• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV wheels and other thoughts

K5Cruz

I recently acquired some 395's and I want to get them on my deuce. I've searched and read and searched and read over the last week or so and I've got a lot of my questions answered, but I've still got a few.

Is anyone currently producing a HEMTT style plate for the FMTV wheel? I've seen the ongoing 6 to 10 lug adapter plate thread, but it seems to be at a stand still.

I've seen a few FMTV wheels recentered with deuce centers. Would it be possible to buy some centers and have them welded into the FMTV wheels, like they do to the Hummer wheels? Machining off the 10 bolt pattern isnt that big of a deal for either solution.

Ideally I'd like to find some A3 wheels with the beadlock inserts, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger and spending 500+ per wheel on a $1300 truck. No luck finding any used locally. Anyone got an OK source for used A3s?

I'm to the point of mounting the 395's on stock wheels if I can figure out which tubes to use, but I'm not sure anyone local to me will accept the liability. I might attempt it myself, just looks like a real workout. And OK tire shops willing to mount 395's on stock wheels?

Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times, I've really exhausted my search capability.

K5Cruz

No one?

Due to lack of concrete information I've decided to put the 395's on the stock wheels as soon as I get my goodyears sold and have the money to buy the tubes and flaps. What size tubes and flaps do I need and where can I find them? The older links to tubes in some of my searches dont work.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would stop in at some machine shops in the area and ask about them doing the deuce centers in the 5ton rim. If you decide to run the 395s on stock tires, use a 1300/1400r20 tube. Yes some have used smaller tubes, but if it was honestly ok, they wouldn't make larger sized tubes. Try tyres international in TX, thats where I got my tubes from. Make sure you look around and know what good prices are, I was able to get mine cheaper than the original quote.

Also, mention you are looking for radial tubes, not bias-ply.

Last edited:

welldigger

I picked up 7 a3 wheels for $200 each last week. I plan on mounting some 395's on them. The guy I picked mine up from had 2 wheels left if your interested. Also there's a place here in Shreveport that can cut centers and adapter plates. Or whole new wheels if you want. Pm for details.

K5Cruz

I would stop in at some machine shops in the area and ask about them doing the deuce centers in the 5ton rim. If you decide to run the 395s on stock tires, use a 1300/1400r20 tube. Yes some have used smaller tubes, but if it was honestly ok, they wouldn't make larger sized tubes. Try tyres international in TX, thats where I got my tubes from. Make sure you look around and know what good prices are, I was able to get mine cheaper than the original quote.

Also, mention you are looking for radial tubes, not bias-ply.
Fantastic, thank you. I was thinking I needed tubes that size, just needed conformation. If using the stock wheels I intend to do it as safely as possible. Finally found a tire shop that not only knew what I was talking about, but had a cage and a good price for the labor.

I'd still love to have some a3 wheels, but these MVT's arent moving as fast as I had hoped they would, so the money I was going to use is still tied up in tires in my shop.

I plan on keeping the FMTV wheels for recentering or finding adapter plates for in the future. Or I might end up with a 5 ton someday.

Last edited:

peashooter

I've seen a few FMTV wheels recentered with deuce centers. Would it be possible to buy some centers and have them welded into the FMTV wheels, like they do to the Hummer wheels? Machining off the 10 bolt pattern isnt that big of a deal for either solution.
Here are some pics for someone that just did this with standard MRAP adapters welded into the FMTV wheels. I think there are a couple options out there now for getting a FMTV wheel to fit a deuce. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tyles-Prices&p=1327823&viewfull=1#post1327823