• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

foaming power steering fluid and hard to steer

tgejesse

I have this exact problem as of Friday as well. My power steering fluid is spitting out of the breather nozzle on the filler cap.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do it that way, works better on my truck compared to the TM procedure.
I also jack up the front end, but do not wait as long in between full lock. Just enough time to look in the res to confirm it's not sucking air.
My 52 M37 was equipped by the PO with a V8 and power steering. Once the truck began running, I tried to move it and the power steering pump screamed like a turbocharger full of marbles. I figured air in the system. While trying to purge the reservoir I snapped the drag link. Got it welded up and reinstalled. Before starting it up again, I drained the disgusting stuff that might have been power steering fluid 50 years ago. Filled it and drained it again. Serviced it to the fluid level indicated on the dip stick. Started it back up and very cautiously turned the wheel slowly back and forth. In a very short time the noise was 99% gone. Still made a tiny bit of noise but too little to get worried about. I’ll do additional drain and fill if it becomes necessary further on.

sue

My 52 M37 was equipped by the PO with a V8 and power steering. Once the truck began running, I tried to move it and the power steering pump screamed like a turbocharger full of marbles. I figured air in the system. While trying to purge the reservoir I snapped the drag link. Got it welded up and reinstalled. Before starting it up again, I drained the disgusting stuff that might have been power steering fluid 50 years ago. Filled it and drained it again. Serviced it to the fluid level indicated on the dip stick. Started it back up and very cautiously turned the wheel slowly back and forth. In a very short time the noise was 99% gone. Still made a tiny bit of noise but too little to get worried about. I’ll do additional drain and fill if it becomes necessary further on.
I really hope that your NOT trying to put power steering fluid in it. Hydraulic or a cheap atf fluid is what you should use. Mixing power steering fluid and the hydraulic fluid that is all ready in there wil
make the steering sticky and shaky. Then in a short
time your seals on your fan clutch and steering will
leak like a sieve.

Overboard

you most likely have a bad o-ring that’s gradually letting air in…take your pick on what component. I would change out the easy to reach o-rings on the high pressure hoses.
The quick disconnect on the fan clutch was leaking replaced the o-ring bleed the system will find out if it comes back but good so far thanks again

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really hope that your NOT trying to put power steering fluid in it. Hydraulic or a cheap atf fluid is what you should use. Mixing power steering fluid and the hydraulic fluid that is all ready in there wil
make the steering sticky and shaky. Then in a short
time your seals on your fan clutch and steering will
leak like a sieve.
I don’t have a fan clutch. I read to specs on the engine, which is a commercial engine, and it called for power steering fluid. The engine is a basic 318 “big block”. Not sure what it came out of.

azulrios

To purge air from p/s system start truck, turn wheels to full lock right or left, turn truck off while steering wheel is at full lock. Let truck sit for 15 min. while off. Start truck, turn steering wheel the opposite direction, turn truck off, let sit 15 min. while truck is sitting you can remove p/s cap and see air bubbles purging to top. If you fill p/s system and don't purge air, all you do is aerate the system--it has to be done with truck off. It probably sounds like a old ford Taurus lol

Out of curiosity, was the front end [ tires ] off the ground when performing the bleed?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two common sources of PS noise, one is air which will dissipate on it own over time and the other is the cadillac valve that controls the fan, if that is causing the noise it should change when the fan kicks in, you can check that by unplugging the wires to that valve which will turn the fan on.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question on the M1123. PS is noisy... Is this inherent with the 1123 or do I need to redo the air bleeding process again. Thanks.
That depends on what you perceive as noisy, the remote mounted reservoir version of PS pump is inherently more noisy than the early style PS RCSK18330 pump, so which do you have?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is air entrained in the PS fluid it will continue to flow around in the system, you can "bleed" the system all you want it will make noise until it works the air out itself.
What I do if it has fluid, if it steers and brakes OK and it is not running out on the ground I just drive it and ignore the "sound" eventually it ether goes away or maybe I just get used to it, all hydraulic systems make noise, some more than others.
If everything I have on the ranch that has a hydraulic system was expected to not make nose I would have nothing to work with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks