• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found 24 volt Mitsubishi alternators

Gunfreak25

I found these Mitsubishi 24v alternator on Ebay several weeks ago. Finally got around to ordering one up. Ebay links are not allowed on the forum, but if you ebay search "Mitsubishi 24 volt alternator" they will show up. The seller is a company called Laborde Products in Louisiana. I spoke with a gentleman named Chris there who answered any questions I had about these units.

They are brand new, only test run. They take them off in favor of 12v units since nobody in the US has a real interest in the 24v systems. Apparently he has about 50 of them in stock right now and gets more in every month.

They are internally regulated and rated for 35 amps. They weigh about 21lbs and are built extremely heavy duty and are 100% made by Mitsubishi, these are not re-manufactured Chinese junkers.

Thanks to our awesome moderator gringeltaube and the aid of a Mistubishi schematic I can post instructions on how to wire these units up. Here is the PM gringeltaube sent to me:

"I checked that schematic: a bit confusing because of all the safety relais (specific for the genset) but yes, basically everything goes like I had said before:
  • "E" = Ground;
  • "B" on the alt. goes to "B" or "BAT" on the starter relais.
  • Connect "R" to the "ACC" terminal on the ign.sw. (or output of power-on-off switch).
BTW: the alternator may run with "R" disconnected but will not charge. On the other hand it should never be run with "R" connected and "B" terminal loose or even dis-connected...! (like changing out batteries with motor running....) that will instantly damage the alternator... but I think you know that!

• "L" normally goes to a small indicator lamp, AKA ignition warning light and from there to any (+)source or BAT terminal.
With ignition on and engine not running that terminal "L" will act as if it was "ground" so a lamp in between that and (+) will glow. As soon as the alternator starts charging the voltage of "L" rises to system voltage and the warning light extinguishes". End Quote

I think these would make great replacements when some of our aging Deuce generators eventually bite the dust. It's not totally trouble free, you will have to fab up a simple bracket to hook it up to the Multifuel and the pulley's on these alternators are for size C belts which I do not know if the Multifuel uses or not.
It looks to be a 3/4 standard shaft so your local alternator shop should be able to find a multitude of bolt on replacement pulleys sized for your engine.

I am picking up a spare later. Can't complain for $56 shipped! I am not affiliated with Laborde in any way. Just wanted to share this awesome find with you guys, many of whom have given me quite a lot over the past few years.

This alternator is going on the 6.2 HMMWV M211 project along with a Delco 10si for dual separate charging systems.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking out GF25, Looks like the new one was made with quality in mind. Whats the DC amp output..? Edit, just saw the ad; 35 amp output, Thats cool..!:mrgreen:

Gunfreak25

It is just a standard fixed pulley, it is 2 groove and sized for C belts which are 7/8" wide!! The nut on the shaft comes off with a 1 1/16 socket and is torqued to over 80 ft lbs. Pulley just slid off of mine, no real press fit to speak of which made for easy removal.

When I get an exact sheave size I will post it up. It measures out to something like .788 but don't quote me on that. So just over 3/4". I figure if I need to the local shop can bore out a pulley to fit on the cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks