• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMVSS compliance for HMMWV

Jeff MD

So, this may have been asked, but has anyone paid a shop or had a shop go through their truck to see what does and does not comply with FMVSS.

Maryland wants to know what it would take to have the truck comply with FMVSS. I know that the below IMO makes this pointless, but I want to document this beyond a shadow of any doubt.

A) The HMMWV was exempt at the time of manufacture and I have heard that it carries that exemption for the life of the vehicle. (Any documentation?)

B) MIL-STD-1108B (attached) states that military vehicles meet the FMVSS standards and in many cases exceeds the requirements. This was also used to challenge the DMV and won in Wisconsin (attached).

Anyone have further documentation? Please attach references.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HMMWV fails in FMVSS specs in areas such as padded dash and steering wheel, side impact protection, 3 point seat belts. Look at a H1 for what is missing.

Jeff MD

The HMMWV fails in FMVSS specs in areas such as padded dash and steering wheel, side impact protection, 3 point seat belts. Look at a H1 for what is missing.
Does that apply to the M1123 which is more than 10,000 pounds and falls into the same category as dump trucks? I also have a 3-point seatbelt in my truck...

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does that apply to the M1123 which is more than 10,000 pounds and falls into the same category as dump trucks? I also have a 3-point seatbelt in my truck...
Yes.

View USC 49 chapter 301

This thread can carry on what your looking for however the thread where MD has banned most trucks is probably your best bet.

Attachments

Jeff MD

Yes.

View USC 49 chapter 301
That letter from AM General is not legit and goes contrary to what the NHTSA told them:

“From the information presented to us by AM General we concluded that the trucks in question spend 60% of their operational life on primary and secondary roads, and that therefore they have been manufactured primarily for use on such public roads."

"Although Congress expressed no intent that military vehicles be excluded from the coverage of the Act, the agency determined for reasons of policy that vehicles manufactured pursuant to military specifications should be exempted from conformance with the Federal motor vehicle safety standards issued under the authority of the Act. Comments received at the end of 1966 in response to the proposals for the initial standards raised the possibility that compliance in some instances could affect the capability of equipment to fulfill its military mission, and therefore when the standards were adopted, military vehicles were exempted under 49 CFR 571.7(c), but the agency relinquished no other jurisdiction over them. ”
More importantly still, despite the exemption from the FMVSS, and the general misconception, the Humvee does still comply to the federal safety standards, the NHTSA further states:

“…the Department of Defense in apparent recognition that its vehicles are "motor vehicles" has attempted to ensure that they conform with the Federal safety standards to the extent practicable, as evidenced by MIL-STD-1180B…”

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Then follow up in the ongoing thread regarding MVs in Maryland.

However I have am that same issue with FMVSS on a M915 semi truck as I had a wreck in Maryland, not even being at fault and the secretary of state is insisting that it shouldn't have been on their roads with it being previous military even though it is legal in my home state and had a current DOT inspection. The 915 is based off a FLD120 truck.

My local AG has been trying to explain it to them with crayons and puppets and they don't get it.

Jeff MD

[/QUOTE]
Then follow up in the ongoing thread regarding MVs in Maryland.

However I have am that same issue with FMVSS on a M915 semi truck as I had a wreck in Maryland, not even being at fault and the secretary of state is insisting that it shouldn't have been on their roads with it being previous military even though it is legal in my home state and had a current DOT inspection. The 915 is based off a FLD120 truck.

My local AG has been trying to explain it to them with crayons and puppets and they don't get it.
Wow. That sucks. Yes I have been posting in that thread, but wanted to see if anyone had in general had any luck inspecting their vehicles for FMVSS compliance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Wow. That sucks. Yes I have been posting in that thread, but wanted to see if anyone had in general had any luck inspecting their vehicles for FMVSS compliance.
[/QUOTE]

Jeff MD

[/QUOTE]

Maybe one of the latest updates I made on the Maryland thread will help your situation out?

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...m-road-in-maryland.193109/page-9#post-2347644

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My situation isn't a big deal at all. Just some small guy in the sec of state office trying play hardball and use his education. However i have the same education he has but I fight on the other side.

Truck falls under reciprocity and He is just an idiot that can't really do anything. He can't suspend a registration/title/ license or be in control over someone that doesn't live under his jurisdiction. If he doesn't like reciprocity he should talk to his own legislation folks. The letter I wrote telling him and I quote, " kick rocks " must have hurt his feelings.

Jeff MD

“The DoD has ATTEMPTED to ensure they conform to federal safety standards”

Very true, but elsewhere it says that it is policy...

Although vehicles and equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications are specifically exempted from the provisions of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), it is the established policy of the Army to comply with the intent of those standards as long as compliance does not degrade essential military characteristics. With the same limitation, compliance with applicable provisions of (Federal) Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (MCSR) is an Army requirement.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks