• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Bragg 5 ton assistance?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a pretty m925....llow mileage..complete winch...at JBLM that went for a hair above 5.

I originally wanted the M109A4.... but decided $6200 was a bit much...

Doug Roberts

I'm 54 miles away , and picking up a trailer ( within 8 business days). I don't reccomend a trip like that in a 5ton 6X6 coming out of surplus. I see the truck , and Felix is good with his assessments. I'd low boy this rig home.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm on the north side of Bragg Blvd. I attempted to help Wehring last week, but his recovery was flawless and I was at a job fair.

But, since ABN173, has volunteered most of it, I'll just bring a 6-pack and a camera to the recovery! haha. I do have some experience with the M9XX series, so I'll be PMing you my cell, and when you get here I'll see about making it out. if you bought through GovPlanet, your recovery yard is not the DRMO site, per wehring's experience. I think I know where.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhh! I looked at that one. And then thought "No way am I driving it that far."

Well, good luck getting back.

Doug Roberts

You're in good hands with assistance from Bikeman and ABN173. As I am picking up a trailer off this event , it'd be great to meet up . You realize this is a 2,900 mile trip in a 5ton 6X6 offroad MV ? Asphalt is not it's favorite friend , as it goes where no roads are . In the best of health , you'll be moving 50ish to 55mph . 18 wheelers will be sucking the CARC off this truck when they burn by at 80+mph. I always stay far right lane , and keep an eye on those mirrors. Adding that DOT reflective tape would protect you. Keep a fresh charge on your GPS. I recharge my Galaxy 5S with a Power Tech flashlight. 2,900 miles is ambitious in this truck.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're in good hands with assistance from Bikeman and ABN173. As I am picking up a trailer off this event , it'd be great to meet up . You realize this is a 2,900 mile trip in a 5ton 6X6 offroad MV ? Asphalt is not it's favorite friend , as it goes where no roads are . In the best of health , you'll be moving 50ish to 55mph . 18 wheelers will be sucking the CARC off this truck when they burn by at 80+mph. I always stay far right lane , and keep an eye on those mirrors. Adding that DOT reflective tape would protect you. Keep a fresh charge on your GPS. I recharge my Galaxy 5S with a Power Tech flashlight. 2,900 miles is ambitious in this truck.
Yes, indeed.. I figured 45-50, to be safe...

I already have a noise cancelling app on my phone to use with in ear headphones, and it works OK.... I will work out 12V to keep it charged.

I might do tape for the trip.... good suggestion....

Gonna get a cushion..... and lots of tylenol/ibuprofen...

I know it's gonna be a rough time... I expect it to be a 5-7 day trip back...

A trip I used to do in 3 days flat when I was younger and was driving a normal vehicle :p

Flight is confirmed. I'll be arriving FAY @ 530p on 31 Mar so 4/1 will be pickup day. Shooting for an early start.... and get PMCS done...

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm to far away to be of any help, but sounds like a fun adventure. Don't forget back up credit cards so when one shuts down you don't.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a IR thermometer with you. Stop a couple of miles down the road and check everything; transmission, transfer case, hubs, brake drums and axle center sections. Then stop 15 or 20 miles later and do it again. If nothing is getting hot, you can just check things every time you stop from there on. You should open the hood and check for leaks, and look underneath for signs of oil or coolant on the drive train at every stop also.

Keep in mind that things will malfunction e.g., brakes drag, or hoses start leaking after they have been back in service following a long storage period.

Only start the truck once a day and it runs until you stop for the evening. The starter failed on my M929 the week after I got home and I had only started it a couple of times to move it around.

When you stop for the night, don't ride around town looking for a place to eat or just for fun, you don't know how many miles this truck has left in it before something craters. Unless you can do a full service before you head out, I would just drive it as required to get home.

Good luck.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meeting plan for those that wish to attend/help.

Wed, 1 April 2015
8am breakfast (My treat)
Waffle house
4520 Yadkin Rd (next to walmart/USAA)
Fayetteville, NC 28303

I figure a mini-meet may be nice, before all the work begins. So for those that wish to help...

I will be buying breakfast, at the Waffle House just off post.. Skibo Rd and McPherson Church Road, next to USAA and Walmart.

We will arrive around 0800 and will be leaving around 0830, so please be there if you wanted to say hi or help out.

For those helping out, breakfast is on me. It's the least I could do to say thanks.

The address is below.

4520 Yadkin Rd # 1333[FONT=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Fayetteville, NC 28303[/FONT]

From there, we will go on post, and head to the DRMO site..... which is..

Pratt Street, Lot 3
Fort Bragg, NC 28310

From there, it will be played by ear, because I'm relying on others for transportation (it's GREATLY appreciated).

From what I can gather on the truck, it has about 150 miles on a rebuild, but that was in 2007.... so while it should be mechanically solid, it will need the fluids changed. Luckily wallyworld is 'right there'..

Huge 'THANK YOU!' to everyone that is gonna show up, even if you're not helping, it's still nice to meet like minded people and shows what an awesome group of people you (we) are...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tec be prepared for anything. We went and recovered a truck in Ohio that was a recent rebuild. I swear this motor was just installed from factory not strach on it I could and would have eat off it.

First breakdown 30 miles from pickup alternator broke pully.
Second breakdown just inside Kentucky ruptured what I would call a main air line.
Third breakdown blown head gasket on air compressor.
This one got us it's a pain to repair this and even worst to try to do cold and wet .
It went on the tow bar.

You are brave. That said, if when you are coming through Winston-Salem you need anything, feel free to hit me up. I also have quite a bit of stuff that would work on that truck too if you need any parts (air driers, tires/wheels, gauges, etc etc)

wsucougarx

Praying for a safe journey for you. Take it slow and don't get in a hurry. Get to know your truck during the first leg of your journey. Just like any truck, she'll have her own set of noises, vibrations, minor clanks and whatnots. You'll get to know her habits up grades and down grades. Just take it easy and watch your air gauges down grades etc. Your first few hundred miles will be a little nerve-racking as you become familiar with everything. Then just enjoy the trip.

Doug Roberts

I'll be coming in early afternoon , as it looks now. Felix didn't find my RELEASE , which you must have. I asked him about this pickup and he didn't know anything about it. They are turning people away that don't have an appointment set and a Item Release form. I will be calling him in the morning on mine.

I would strongly advise to route Winston Salem NC , CBR Metalworks. It would get you to a safe stone , and you can get what you need to proceed with your quest.

Godspeed

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be coming in early afternoon , as it looks now. Felix didn't find my RELEASE , which you must have. I asked him about this pickup and he didn't know anything about it. They are turning people away that don't have an appointment set and a Item Release form. I will be calling him in the morning on mine.

I would strongly advise to route Winston Salem NC , CBR Metalworks. It would get you to a safe stone , and you can get what you need to proceed with your quest.

Godspeed
Release form is printed online after you pay.

I set this up last week. ...I dunno how they wouldn't know....

Also, I was instructed that 1230 is the latest you can pick up....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks