• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Hood HMMWV Recovery

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes of course. Pretty sure the thing will fit on my car hauler side to side. Probably have to strap up the ramps on the back as I think the HMMWV is a bit long.

Govplanet gave me directions to a Visitors Center and then to a field past that. That's all I know to do so far...
Plan on extra time to get through the Visitors Center. If you're early to your appt it's not that big a deal but if you get tied up checking in it might cause issues. (and that was a joke about the trailer. Hopefully no one would ask about driving one off post)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Don't bring any guns even if you have permits otherwise you can add at least another hour to get on post.

KansasBobcat

Go into visitor center, take a number, pick up free book with map of Ft. Hood, have ID, car registration and insurance ready. Put pass on dash and STOP at check point. I usually salute the guard when cleared. Make left on Tank Destroyer road. Do not speed. Good luck

Go into visitor center, take a number, pick up free book with map of Ft. Hood, have ID, car registration and insurance ready. Put pass on dash and STOP at check point. I usually salute the guard when cleared. Make left on Tank Destroyer road. Do not speed. Good luck
What exactly des it mean to have "registration" for my haul truck?

Isnt that the sticker on the windshield? Or do I need to bring something else??

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And do not talk on your cell phone while driving on base. Federal posts frown on that. Park if you need to talk.

They want to see the paper. Get a duplicate if needed. I was almost turned away for not having one in my vehicle. I had the title but no registration. Have to call my local tag agent and have them fax a copy. Took about an extra hour. :-(

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh crap. Yeah Ive never kept that piece of paper on any vehicle in my life.

SO they wont just look at the registration on the windshield and say you're GTG for "registration"...???
No way. Freakin' Red River guardshack made me drive to the Bowie county courthouse to get a copy once.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visitor's Center is code for Military DMV.

Set your expectation there and you'll be fine.

I have no idea how Ft. Hood works, but at JBLM if you've got a trailer or large vehicle (M923, etc) you proceed directly to the Logistics Gate and use the commercial entrance as there's no way to park anything but a car at the Visitor's Center. For those with experience, Ft. Hood different?

KansasBobcat

Oh crap. Yeah Ive never kept that piece of paper on any vehicle in my life.

SO they wont just look at the registration on the windshield and say you're GTG for "registration"...???
I have always given them all I mentioned. Do not know if the MPs will go out and look at sticker. Visitor center number is 254-288-2865. Call them and ask. Also if pulling a trailer you may have to use the Clarke Road entrance. Again, ask them. The rules can change.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to go on Ft Hood first thing in the morning with a OTR truck and trailer, took an extra hour to get on post for all the contractor coming on post at the same time. Once on post it was like 5 o'clock traffic at 8 am. So glad I lived in the barracks when I was there 20 years ago, but it was open post then and it was still a rat race getting around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks