• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found: 1950s Navy Ordnance Truck in Oregon

chesnimnus

I found a guy near Klamath Falls that has a GMC single-axle truck for sale. It is very unusual in that it has a factory Detroit Diesel engine, which was specified for use as an ordnance truck according to the prior owner. That owner died, and his estate sold it to a scrap guy. The guy that has it would rather see it saved than scrap it.

He wanted $1300 for it with the bed, but the bed was a pair of M-5H-6 beds welded together, and since I am buying an M-5H-6 from him, I told him I wanted the bed too. Not sure what he would want for it now. Judging from the looks of it and the memory of the fellow that has it now, it should run and drive with some new batteries, fresh fuel, and about half a day of effort.

If anyone is interested in a truck like this, contact me, and I will give you the present owner's name and phone number. I have no interest in this truck, but would like to see it saved rather than sent to build a dam in China.

Attachments

Last edited:

chesnimnus

My guess is a 3 or 4, series 53 engine? No turbo, juice brakes, vacuum assisted.
You would be the second person to guess that. That is the only reason I didn't say it was built in 1947 to 1949, as the other person that mentioned the 53-series engine said it was an option in the early 1950s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks