• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford Gold Anti Freeze

shannondeese

I have a bunch of new in the bottle Ford Orange Anti Freeze designed for the 6.0 Powerstroke diesel. I need to flush the coolant out of the Deuce and install the new heater. Do y'all think the Gold anti freeze is a good match for the Deuce system or should I just go buy the normal green anti freeze?

shannondeese

I'm going to drain the whole system and change all the coolant hoses at the same time that I add the heater. So compatibility shouldn't be an issue between the antifreezes. I just am not sure if its a good enough anti freeze for the Deuce. Although it's what I run in my 6.0 stroke.

I understand that the Ford Gold is the cause of the 6.0 problems. Something like the coolant contains silica which gels and plugs the coolers. Just had my coolers replaced and it was not cheap. They put the Ford coolant in again, job security guess. I read that International ELC is the way to go for the 6.0, but the Ford Gold should be fine in a deuce.

welldigger

I understand that the Ford Gold is the cause of the 6.0 problems. Something like the coolant contains silica which gels and plugs the coolers. Just had my coolers replaced and it was not cheap. They put the Ford coolant in again, job security guess. I read that International ELC is the way to go for the 6.0, but the Ford Gold should be fine in a deuce.
I wonder if the international stuff is the same as the ford anti-freeze. International or rather Navistar made the 6.0 powerjoke afterall.

Clay James

Coolant will get trapped in the oil cooler since the inlet is at the top of it. Not sure if there's a way to drain it without taking the cover off.

Emmett

As I understand it, silica acts as a lube. The 465 should have SCA in the system to insure that the seals around the steeves remain pliable.
Insofar as the IC ( the DT466 ) coolant is concerned, they use the fleetguard red coolant and then add
SCA.
I would not use the red coolant in my 465 but the regular old green coolant with the additive. SCA also reduces cavitation.

Test strips found at your local NAPA store will let you know what you need to add to your vehicle.

jrobinson5093

I am a diesel mech at a ford dealer. I have never seen any sign that gold antifreeze is a problem for the diesels, but we do but a additive in the coolant that ford suggests. Gold should be fine in a deuce or any thing else. The only thing I dont like about it is as it gets older its turns a brown watered down tea color.

shannondeese

Thanks for the info. I have 8 gallons of the gold anti freeze. After this weekend I'll have the heater and all new coolant hoses installed so I'll run the gold, that way I don't have to buy any new stuff.