• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG from Sparta WI

EagleWrench

Hello from Sparta WI. My name is Jeff Wessels. I work on FT McCoy i am a retired AD 63Z, and a gov LOGGy bubba now. Just bought my first 1008 from the GL site here at FT McCoy. I was pretty excited until i found out WI changed the law OCT 10 and all MV must be plated with Historic plates. Meaning parades and maintenance are the only times you can have you military vehicles on the road. I had plans to haul wood plow snow and do a little huntin with my new toy however the great state of WI changed all that. Love the site. Great tool. If anyone needs some help from up this way let me know. I will be posting my truck inthe classifieds if i can figure out how to. Could not find the post to button. WI folks need to raise up to chalange this law. If you have a regular plate on your MV now you will be forced to put the Military Historic plate on it.

EagleWrench

lacoda56

Welcome to the site! Good to see more people from Wis. on here. There's several threads about the dmv's ban
on mv's. You might want to hold off on selling for a while and see what happens.

Ron

Welcome. You need more posts (5 I think) before you can list in the classifieds.
We did do something about the MV registration, we booted Doyle and few other pieces of crud. Now we gotta work on the laws.
Wisconsin has a strong MV following and I hope you stay involved. I will be up at McCoy again as soon as my EUC clears. Maybe you can buy lunch.:D

Driver523

Parades and maintenence only?----that mean all the MVs gotta be trailered to Iola?--only been there one time but if thats true wouldn't it about do that gathering in?????

Parades and maintenence only?----that mean all the MVs gotta be trailered to Iola?--only been there one time but if thats true wouldn't it about do that gathering in?????
No, Iola is an MV event. I think the law has provisions for "Show Events". Here is what it says:

"Historic military vehicle registration allows operation only to and from special occasions, such as parades and show events and for regular maintenance."

Interpret it as you want, I'm gonna.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. I've been bidding on some stuff at Sparta but haven't won anything yet. Might have to meet up for lunch if I ever pull the trigger at the right amount.

As far as the WI laws; prior military vehicles need a LOT of maintenance so you you should be able to drive (maybe not daily) a considerable amount. I know my M1010 needs driven at least 1 hour a week just to keep the batteries charged ;)

gonorth

Jeff, I will be at McCoy Wednesday morning (tomorrow) to pick up a trailer and look over what is comeing up. Do you want to meet up for lunch? I am pretty flexible as to when I arrive. I will send you my cell phone number in a private message.

As for maintanence, my trucks are licensed with Minnesota collector plates and yup M35A2's and my 1950's 3/4 ton trucks always have something wrong with them and you do have to drive them to figure out what it is and then to see if whatever it is got fixed. Right now I have several oil leaks and an air leak and I know it will take a long time to diagnose and fix them all. I also would expect that most law enforcement would be pretty dang understanding about the situation too.

Monty

Welcome to the site, there's alot of great people on here and tons of great information.

Don't sell the truck just yet keep an eye on the laws and hopefully we can get them changed.

EagleWrench

reasons for operating

Thanks everyone for the hints. My list started with "there is a noise in the drive train officer and i cant seem to find it. The Maint piece is a good one also. I will through the Armys Low usage program at them also. I like the hour a day !! As far as the DMV they called me on my cell. I knew this had to be bad news. What the Guy " BoB" said is if the truckhad a "meet all safety requirements sticker like all civilian trucks/cars have on the door jam i could through a reg plate on it. That was a trick question i am sure. teh last thing a TACT MV will have is that sticker. So it stuck. Why ant we get it inspected?? No answer. The only safety thing i see on the truck is the lack of a licsense plate light. I plan tyo right some notes to the NEWBIES in the MADISON. PICS will help. They wont even know the law exists. I will show them a pics of the truck and ask if they like losing $105.00 a year to the DMV. Again thanks for the welcome. Best day to eat lunch on post at McCoys is Thursday chicken. posted a couple o f pics. It side racks complete but dont need them. They make great deer stands

EW

Attachments

CatMan

New in Sparta WI

Hey Eagle,

Don't pull the panick chain just yet. We have been working this MV license issue for about 3 years now. The New HMV law that we created with the state legislature and became law on Ocober 1 provides protection that we owners of HMV's in WI did not have before. It is not perfect.

We took the best first step deal with the limitaions to get our foot in the door. We are not done but had to get a law in place. The chairman of the Senate transportaion committee allowed our HMV bill to move thru the WI legislature and allows us to register our HMV's. The DOT can't show that HMV are a safety hazard but we can't document they are safe either. After two years we are invited back to the legislature and will be able to show a demonstrated safety record in WI with the HMV registered vehicles. So DRIVE SAFELY!. At that time we will lobby for an amendment to the law to allow less restrictions and include personel use. That was the deal we cut with the legislature. One step at a time.

Don't sell you truck yet. Title it, drive it and enjoy it. Just don't park it in the same parking space everyday.

We are continuing to work on your behalf!!!

I'll make a point to get to "McCoys" on the main post on "chicken day". Thanks for the tip.

Cat Man

AKA Jeff Rowsam for the MVPA legislative committee and WI HMV owners

mikelee

Maintenance has so many meanings ..LOL..going for an oil change, tire rotation, carwash. I would hope nobody would pull you over...and if they did it won't be for speeding. Keep the truck

EagleWrench

Cool thanks Mike been looking for a QUICK tach mount for a western for a while. Found lots of plows but for the mount and wiring harness it was another $1K. So still looking. Catman thanks for the info if we (MV Owners ) had nothing before this law is better than not be able toown or operate. truck is not for sale any more. Keep me informed/ inthe loop on when and where to send the emails to move the law in the right direction. WI is lucky actuallt the US is Lucky. If any one spent any time in Germany they know first hand that over half on the CArs and trucks on the road today would never be on th road because the Germans inspect the whole vehilce not just emissions. Thanks CATMAN. Lunch is on me.

EW