and driving forward and back ~10 times finally broke the wheel free.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If it's both rear wheels, as in brakes not releasing, the compounding valve can be stuck. Some air dryer alcohol in the system can help with that. Happens more in the cold though.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Before air dryers there were alcohol bottles on air systems to help with moisture. If its cold and you have frozen moisture in your air system you can put special alcohol in your air system. It goes in past the air dryer. Air system alcohol is probably better wording for it than air dryer alcohol. My mistake.

Vintage iron

If that wheel sticks repeatedly after you break it free and bust the rust off. Then you will need to tear down the wedge assemblies, clean them and lube them good. I have found the LMTV/FMTV don't have enough grease in the wedge assemblies and they will stick.

Reworked LMTV

Before air dryers there were alcohol bottles on air systems to help with moisture. If its cold and you have frozen moisture in your air system you can put special alcohol in your air system. It goes in past the air dryer. Air system alcohol is probably better wording for it than air dryer alcohol. My mistake.
Sorry, I guess I'm not sure that I understand you. Would you add alcohol to a newer type system after the drier? What type of alcohol is it? Would this loosen up the valve then by repeatedly hitting the brakes or something?

snowtrac nome

I prefer to refrain from alcohol unless it is an emergency. alcohol is a solvent and corrosive it will remove lube in your relay valves and cause corrosion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks