• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a mule Sunday, price and parts availability?

Sardo67

Large building clean out and under a lot of crap I found a mule, it was tucked into a corner with more crap piled on top of it. All I can see is that it's a mule, has all 4 tires/suspension (or what ever you'd call it) and seems complete, just no motor.

Few questions
How can I tell which model this is?
if I can not find the motor in the building what does one cost?
if I find said motor but it is blown up how hard is it to find replacement parts?

i really want to get this but not if making it run will cost as much as buying one already together for 6-8g.

Are re there any good threads or places I can look at to see some rebuild threads or how to?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Large building clean out and under a lot of crap I found a mule, it was tucked into a corner with more crap piled on top of it. All I can see is that it's a mule, has all 4 tires/suspension (or what ever you'd call it) and seems complete, just no motor.
We need pictures!

How can I tell which model this is?
The mule was made in 6 varieties over a 12 year production span and many earlier models were rebuilt in military overhaul programs, similar to how M35A1s were rebuilt into M35A2s. The basic overview of mule history is:

The first Mechanical Mules, the M274 & M274A1, had a magnesium bed and axle housings with a four cylinder engine, four wheel drive and four wheel steering. The later M274A2, A3, & A4 had a magnesium beds and axle housings, four wheel drive, four wheel steering and a two cylinder engine. The last production model, the M274A5 has an aluminum bed and axle housings, with four wheel drive and two wheel steering.

if I can not find the motor in the building what does one cost?
2 cylinders are cheap-You can buy NOS 2 cylinder generators and use the engine, but only the long block is the same. Everything like pulleys, flywheels, carburetor, magnetos, etc. are all mule specific and can be expensive.

If you have a 4 cylinder model, they are much rarer and harder to come by, but I am not sure of the cost.

if I find said motor but it is blown up how hard is it to find replacement parts?
Not hard per se, but many items can be expensive. A mule is a very expensive MV-I know of many people who have more in their Mules than they do in decent M38A1 Jeeps. eBay, SS and G503 classified forums will be your friend.

i really want to get this but not if making it run will cost as much as buying one already together for 6-8g.
We'll need to see some pics and see how complete it is.

Are re there any good threads or places I can look at to see some rebuild threads or how to?
Not on SS, but the Mule forum on G503.com has some decent traffic. I hate to send people away from SS, but the Mule forum on the G has been around much longer.

This is my '68 M274A5.

2.14.mule.jpg20130915_174421.jpg20130922_175758.jpgIMG_0392.JPGIMG_0395.JPG

gunboy1656

Unfortunately as parts suppliers go not many around. Mech Mules you will need to sell off arms legs and a couple kids for some parts. there is another one buy my mind is drawing a blank on his name is supposed to be pretty good. David Kelone has not been heard from lately so who knows about him.

Here is a pic of mine. Link to mine is in my sig line.

Attachments

RAYZER

Man! That looks like a gold mine of mv stuff!
Are any of the other mv,s and related parts spoken for?
Buy it all if you can!!

Sardo67

I'll post up if anything is for sale so I don't need all the IMs asking to buy stuff.

I'm thinking $500 is the highest cash offer I should go on the mule even if the motor is there. I will be trying to offer help cleaning and doing work rather than cash though. I have no way of knowing what else it needs like brakes or bearings or what ever else for hard to find if not impossible parts.

turnkey

Guyhad 3 mules down the street from me...sold them all for scrape...1 ran...He said he was getting to old to play them...didnt know he had them until he sold them..shame.

Sardo67

Well spent almost another 5 hours there today. Man that mule is rough!! It has the A1 ID tags on the bed but it seems the rear wheels are not able to turn like an A5. After an hour of looking we found the 4cyl air cooled motor, as we rolled it around water was coming out it the crank case and valve cover breathers. So, Ummm, I'm going to assume it's compleetley junk.

The he bed has the 6" hole or what ever for the heavy gun mount and where the seat bolts to parts have been ripped off. I haven't seen a seat for it either.

Mai was going to tell the guy no more than $500 since it's such a basket case. Is an A1 with 4cyl "worth" more or less?

i did not get pics of it, I'm sorry, spent too much time bouncing around the place.

Motor pics though.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/...7-2BAF-4DBD-8A1E-46795224F4CC_zpsryd1fkd4.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/...D-DFF0-44FC-9F5C-EB839794DAAE_zpsjj7cmgta.jpg

Last edited:

m38inmaine

The 4cyl mule engine is unique to itself. The 2cyl military standard engine can be used in the mule, however you will need a 2cyl mule engine as a parts donor as a lot of the exterior parts are unique to the mule application.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks