• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found major issue…trans

DaneGer21

First thing, the synchro as you can see came out in two pieces HAHA

The next two pics show the end of the main shaft. Almost looks mushroomed out but I’m guessing it’s from wear. I first thought that’s how and where the bearing rides, purposeful, not from wear. But looking at NEW main shaft pictures they seem to be machined straight.

I also found remnants of gasket sealer, which means someone has been in here before. I’m thinking the previous guy had an issue. Dug into it, dropped some of the roller bearings then said screw it and put back what he could. Once out of 5th gear the trans seemed fine. I’m guessing I’m the guy he suckered into buying it…

Last pic is of a new main shaft that I’ve highlighted, it appears smooth and straight, where as mine doesn’t. Ugh…

Attachments

Last edited:

davidb56

So how many roller bearings did you find. there should be 14. I bet one fell out during the last assembly. you need the shaft and 14 new roller bearings and MAYBE the input shaft in front of it that holds the rollers.

Last edited:

V8srfun

That shaft is not supposed to have wear like that. I suggest that a new to you used trans is in your favor. There is no telling how much wear is on the rest of the parts and how ow long any of it will last at this point. Repairing that transmission will be like trying to catch a falling knife the risk is greater than any reward it can offer you.

DaneGer21

That shaft is not supposed to have wear like that. I suggest that a new to you used trans is in your favor. There is no telling how much wear is on the rest of the parts and how ow long any of it will last at this point. Repairing that transmission will be like trying to catch a falling knife the risk is greater than any reward it can offer you.
Well this sucks. Probably put this old girl up for sale then. If not she’ll be parked as a yard ornament.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well this sucks. Probably put this old girl up for sale then. If not she’ll be parked as a yard ornament.
If you haven't found a used one already - maybe try a phone call to White Owl in Kinston NC. Those guys are pretty sharp and willing to talk. If you explain your situation, they might have a replacement or a box of parts that might get you where you want to be.

DaneGer21

This might be a stupid question, but would I be able to shift the shifter when the top cover is removed from the transmission? Does that make sense? It feels like mine is stuck, but maybe I just can’t get enough torque on it off the trans. I was messing with it earlier and noticed i couldn’t get it to move/shift positions, like it’s stuck. How would I get the shift forks into the neutral position for reassembly?

I haven’t dug into it other than just staring at it. Hopefully I explained that ok…

Since I have the main shaft out of the trans, should in reinstall the top shift cover and see if I can get it to move while bolted down with nothin in its way?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was messing with it earlier and noticed i couldn’t get it to move/shift positions, like it’s stuck. How would I get the shift forks into the neutral position for reassembly?
Whatever you do now, just don't force it! With the forks out of their respective clutch collars (which keep the forks all centered and aligned, by default), they can easily move beyond the design limits of the interlock mechanism, allowing the lever to actually jump out of the shiftplate's groove, eventually.

So first get a flashlight and check/make sure nothing got "dislodged", in there. Then place the cover over a pair of 6x6 wood blocks, all clamped down to a work bench. With all three forks freely hanging straight down you should be able to shift through all positions, with not much effort.

DaneGer21

Whatever you do now, just don't force it! With the forks out of their respective clutch collars (which keep the forks all centered and aligned, by default), they can easily move beyond the design limits of the interlock mechanism, allowing the lever to actually jump out of the shiftplate's groove, eventually.

So first get a flashlight and check/make sure nothing got "dislodged", in there. Then place the cover over a pair of 6x6 wood blocks, all clamped down to a work bench. With all three forks freely hanging straight down you should be able to shift through all positions, with not much effort.
Yeah even out of the truck it is stuck.

Does it appear out of the shift plate maybe?

This is the first time Ie looked at it. Horrible picture I know.

Thanks!

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah even out of the truck it is stuck.

This is the first time Ie looked at it. Horrible picture I know.

Thanks!
The parts in the picture look clean and good to me.
More pictures down into or inside the transmission?

You might want to chock the wheels and remove the drive shaft. It might be that you could do that disconnect, then have some body under the truck try to slowly turn the output shaft - and see it you are in gear or in neutral. Gently trying to slide the gears forward or backward while rocking the output shaft might help you find neutral...

DaneGer21

The parts in the picture look clean and good to me.
More pictures down into or inside the transmission?

You might want to chock the wheels and remove the drive shaft. It might be that you could do that disconnect, then have some body under the truck try to slowly turn the output shaft - and see it you are in gear or in neutral. Gently trying to slide the gears forward or backward while rocking the output shaft might help you find neutral...
The rest of the transmission is disassembled. The whole main shaft and gear set are out.

The shift tower/cover is off the transmission, and it seems stuck or out of wack. Unless the ball and detents are that strong.

Attachments

DaneGer21

The rest of the transmission is disassembled. The whole main shaft and gear set are out.

The shift tower/cover is off the transmission, and it seems stuck or out of wack. Unless the ball and detents are that strong.
I’ll try to get it clamped down so it’s in the correct orientation.

DaneGer21

So how many roller bearings did you find. there should be 14. I bet one fell out during the last assembly. you need the shaft and 14 new roller bearings and MAYBE the input shaft in front of it that holds the rollers.
I still have to fish some out from below, or there may not be any down there, I’m not entirely sure yet. But as of now I have 8 in hand that hadn’t fallen.
Well I only found 11, unless some came out when I drained the case. I have the case pretty darn clean and I cannot see or feel anymore. I don’t have a magnet currently so unless they are hiding, or they went out the drain plug when I drained it. I’ll check that bucket later, but at this point I guess it doesn’t matter.

Ugh.

davidb56

Well I only found 11, unless some came out when I drained the case. I have the case pretty darn clean and I cannot see or feel anymore. I don’t have a magnet currently so unless they are hiding, or they went out the drain plug when I drained it. I’ll check that bucket later, but at this point I guess it doesn’t matter.

Ugh.
it does matter. you must find all of them unless you plan on pulling the transmission. I bought a small tip extendable magnet from Autozone to fish mine out, and yes, they do hide way under the lower gears and are time consuming to get them out. I doubt they came out with the gear oil draining. But Ive been wrong before..........I bought a MotoGuzzi once.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Unless the ball and detents are that strong.
They are. I don't think you would be able to shift it without installing the shift lever handle, or a piece of pipe, at least.
Hard to tell from that pic, but it looks OK to me. Make sure that the tip of the lever is still visible, protruding through the center slot in the shift plate, any position, even at the end of travel.

DSCI0034.JPG

DaneGer21

it does matter. you must find all of them unless you plan on pulling the transmission. I bought a small tip extendable magnet from Autozone to fish mine out, and yes, they do hide way under the lower gears and are time consuming to get them out. I doubt they came out with the gear oil draining. But Ive been wrong before..........I bought a MotoGuzzi once.
I got a magnet today. I picked up every piece of metal shaving/material in the bottom of the case and found ZERO more bearings.

Which means I only pulled out 11, no wonder there was an issue! Yikes!

Like I stated previously, someone else had been in the trans before me because I seen gasket material/silicone on the back of the case.

I still think the previous guy attempted a repair, but didn’t succeed. Either couldn’t get something apart or who knows. Thinking he grabbed the bearings that fell, and slapped it back together as is, with missing rollers, and put it up for sale…my theory at least

DaneGer21

As for the shifter and cover assembly, I took it all apart this evening. Everything seemed fine, EXECPT, I’m not so sure about the washers on the the two screws that go through the shift plate. The TM states 6, and shows what looks like all on the same side and stacked together between the spring and shift plate.

There are multiple combos of 6 that could work. Does anyone know how the “6” are together? Is that 6 total? 6 on each side?

Ive attached a pic of mine. It goes…washer/spring/washer/washer/shift plate (on each side). That would be six total. But the picture is deceiving and there is about 1/4”-3/8” before my shift plate slides and contacts the washer/spring combo(my picture doesn’t reflect that). This 1/4”-3/8” gap in my opinion causes slop to one side in the shifters

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks