• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMV Title Help in Tx

soldierman79

My trip to the Bexar County Tax office went less than productive.

I bought a 86 M1009 CUCV from a Police Dept and I need to get it titled. I took the Form 130-U to the tax office and they got really confused. There was multiple calls to Austin and much stammering, stuttering and "I don't knows" involved.
Long story short they say I need to get the vehicle inspected by a law enforcement agency to determine if it's been stolen or not. :???:
Then I will need to do 1 of 3 things to get a title:

1. Court Order for a Title
2. Bonded Title
3. A Title Hearing

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I already checked the following thread for info and it deals with insurance, registration, etc...no title info that I could find.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...-texas-fmv-laws-former-military-vehicles.html

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, let me help you out with this.

GO TO A DIFFERENT OFFICE.

I ended up going to three different ones until I got someone who understood what I wanted. I ended up at the Hurst, Texas licensing office when I found a lady that went, 'do you want the plate or do you want to register it with bumper numbers'.

It was EASY after that.

DO NOT GO TO ANY LEO - because there is literally NOTHING they can do for you. As a matter of fact, they will send you BACK to the licensing office. You will only get frustrated.

The people in Austin make it WORSE, not better because they literally do NOT know their own computer system.

You just need to have some patience and start checking around for different offices. I'm pretty sure Bexar county probably has five or six spread over the county.

Perhaps one of our members down THERE can help out.

I will admit that my two trucks (M1009 & M1028A2) already HAD titles from Colorado. BUT, my two trailers only had a bill of sale. THAT WAS ALL. I did have to go get each trailer weighed at a certified public scale... but that's because they were trailers. AND I registered both of them with bumper numbers as well.

If you need more info, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help sort it out for you.

YOU WILL NEED A VIN VERIFICATION, but at the office I went to, they said if I had driven it in, THEY would have just gone out and looked at the VIN themselves.

And the 'page' these folks are looking for is connected to the 'Vintage Vehicle' registration page. But as I did not get a look at their computer screen, all you can do is 'suggest' they consider looking at 'Vintage/Antique' vehicles page.

It sounds like you have issues with the OFFICE you chose. Once they have to call Austin, you might as well thank them for their time and go to the next office on your list.

AND you need to speak to the head person (or the person who's been there the longest) in the office, because they probably know the computer system software better than most.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need help.

You WILL NEED printed pix of your front and rear bumpers IF you go the bumper number route. Realize that IF you go with bumper numbers, MAKE SURE YOU SUPPLY THEM WITH SIX DIGITS (alpha/numeric is fine) Like this:

My M1009 bumper numbers are HQ-0221

View attachment 348420

View attachment 348421

And my M1028A2 bumper numbers are HQ-0220

View attachment 348422

View attachment 348423

YOU CAN CHOOSE your own bumper numbers. As long as there are SIX of them. DO NOT TELL THEM you choose them, as it seems to confuse some clerks. Just tell them, "my bumper numbers are" XXXXXX

Note they need to be on the front left and rear right of the bumper. At least that's what I was told.

sniperboy

If you are still having trouble with your title call this lady: Tuesdee Knight 903-887-2285. All I had was a sales recpt. Paid her 325.00 and got a clear Texas Title. She will send you a packet of documents and clear instructions. Took about 4 weeks to get it done.

soldierman79

If you are still having trouble with your title call this lady: Tuesdee Knight 903-887-2285. All I had was a sales recpt. Paid her 325.00 and got a clear Texas Title. She will send you a packet of documents and clear instructions. Took about 4 weeks to get it done.
I'm gonna have to give her a call! Thanks brother!:-D

soldierman79

OK, let me help you out with this.

GO TO A DIFFERENT OFFICE.

I ended up going to three different ones until I got someone who understood what I wanted. I ended up at the Hurst, Texas licensing office when I found a lady that went, 'do you want the plate or do you want to register it with bumper numbers'.

It was EASY after that.

DO NOT GO TO ANY LEO - because there is literally NOTHING they can do for you. As a matter of fact, they will send you BACK to the licensing office. You will only get frustrated.

The people in Austin make it WORSE, not better because they literally do NOT know their own computer system.

You just need to have some patience and start checking around for different offices. I'm pretty sure Bexar county probably has five or six spread over the county.

Perhaps one of our members down THERE can help out.

I will admit that my two trucks (M1009 & M1028A2) already HAD titles from Colorado. BUT, my two trailers only had a bill of sale. THAT WAS ALL. I did have to go get each trailer weighed at a certified public scale... but that's because they were trailers. AND I registered both of them with bumper numbers as well.

If you need more info, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help sort it out for you.

YOU WILL NEED A VIN VERIFICATION, but at the office I went to, they said if I had driven it in, THEY would have just gone out and looked at the VIN themselves.

And the 'page' these folks are looking for is connected to the 'Vintage Vehicle' registration page. But as I did not get a look at their computer screen, all you can do is 'suggest' they consider looking at 'Vintage/Antique' vehicles page.

It sounds like you have issues with the OFFICE you chose. Once they have to call Austin, you might as well thank them for their time and go to the next office on your list.

AND you need to speak to the head person (or the person who's been there the longest) in the office, because they probably know the computer system software better than most.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need help.

You WILL NEED printed pix of your front and rear bumpers IF you go the bumper number route. Realize that IF you go with bumper numbers, MAKE SURE YOU SUPPLY THEM WITH SIX DIGITS (alpha/numeric is fine) Like this:

My M1009 bumper numbers are HQ-0221

View attachment 348420

View attachment 348421

And my M1028A2 bumper numbers are HQ-0220

View attachment 348422

View attachment 348423

YOU CAN CHOOSE your own bumper numbers. As long as there are SIX of them. DO NOT TELL THEM you choose them, as it seems to confuse some clerks. Just tell them, "my bumper numbers are" XXXXXX

Note they need to be on the front left and rear right of the bumper. At least that's what I was told.
Great info! If I can't find an office that will help i'll call that other number.

I greatly appreciate all the help y'all!

86m1028

Dont waste your money with 3rd party title people.

The sf-97 is a Government Title.

All you need is an sf97 & your bill of sale from gl.
Ask for the supervisor at the tax office.
Explain to them the sf97 is the TITLE from the government.
Pay your taxes, get your plates & go.
Im in the same state as you & have done this over 30 times.
Like others have said go to differnt offices or call them.

eagle4g63

Am I the ONLY one that caught......"I bought a 86 M1009 CUCV from a Police Dept".......BMV told him....."I need to get the vehicle inspected by a law enforcement agency"...:cookoo:

Seams to me that it WAS inspected by the POLICE they are the ones that sold him the truck!!!

I agree....go to another office and get it done with someone that doesn't have a bug eating their brain cells......

I had the DMV tell me when I went to put Historical plates on my deuce(after having it plated for a year already in my name) that I had to get the truck inspected by the "State" police to make sure the vin matched and it wasn't stolen......after arguing I went anyway with the forms and the Officer laughed and called them back up yelling at them about wasting his and my time with non important paperwork that the state already says I own the truck and the title is in my name with the correct vin number!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I think the lady was even madder at me but I went back to the same girl just to prove my point that she didn't know $%^T about here job!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PD owes you a negotiable title. It their responsibility to get a title in the PD's name and then sign it over to you. Not your problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks