• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Font and size of lettering

Sintorion

Does anyone know the font and the size of the lettering like "NOSTEP" or "TIE DOWN" decals? I am planning on getting some made and want them to be as correct as possible.

chickenbutt

Does anyone know the font and the size of the lettering like "NOSTEP" or "TIE DOWN" decals? I am planning on getting some made and want them to be as correct as possible.
SLING, NO STEP, SLING AND TIE DOWN, TIE DOWN are a slightly less than 1" high letters, but I went with 1". I used the same for SLING GUIDE ---> and it came out a little big, so I ended up not using that stencil. My unit numbers were 1 5/8" high
I used glossy black for TIE DOWN on the front bumper where it is black on black.
Kascar does sell most of these in vinyl, I opted for stencils to keep my truck as it originally came.

Here is my original SLING
SLING.jpg

Here are some of my new ones, and my woodland camo touch up on the doors that I'm not real proud of :cry: --It will be all better when I find the perfect X doors!
IMG_4261.jpgIMG_4260.jpgIMG_4262.jpg

KsM715

We used what ever stencils we had on hand with very little regard size accuracy. If you want to be as accurate as possible the way it was done in the motor pool then just go to staples and get at least 3 different size stencils approximately 1" but not exactly 1" and mix them all together.

Sintorion

I thought about stencils, but mine had vinyl. Found some at easternsurplus, but they want $15.00 just for one 'Tie - Down' decal!!!

Wire Fox

I thought about stencils, but mine had vinyl. Found some at easternsurplus, but they want $15.00 just for one 'Tie - Down' decal!!!
I second that. Everything on my HMMWV is Vinyl, including the Army Star that they sprayed over with what looks like Krylon plastic green. The vinyl looks really sharp because it's very consistent and clean. It looks like it's just starting to peel off in some places, so I'll have to get some new numbers cut, too.

Last edited:

Lawdog734

My wife has a Cricut stencil cutter and I've found that the "Street Sign" Cricut cartridge produces very convincing vinyl letters/numbers for my truck. I've had mine in place for about 6 months now and they're still sticking quite nicely.

I really couldn't give a hoot about what she does with the thing otherwise, but that I found a seemingly minute use for it makes it a winner in my book.

Sintorion

I have sorted through several hundred fonts and can't find an exact match. The closest I have come is Arial narrow with a font size of 90. It is a little narrower and the 'G' is a little off, but still pretty close. I can get these made at my local printer for around $5 each. Much cheaper than Easter is selling them for.

Now looking at font has also got me looking at going with stencil letters. Really liking the "Army stencil WWI" font and one called "Cleanwork". I like stencils, but like the crips edge of vinyl.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife has a Cricut stencil cutter and I've found that the "Street Sign" Cricut cartridge produces very convincing vinyl letters/numbers for my truck. I've had mine in place for about 6 months now and they're still sticking quite nicely.

I really couldn't give a hoot about what she does with the thing otherwise, but that I found a seemingly minute use for it makes it a winner in my book.
Until this moment I had no idea something like this existed. Will the Cricut device cut a negative from paper that I can use with spray-paint to leave a positive image on the HMMWV? I prefer paint over vinyl lettering, (personal preference - no offense intended).

Best,

T

chickenbutt

I have sorted through several hundred fonts and can't find an exact match. The closest I have come is Arial narrow with a font size of 90. It is a little narrower and the 'G' is a little off, but still pretty close. I can get these made at my local printer for around $5 each. Much cheaper than Easter is selling them for.

Now looking at font has also got me looking at going with stencil letters. Really liking the "Army stencil WWI" font and one called "Cleanwork". I like stencils, but like the crips edge of vinyl.
I used a font called "Phantom Stencil". That was the closest I could find

chickenbutt

Yours was painted black on black? :shock:

Paint manual for 383 calls for black lettering on green/brown areas, green on black areas.

Cheers
Rory, your are correct if you go by the book!. But keeping in the true spirt of keeping the truck original (or like others I've seen) I bent the rules and did some same color on color.:-D

Spyderman

I would have a buddy that owns a sign shop to cut it out in vinyl. Take the letters out and use it as a stencil and spray it. I ended up buying by own cutter because I am opening another gun shop and need a bunch of vinyl lettering and it was going to be hundreds of dollars. It was cheaper to get my own machine and do it myself.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rory, your are correct if you go by the book!. But keeping in the true spirit of keeping the truck original (or like others I've seen) I bent the rules and did some same color on color.:-D
I absolutely applaud that!
The rules are bent regularly. I have seen one truck where the painter apparently didn't want to bother with a can of green paint, so they just left a huge gap of black between the parts of the serial # they were painting with black paint.

A buddy of mine got a truck with "CHECK BATTERIES DAYLEY" on it, so after the repaint, he duly restenciled DAYLEY on there again.

Cheers

mil alta

I've got a cutter myself and been making stencils. Just a footnote: If making a stencil with a cutter using normal vinyl and just reversing the vinyl removal (reversing it) you will probably encounter a problem removing the stencil once applied as it will take the vehicle paint with it (especially on new paint). If you can use temporary vinyl not as bad.
Best way is to use stencil vinyl which has three layers in applying. Not much more in price for a roll. Uses same machine and settings (use fresh blade) but is easier on the vehicle paint taking off the mask. Just passing along my experience...

papakb

If you have a Michaels, Hobby Lobby or a JoAnn Fabrics near you they have stencil machines at fairly readonable prices that you can go look at to evaluate. I would think that most larger craft related places would also have them. If you find one you like you can find it on Amazon for quick delivery but you'll pay a little extra for the convenience. Once you have an idea of what your looking for there's always the "E" place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks