• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found Scout Car M3A1 How much is it worth?!!

stancanpara

Found a Scout Car M3A1 that appears to have been converted to a boom truck. All front armor appears intact... Runs but no brakes... I have no idea what it is worth or what to offer etc!

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

photo 3.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Last edited:

Sikorsky502

I'm not a scout car guy, like the halftracks more, so I don't think I could give you a fair assessment, but in that condition not worth a fortune. If I was you I would post it up over on g503 and see what those guys have to say. Definetly worth something to someone.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Depends what you have in mind...restoration? Killer bucks! Do you have anything you could use the parts on?

I'm usually a fall guy for the "save the ugly duckling" vehicles but I honestly think it's down to a parts vehicle. Having said that, I can see some valuable parts there...if you need them.

Definitely worth more than scrap value...to the right person.

Wayofftrack

It is hard to put a value on this stuff sometimes, especially these days. This is in my area of operations so I'll give it a shot. It is an early model so that is sort of a plus except the parts specific to an early model are even harder to find especially the under the hood do-dads. The doors are valuable. Scout car frames don't stand up well to abuse so if the frame is in rough shape it may be best for parts. It would be an expensive restoration if you are a stickler for correct details. If the doors are not warped or cracked (which is very common) then the doors are worth more than the scrap value to the right guy who wants original stuff. Other than that don't see anything exciting. If you can get it for $500-1000 pick it up for sure. After that it starts to get questionable. I would personally not pay more than $1000 for it unless all the under hood goodies like the distributor shielding was there.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Way off track is in the ball park with his statement.
A friend who has done several frame off restorations on WWII vehicles did a scout car that was one of the ones returned from Greece, years ago. It was very complete, he said it was the hardest vehicle he had ever restored.
If I found it, I would buy it just to pass along to someone with time and money to save it. That is what I did with the one I found.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Wayofftrack

I don't want to seem discouraging just trying to be realistic. Scout cars are rare just don't get excited and pay too much if you know what I mean. If the motor was really strong, good compression on all cylinders, etc and it has some unseen goodies under the hood I could see it selling for more, perhaps 2-3K. I did a JXD rebuild about 8 years ago and assembled it myself and it still cost $1700.00 (on an already pretty good running motor) and that was after lucking into a deal on 6 nos pistons for $90.00 for the set.
On the up side you can get a set of rear repro armor for about $2500.00

SteveKuhn

This might not be a good idea if you're looking for a real restoration, but if it's pretty sound and the price falls in as above, it might be fun to just flesh it out as what it now is. Give it the feel of one that couldn't do the original job but that was put together to work in the field for lifting, transporting and the like. I could see it next to a runway in North Africa or the South Pacific. You could stay proper period, and take it a step at a time.

'Course I hallucinate all kinds of weird things.

Best with it and looking forward to what you do with it.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks