• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found remnants of a decal…

DaneGer21

Not sure how I missed this before, but tonight with the light just right in the garage I was able to see outlines of an old decal on the passenger door right below the window.

The letters are in all caps and appear to be…

APPEL

Not sure if it’s original or if it had been added at a later date, either way it’s completely gone except for the outline from being faded(I’m guessing)

I’m not even sure what it means. I will do my best to see if my phone can capture it.

Thoughts? Any ideas?

Im just curious that’s all…Thanks!

Pic1 is passenger side in question
Pic2 is driver side with nothing I can see

Attachments

DaneGer21

APPEL could very well be the driver's name.
Interesting thought.

I do not see one on the drivers side, unfortunately. You can tell by the different shades of paint and the “Star” decal being much worse on the drivers side. This is because of the way the truck had been facing the Sun when parked for many years. It very well could have been there also

Guyfang

Staff member
Most units discouraged painting anything on the doors. The front and backs, were often the only place allowed, and mostly not even that. Names on the window, yep. Good to go, so everyone could find out who to pin the rap on, when your truck was seen doing something wrong. Looks like 3 inch stencil? I went and looked at some Army 3 inch stencil I still have and the letters look like the same on the truck. If we were allowed to write on the trucks, it was normally in 3 inch. Maybe you should lightly sand the drivers door and see if something is there also?

DaneGer21

Most units discouraged painting anything on the doors. The front and backs, were often the only place allowed, and mostly not even that. Names on the window, yep. Good to go, so everyone could find out who to pin the rap on, when your truck was seen doing something wrong. Looks like 3 inch stencil? I went and looked at some Army 3 inch stencil I still have and the letters look like the same on the truck. If we were allowed to write on the trucks, it was normally in 3 inch. Maybe you should lightly sand the drivers door and see if something is there also?
Awesome information thank you. Here in a few months when spring rolls around and temps raise, I’m going to start working on the paint and body.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll look up his name and see where he’s from
It’s possible, he used to sell a lot of trucks on here, and probably still uses some MV’s. Check below the star and see if you might see the word excavating. @jcappeljr is just outside Delta, PA, and still pops in here every once in a great while.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John Appel...... the first thing that came to mind is a crazy Canadian heading south and buying a truck off Appel down in PA. He then loads it with tires and a trailer, drives all the way back to Alberta to drop off 6 - 11:00 - 20's to me for $300.00 total....total.......seano11 did all that for me.

If it's something else that's fine too but my Appel story is going to be better. Thanks Appel, whatever you are.

DaneGer21

Thats one of my old trucks.I have had over 350 military trucks.Were is it now.
It is in a small town called Creston, OH(44217). I bought it from a guy that said he drove it back from PA to his house In Cuyahoga Falls, OH. He owned it roughly 12yrs. Then I found it. I found a few pics from years ago on his Facebook page, probably when he first got it. It WAS a beautiful truck, unfortunately this last owner drove it into the ground, with very very little maintenance, if any. I purchased it non running AND non driving for $1500.

DaneGer21

@jcappeljr Here are pictures I found on the previous owners Facebook, from October 2009!

***The first picture is not him driving, maybe it was his dad, or maybe that’s you?!?***The second picture is definitely the house I went to when I bought it***

Attachments

Last edited:

DaneGer21

@jcappeljr Here is how I got the truck in November of 2021…wasn’t even road worthy.

The last pic is how it made it the 40min drive to my house.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks