• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found pieces of metal in tansfercase, it's a shame because i was going to sell it

Yeah i am located in DE and i have been watching local prices for a while, i think my price is right on once i fix it.

Here are a couple threads i found about the pieces. ALOT of people have found the pieces when changing the fluid and gone on to drive them with no issues or 10,000 plus miles. And even when it failed it wasnt catastrophic. So i dont think its ridiculous i posted about this and thinking it could be driven. I believe they are pieces of bearing cage for the input bearing. I have ZERO issues or symptoms with the transercase or truck. It drives great. I took it out today to try to listen for anything and make sure axle seal was leaked and hub didnt get hot. I heard nothing. I dont think the bearing has failed yet, just pieces that hold about 4 of the ball bearings in place have come off.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?74116-Found-metal-in-my-transfer-case

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?95509-Transfer-Case-Bad-Input-Bearing

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are to be commended for acknowledging this issue, being honest about it, and wanting to do right by your reputation and whoever buys your truck! That right there would make me feel comfortable buying something from you. I have seen lots of M35s with questionable pedigrees and much less representation sell for more than $4K. I think you are right on. Keep after it and let us know what you wind up doing.

Sephirothq

This has been very entertaining.

:popcorn:

Dueces for 2500? They sell for more then that on GL, in much worse condition. You can get much more then that for parts by the way

I would say get a take out transfer case for around $300, yes you can buy them for that. and put it back together. call it a day.

People don't want to buy something that has an issue.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There were a few a week or two ago that went ~2K on GL. Like mentioned before, it's a locality issue.

I dont want to put something in it that may or may not have been well cared for. I'd rather put a fully rebuilt case in it because in a few hundred miles the next owner or i could have the same problem again. An extra $500 for a sound piece of mind is well worth it to me. The cheapest route would be to put a used take out, but then i gotta find it, and hope it's good. I'd rather take the sure thing 15 miles from my house and be done with it. I do appreciate the input though. My option would be to remove the one in it, have it rebuilt, or put a rebuilt one in it. Seeing as this is a commong failure, i would like to start fresh in either case.

I would have to agree that here in DE, PA, NJ, eastern MD, that prices are much higher then i have seen in the southern or western states, i check in regularly on them on Ebay, there really arent many deuces in our area at all on there, probably 3-4 5 tons to every deuce on there

randygk

Just recently had experience with selling deuces and transfer case. Transfer case had same metal on same plug from probably same bearing. I would not drive truck in that condition as the bearing balls crowd to one area and would seem to hasten a failure. Fluid had turned to a thick molasses and smelled bad. Also found metal pieces stuck in hidden areas of the case. Pulled transfer case and tore down, input shaft bearing on one of the drive gears lost the ball cage, that is what the metal parts are from. Rest of gears, shaft, & shift fork all look new, so will replace bearings and seals and will reinstall. It is heavy and awkward to remove and work on. I bought an eng stand from HF to use.
Sold three deuces recently, one 1971 Kaiser ran good, whistler, good cond, but I had no history on it. Just checked fluids and no leaks for $2400. Was going to hold at $2700. but they took all three.
Good luck on it.

randygk

Good question, I don't know the answer. Actually I got my CDL just to not worry about it, but I've never been pulled over and don't know anyone who has in a deuce, have heard both side on the CDL issue. Licensing as a "Historic Vehicle" is only $81.00 a year, but then no hauling and supposed to drive only to parades and meetings. Commercial license would be from 400 to 1000 year depending on weight range. Sure received a lot of inquiries on the truck long after it sold, but as you know talk is cheap.

yeah i too have a class A but have never been pulled over in it. In DE it is not required but ive heard in CA it was. I thought it may be difficult because of your strict emissions requirements or cost extra. $81 isnt bad at all

3dAngus

I look at the body. I need a good straight body. I don't want to be buying a bunch of sheet metal to put on new fenders, doors, bed, and such.
You can get them cheap, and in good running condition, but you have to look at the entire package. GL assets are a huge unknown, even when screening them. There is only so much ground you can cover while screening because you cannot drive them, but can usually start them up and listen to them, which helps. Even then, you are taking a several thousand dollar gamble in repairs when you buy from GL, so you should or hope to get a better price from them then an individual.

And, as we are all different, I would prefer to spend a little more and get the $800 asset rebuilt from a reputable dealer, especially if only 15 miles away. Buying a used mechanical, moving part is a gamble, whether buying from a individual or commercial scrapper. Even they might not know the condition of it, and through no fault of their own. It's just a nature of the business. In my area, I prefer it have a winch on it and good sheet metal for a $5K purchase. I would pay $2500 all day long if in good condition and good body. Tires are not important. I would probably change them out, and it doesn't cost much to do so. I was selling decent 9X20NDTs on rims for $45 at the Ga. Rally. I don't want a dented body deuce for any price, but, that is just me. The next guy doesn't mind as it might be his specialty.

I would fix it with the rebuilt transfer case, fix the dents, and go for the $5K in your area. Just do it!
Show the buyer the receipts.

I dont think its in BAD condition or anything. The hoods dented, the driver side fender is bent down at the light a little and the roof is dented, and a little rusty, it definitely wasnt a factory hard top truck. One thing i noticed the other day when i was under there was the steering link (rear drag link i guess it would be called) was slightly bent on the drive side. Is that normal? It drives perfectly straight going down the road and i couldnt see where anything had contacted it every to bend it, i would think it would have to be a pretty solid hit to bend that piece of steel

Everything underneath is still painted a nice green when i pressure wash it off, not rusted out or really any frame surface rust. The door pannels have been repaired by the military i am assuming as they have patches painted over and look to be done well, nothing is rusted through in the door jams or floor pans or anything. It's by no means in restored or perfect condition but considering its age and having been over seas i thought it was in really good condition.

Attachments

3dAngus

In my area, with it running well and filters changed and xfer case OK, it would probably draw $2200-3500 without canvas, bows and dents in place.

That's a really wide range of prices for the same vehicle, but it is asking price in the locality, IMHO.

In your area, you just have to be your own best judge of things.

randygk

FYI, I contacted Boyce on the transfer case, $ 1450.00 rebuilt or $ 850 clean used (whatever that means). 165.00 shipping to Ca. Jatonka shows new ones on pallet on website, but never responded to my email.

I found an air shift one on TNJMurray for $800, i checked out and paid for it on their website, it didnt disappear. I hope they honor it. They are located in Dover, DE about 15 minutes away from me. They have ALOT of stuff, i was going to ask them what they think the truck is worth if i bring it to them. I'm not trying to rip anyone off or anything i just think it's priced reasonably for our area. If not i will keep it. I REALLY like the truck its just a matter of it being something i really dont NEED to have. I have a 4wd silverado/duramax, and a 4wd toureg its just a 'fun' item i have that costs me $50 a month to insure that i dont need to have.

In any case i am going to fix the TC, install the rebuilt, or if for some reason that one was no longer available, i will remove mine and take it to be rebuilt. If i dont get what i want for it i will just keep it, its not the end of the world. I do appreciate all the replies though and in helping identify the severity of the problem as my search yielded results that made it seem nothing to worry about.

http://www.tnjmurray.com/militaryve...AAC/catid/D472A09B-A91D-9FD1-218417816CD88AC4

Last edited:
I gotta say the guys at TNJ Murray are AWESOME! They had 10 there, pulled out 3 of them and had one of their mechanics go through each of them with me to give me whichever one i wanted/the best. He opened up all plugs and shined the light in there, engaged it in every each gear to make sure it worked with no binding or anything and even hooked up an air line and actuated the cylinder a few dozen times to make sure everything was in perfect working condition. Andy they let me have it for $700 since i was a local. You can even see the case is painted all nice inside too. I just need to sand the shift rod a little, it has some surface rust.

I will be installing it Tuesday probably. I cant say enough good things about TNJ Murray they are awesome. Very helpful and they said to just call their mechanic if i had any questions. They had hundreds of trucks there too, and goats, etc. I am going to fill the TC up first, and spin it from all angles to make sure the bearings are somewhat pre-lubeb. I'm also going to add a quart of lucas oil stabilizer, it should help keep those top bearings lubricated.

Attachments

3dAngus

That strikes me as a handsome piece of equipment for $700. You are one lucky fella! to live so close.

You might want to ask the question, what is the value of yours for rebuild. They might knock another $100 off for you. Unlikely it's going to do you any good, and this is the kind of company that is going to back their product, so it is very unlikely you will ever need yours again. In any case, congratulations on a great find. I have purchased from them online and found them to be fast and reliable and reasonable on most of the things I buy.

I asked them if they rebuilt them, the mechanic said they've had them apart but really just don't bother since they have so many new spares ready to go in. I will list mine on ebay probably, obviously with the problems ive found and maybe someone will want it as a spare to rebuild. It didnt actually fail or anything so it may be of some value to some one being there shouldnt have been any real damage done to it.

I'm very pleased with the deal i got on it, and the fact it was so close to where i live. I actually almost dont want to sell the truck now that i have met them and seen all they have to offer. They have everything i could ever need for the truck and are as close as any auto parts store.

They had 9 more air shifts rebuilt, i almost want to get a 2nd one being they seem to be so expensive elsewhere. $800 is super cheap for any rebuilt transfercase in my opinion

Last edited: