• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford solenoid used to replace stater relay

Jakob

So I posted a thread a while back about my truck not starting. I finally got some time to get around to it. I couldn't readily find a stock replacement relay, so I grabbed a Ford fender mounted solenoid and swapped it in. Once I did that, the truck fired to life! What are the ramifications of using a 12v solenoid on a 24v system?

papercu

Nothing, I put one on a truck 4 or 5 years ago and it's still there. If you have to do a lot of cranking it may go out faster. Wayne

halftrack

You know you don't even need the relay. Just about all the trucks I have come across when they were overhauled they removed the relay and just connected directly to the starterd. It makes one less part to brake later on. I usually take them off the trucks I get and throw them away.

Jakob

I haven't looked closely at the system, I just threw the Ford solenoid in there. Do the two wires from the stock relay get wired together, then the signal wire go to the starter solenoid?