• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford CUCV

AJMBLAZER

The military rated all of the trucks by the actual weight they could carry. This is how the Dodge 3/4 ton truck was rated as a 1.25 ton. Same with the Chevy 1 ton being rated the same and the Chevy 1/2 ton K5 being rated as a 5/8 ton or whatever it was called. The 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton ratings are just marketing anyway, none of those trucks have been that low rated for decades.

M880 = D250 with a Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear axle. 3/4 ton.

cucv1833

Somebody made it then. There never was a military Bronco.

GM got the contract due to being the only maker at the time that used a diesel in their light trucks and SUV's (very early 80's) and parts commonality with the HMMWV's driveline.

Ok thats fine i understand. but this was a Bronco in a Army training ground with what looks to be regulation woodland paint job. I understand anyone can paint a truck. I just thought it was cool and wondering if anyone else has seen this i did not notice the B/O lights or brushgaurd and i now this statement is worthless with out pics. Oh Well

48cj2a

Yes, Ford entered into the CUCV contest in 1981-2 before Chevy was awarded the contract. They only produced one example of their version, it did well in the trials but GM's entry had the upper hand. The one example made was sold surplus in the early 1980s to Ted Nugent.

Just saw this post and thought wait a minute...I thought Stroppe Motor Sports built this truck for the Motor City Mad Man...

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Ted's trucks have been made by private individuals. The Ford CUCV rumor is false.

I used to know the guy who built his current 90's Bronco.

48cj2a

Ted's trucks have been made by private individuals. The Ford CUCV rumor is false.

I used to know the guy who built his current 90's Bronco.
If you are talking about his Zebra Striped Bronco...It too was built by Stroppe...

A Quote right from Ted...

"Meanwhile, my famous Bill Stroppe 1980-1990 Zebra Bronco is in the Bronco loving hands of Stacey David and crew for a complete frame off reincarnation."

Published Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:19 PM by DotCom-Team

AJMBLAZER

Yep. Guy who used to own an offroad shop in Grand Rapids, MI once worked for Stroppe and met Ted that way. When Ted took the Bronco to Michigan later and he was no longer with them he did maintenance and work on it. Had a bunch of pictures of himself and Ted hunting and with various dead animals.

Elwenil

Just to clarify, this is technically incorrect as no D250 has a front axle. A M880, as well as any 4WD Dodge from '72-'93 is a W series and in '76-'77 would be a W200. But yeah, it's just a basic 3/4 ton 4WD, not even the heavy duty model. Civilian W200/W250 models with the D60 front axle are a heavier truck than the M800 spec.

45FMJoe

The military rated all of the trucks by the actual weight they could carry. This is how the Dodge 3/4 ton truck was rated as a 1.25 ton. Same with the Chevy 1 ton being rated the same and the Chevy 1/2 ton K5 being rated as a 5/8 ton or whatever it was called. The 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton ratings are just marketing anyway, none of those trucks have been that low rated for decades.

My '93 RamCharger had a Dana 44 front and 60 rear. I'm convinced the Dana 44 front axle saved my life when I was a dumb teenager, and I love Dana axles because of it. Well, because they're incredinbly well built, strong axles I like them so much. I'm looking for a front Dana 44 for my CUCV. I guess I'll have to go with a Corporate 12 bolt in the rear, though.

allrevup

Yes, Ford entered into the CUCV contest in 1981-2 before Chevy was awarded the contract. They only produced one example of their version, it did well in the trials but GM's entry had the upper hand. The one example made was sold surplus in the early 1980s to Ted Nugent.
I think this is the same Bronco, as is has a similar front custom bumper that Stacy Kieth(?) in the Speedvision channel show "Gears", has rebuilt for Ted Nugget twice in the past couple of years, besides extensive body work the suspension and axles were completely redone to premium after market. What a good friend, She is a beast!

AJMBLAZER

Waste of time unless you do a 8 lug 3/4 ton axle swap or find a Dana 44 with better gears than your current 10 bolt front.

The Dana 44 and the GM 28 spline 10 bolt are about the same in strength. Where one has weakness the other has strengths in other places. D44 has 30 spline axles but neck downs in the axle shafts. 10 bolt has 28 spline axles but no neck down.
In fact from the knuckles out they use the same parts in the front.

Don't bother unless you go with deeper gears or stronger rear axles. The 12 bolt isn't worth swapping in unless again, you can get one with better gears and diff setup. The 6 lug 14 bolt semi floater is a good rear swap but you'd have to regear or replace the front axle as the 14SF doesn't have 3.08 gears (woo, what a loss).

My '93 RamCharger had a Dana 44 front and 60 rear. I'm convinced the Dana 44 front axle saved my life when I was a dumb teenager, and I love Dana axles because of it. Well, because they're incredinbly well built, strong axles I like them so much. I'm looking for a front Dana 44 for my CUCV. I guess I'll have to go with a Corporate 12 bolt in the rear, though.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are talking about his Zebra Striped Bronco...It too was built by Stroppe...

A Quote right from Ted...

"Meanwhile, my famous Bill Stroppe 1980-1990 Zebra Bronco is in the Bronco loving hands of Stacey David and crew for a complete frame off reincarnation."

Published Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:19 PM by DotCom-Team
that's a very true and some what ugly story...

The Phoenix: Ted Nugent Bronco

Season: 5 | Episode: 3

There is a saying that for every good side of something , there's also a dark side. Today on GEARZ, Stacey goes there as he reveals what to do when bad things happen to good projects. Using Ted Nugent's old broken down and discarded Bronco as an example, he shows how to start over and re-kindle the passion in a project that has been given up on by everybody else. If your project has been stolen or stripped, or has become stranded by hard times, sometimes all it needs is a little change of direction to get it to rise out of the ashes and soar again. If Stacey can get Ted's old Bronco to rise like a Phoenix out of the ashes and fly again, you can do the same thing with your project too! You just have to roll up your sleeves and get to it!

http://staceydavid.com/episodes/phoenix-ted-nugent-bronco

View attachment 302328

View attachment 302329

in the background of this picture of the motorcycle you will see Uncle Ted's Bronco, painted green with a snake skin graphic at the beltline - this was prior to his having the bushmaster snake head air brushed onto the drivers doors...

I hear it's going to be zebra striped again

allrevup

The old adage about IFS = POS, Was put to rest a long time ago...

The IFS found in road going vehicles is usually more comfortable but not necessarily the best examples of their potential for more demanding OFF-ROADING, while it is the best way for others. Conversely the same can be said about SOLID AXLES, some set ups can be quite complex as well. Generally IFS has more parts and generally they are more expensive to modify.

CORE, DAKAR, Tough Truck Challenges, WRX, formula 4x4, countless military and commercial application were money is not an issue still relays on both... depending on terrain, some Dependant on individual drivers preferance and style