• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a 5-ton wrecker

scottc

Before I begin, I didn't have a camera and I have an antique cell phone. I found a wrecker yesterday in a guys bus yard. It is in pretty bad shape. The guy claims he was using it 3-4 years ago. Asking 2500 for it and said that the price is FIRM. Said he would rather it sit and wrought than sell for less. I do not know what these are worth, but this one would need a hell of a lot of tlc. My opinion is it is worth parts. The best part is that it is hidden and I have probably driven past it 3-500 times. Probably could have saved it before it got into this condition.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is it a gasser, or diesel? Gasser isn't worth as much, unless it's a 2 1/2ton truck.

Could be a M816 on the other hand, which would be well worth the money. Grab the camera and post pics, someone here can tell you what it is.

Dennis

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the air cleaner assembly on the passenger's side or driver's side. If it is the former, it is either a multifuel or a Mack...if it is the latter, it is an M816.

scottc

I should have paid more attention, I just assumed it was diesel. The exhaust stack came in the rear of the cab. Passengers side. Guys this thing is in bad shape.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 62 is a gasser and the exhaust is aft of the cab, and I've seen several older M-62's here in Ohio that were in bad shape, one in Clyde, Ohio that moved to New England, another in Clyde that went somewhere on e-bay, and another down in Amish country that they kinked the boom bad on while lifting a school bus out of a marsh. (what the bus was doing there, they didn't say) all were gassers, earlier units. They are a tough truck and it takes alot to tear them up and rust them out, EVEN IN FLORIDA. So i'd be willing to bet its an old gasser , no matter what it is. And while I don't like tearing old military trucks up, I'm looking for the from PTO shaft, winch linkage, travel legs, and level winds front and back for my old gasser rig. Its old, gets lousy milage, but it's neat, it's mine and its fun when its working right. And keeps me occupied when it isn't. (tries to keep me broke too)

Last edited:

5_TON_TOMATOE

Gasser

Yeah, My old gasser kinda has its own personality, and a sound all its own. If I wanted more roadability, I would put a diesel, big truck running gear in it, but like to keep it nostalgic. Besides, when I got it, I was told straight up " This truck will not run" It took two trys, but I drove it out of there and with alot of work, it now runs awesome. I just keep looking for 816 I can afford.

Last edited:

m.walker

The 602 isn't a bad motor , mine run great . The diesels are more attractive I believe because they have a longer life span , and can run on other fuels . The one offset though is more expensive fuel and much more expensive to repair . I always thought I'd replace mine with diesels after they tear up but they continue to start easy and run anytime I need them to . Even when parked for months I can switch on the batteries and with a little choke they start right up , no starting fluid at all . I do like the sound of the diesel much better though ! Most books put the value of the diesel MV's at $1,000 more than the gassers . The one advantage I like is I know nothing about diesels , I can work on mine because I understand gas motors .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks