• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For sale locally, should I buy? For sale Gichner 8/5 wire and spool.

Jayhawk#44

Would this be advisable to use with my MEP-803a? I've read a lot here and 8/5 seems a bit small to run at full load for the house. Ideally I'll run buried line of appropriate gauge cable from the Genset to the box, but until then is this cable workable?
00z0z_6T7kmL3hiWNz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Looks to be from an 803a on a trailer.

For sale Gichner wire and spool.
8/5 Sunlight and Uv resistant wire.
Approx. 85’to 95’ length of wire.
Comes with 2each Cannon connectors.
Stainless nylock nuts and bolts included.

Let me know what you think, and what is a fair price?

Thanks,

Matt

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the 60 amp cable. If you have something (a PD box for example) compatible with the fitting on the cable, you probably want it.

If you don't need the fitting, you could probably get heavier gauge commercial cable for less than the reasonable value on this one.

Commercial 6/5 copper cable is ~$7/ft.

Reasonable value on the pictured cable is $500-$1000.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on the age. I was looking at some MIL surplus wire about a year ago and the insulation was showing its age. It was becoming brittle and easy to damage. I ended up not buying it because I didn't want to have to deal with an internal short in a cable that was breaking down.

My advice is to inspect it in person and make sure its still soft and pliable.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not an electrician but I know a few. ;-)

I would not go for less than 4 gauge wire for that rating and distance based on charts. Probably bigger but then you have to consider if the terminals will fit. If I wanted to run it at full load a long time then I would go even bigger.

But that's me and my opinion.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not an electrician but I know a few. ;-)

I would not go for less than 4 gauge wire for that rating and distance based on charts. Probably bigger but then you have to consider if the terminals will fit. If I wanted to run it at full load a long time then I would go even bigger.

But that's me and my opinion.
Wholeheartedly agree. When it comes to cable, thicker is better.

Thing is, the military cable pictured is bad-ass. The insulation is thick and mean. The cover is armored. And they spec 8/5 for the 60 amp version. The 803 genset puts out something like 50amps at maximum output at 240v. The pictured cable shouldn't be your limiting factor.

I own one of the pictured cables. I use it on a 60amp PD box running off a 20kW genset and use it for primary power for my AZ property. Both my PD box and my genset have 5pin connectors compatible with the ends.

BUT, if I'm setting up an MEP803 to run a house, this is not the cable I'd select. On the 803 end, you're connecting directly to the lugs anyway, so the special 5pin connector does no good there. And on the house end you can use a standard NEMA plug, or wire directly into the panel, so you dont need the special connector there. In this scenario, I'm using the thickest commercially available cable I can force into the house panel or my budget, whichever becomes the limiting factor. #6AWG is probably more than good enough. #4, so much the better.

Jayhawk#44

Thanks guys! He's asking $400, from the pics the gen unit and trailer look brand new and it's garage kept.

I'll take a look, probably low-ball him if it looks good.

I'm guessing it's ideally setup for use as 3-phase. Is it a problem, and, does that output on the 803a put out 240 single phase for household use? And could I take the cannon plug off and use it as a pigtail into a commercial hookup?

Thanks guys!

Matt

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! He's asking $400, from the pics the gen unit and trailer look brand new and it's garage kept.

I'll take a look, probably low-ball him if it looks good.

I'm guessing it's ideally setup for use as 3-phase. Is it a problem, and, does that output on the 803a put out 240 single phase for household use? And could I take the cannon plug off and use it as a pigtail into a commercial hookup?

Thanks guys!

Matt
It'll work fine for single phase. It wouldn't be my first choice.

If you're going to chop it up, please cut a couple feet distal to the plugs and sell me those portions. That way I can splice to it and use it to make another cable. Removal of just the plug is problematic and will result in the destruction of the contactor pins in the plug, rendering it useless and valueless.

Jayhawk#44

98G, thanks for the input. I see from your profile you're a Midwest guy as well. We're KCMO folks, went to Baker U in Baldwin City, KS, AZ for 20 now. 2018-2019 did a year in Leavenworth, don't judge...

Work sent me CGSC with the Army, not the fed lockup, or DB you were thinking ofrofl

If you're really a KS guy you can figure out who my oldest son is from my user name.

I'm in Gilbert, AZ now, the cable oddly enough is also in Gilbert if you're looking for another.

And yes, the ultimate goal is running over sized wiring in a buried permanent setup. I'll grab it if it's useful and a good deal. Certainly not married to it.

Thanks for all of the info!!!

Matt

Jayhawk#44

It'll work fine for single phase. It wouldn't be my first choice.

If you're going to chop it up, please cut a couple feet distal to the plugs and sell me those portions. That way I can splice to it and use it to make another cable. Removal of just the plug is problematic and will result in the destruction of the contactor pins in the plug, rendering it useless and valueless.
LOL, You answer faster than I reply!!!

I'll let you know what I figure out. If I can make it a nice clean install as a temporary solution I'd like to do that. I also plan to get an 802a for night time use. Might come in handy with that as well. That and I'm always looking for a bargain.

Later

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks