• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fonts and art work

FreightTrain

Banned
does anyone know where I can get correct fonts and art work for a vinyl plotter so I can cut out letters,numbers,Stars,and other goodies for the deuce(or use the waste as a stencil instead)The main thing I am looking for is a correctly proportioned star so I can cut out a door,hood and bumper stars.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
An old MVPA Army Motors issue had an article with diagrams, I'll see if I can find it tonight. Remind me.

tklm539

WOW Bjorn,

I looked at that link for 2 minutes and got real bad flashbacks to high school math. Now that I have stopped shaking, I think I am going to order my stars rather that attempt the project myself. I must go lie down. :lol:

Tom

Opie

Polverone sent me a Gothic font that was mostly correct for the '64-'76 period. (The "M" is off a little bit, I think.) I'll try to get info on it later today.

Jones

Any of the better drawing programs can generate stars with any number of points and of any size in files that plotters and similar systems can understand. I use CorelDRAW 8.0 for example and it's .cdr files seem to be universally accepted... at least in my universe.

Bjorn - I loved Trig in high school!!!
If you save then import as an .eps file that is the universally accepted extension that will work in any vector format for cutting. That seems to hold true for drawings generated in Illustrator CS2 and then opening in an older Corel, Flexisign, Casmate, Anagraph, Signlab, Gerber, Winplot, and or Omega programs.
A .jpeg is visible in anything but you cannot manipulate it as you can a vector file - nor output it to the cutter/plotter.

With that said, if you want a star let me know the distance between the two points on top, I'll construct one in my sign program and send as an .eps attachment to you. Or the diameter will work as well.

Or I can plot it on paper and send you the drawing.

Or for a few bucks I can cut you a paint mask and send that on it's way.

Or you can call me Ray, or you can call me................. :roll:

DomUnique

I have have a vinyl cutter, can someone post a pic of what it should look like and maybe the correct size. I may be able to trace it off a good straight on camera shot.

rdixiemiller

Gerber machines had a "Stencil" font that was almost identical to the old military stencil cutter stuff. It would even space them like a stencil cutter did. Most any sign software has that font built in.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,the software that came with the race teams cutter sucks.Sign Pro.It imports the fonts already on the computer.No pictures of any sorts included in the package(software was purchased extra).I will say the dang plotter is louder than my freaking deuce!!!!BRRRRAAAAAAAA roooooooow RAAAAA REEEEE RAAAA REEEEEE BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opie said:
Polverone sent me a Gothic font that was mostly correct for the '64-'76 period. (The "M" is off a little bit, I think.) I'll try to get info on it later today.
funny thing about gothic fonts.. I see very little about most of them that is recognizable as gothic.. stealth goths..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Polverone said:
With that said, if you want a star let me know the distance between the two points on top, I'll construct one in my sign program and send as an .eps attachment to you. Or the diameter will work as well.

Or I can plot it on paper and send you the drawing.

Or for a few bucks I can cut you a paint mask and send that on it's way.

Or you can call me Ray, or you can call me................. :roll:
Thanks Gary, I'll get a number 11 blade out and cut my own, if that doesn't work I'll call you. :)

cranetruck said:
Thanks Gary, I'll get a number 11 blade out and cut my own, if that doesn't work I'll call you. :)
If you can't find that #11 Bjorn, I have a well educated one here. :lol:

If anyone has ever been in an "old timer's" (ahem - who me?) sign shop it has a distinct musty turpentine and woodsy smell, sort of akin to a old cabinet shop. Love that aroma.