• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found some cool pictures - M944A1 SEORTM

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as I would love to... at this point if I bring anything larger than a CUCV or M151 home, my sweet girlfriend would leave me.....

**Note to self... when I'm ready to be single, lonely and miserable... bring home another 5 ton**

HDN

As much as I would love to... at this point if I bring anything larger than a CUCV or M151 home, my sweet girlfriend would leave me.....

**Note to self... when I'm ready to be single, lonely and miserable... bring home another 5 ton**
A rebound truck :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't mind an empty machine shop truck as long as it still had the generator. A blank slate means I could put whatever tools I'd want in it. You can run a lot of stuff on 35 kW 3-phase. To put it in perspective, a typical home in the USA uses 0.7-1.5 kW at any given time, so you could even run your home and your neighbor's homes during a power outage.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John Winslow (RIP) had one for sale once that was really clean. His truck was complete and fully operational. He had it for quite a long time as I guess it was not a hot seller. He offered it to me and I considered it for a while, but I did not end up buying it. It was probably 15 or more years ago, but I think he offered it to me for $25K. Considering all the truck had with it, I did not feel that was a crazy price.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you are in deed looking I will ask my friend but about his but lets figure it is not cheap. Last time I saw his all the equipment was there and in good shape.
Floridianson , I don't know that I have enough bread - but I would definitely like to know his asking price.

The best thing about it would be that PTO powered generator. If you can drive to the problem, at least you would know that you would have power when you get where you are going. Being able to turn metal and make parts would be a heck of a plus too!

Tim Mullaney

HDN

I was looking at these pictures from their source again and it turns out that this truck is actually listed for sale on Facebook Marketplace in Michigan. If anyone's serious about getting this machine I suggest checking there! I usually use the search term "military truck" on the Marketplace.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
M818 with shop trailer

here's a fun article on the generation prior version with some good photos...
That article and truck and trailer are really fabulous!
I stole the pictures (with attribution)... They are just too good to not be part of the SS collection.
SOURCE: Backward Glances: Military M-818 6x6 and Shop Trailer From the Vietnam Era
Jim Allen (Writer) February 7, 2018
Motortrend.com

M-818 Tractor (M-809 Series 5-ton) 01 (1969).jpg M-818 Tractor (M-809 Series 5-ton) 02 + Machine Shop Trailer.jpg M-818 Tractor (M-809 Series 5-ton) 03 +12kw, 240V generator.jpg M-818 Tractor (M-809 Series 5-ton) 04 + Hobart dynamotor 200-amp welder.jpg M-818 Tractor (M-809 Series 5-ton) 05.jpg M-818 Tractor (M-809 Series 5-ton) 06.jpg

The guy that owns this truck is a Vietnam Vet too!

THANKS for posting the link to the story US6x4 !
I don't think I have seen a shop trailer interior that clean and complete!!

Guyfang

Staff member
This is the Bat Mobile I know and love. Comes with side curtains also. So you can warm it up in the cold winter days. Gen set was a bit loud, but to someone who has already damaged his hearing, not too bad.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the Bat Mobile I know and love. Comes with side curtains also. So you can warm it up in the cold winter days. Gen set was a bit loud, but to someone who has already damaged his hearing, not too bad.
I worked inside my trailer without a coat in 20*F temps with the heater running, sides partially open and no curtains up. The engine was annoying but not terribly loud.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That article and truck and trailer are really fabulous!
I stole the pictures (with attribution)... They are just too good to not be part of the SS collection.
SOURCE: Backward Glances: Military M-818 6x6 and Shop Trailer From the Vietnam Era
Jim Allen (Writer) February 7, 2018
Motortrend.com

View attachment 847691 View attachment 847692 View attachment 847693 View attachment 847694 View attachment 847695 View attachment 847696

The guy that owns this truck is a Vietnam Vet too!

THANKS for posting the link to the story US6x4 !
I don't think I have seen a shop trailer interior that clean and complete!!
He displays this combo at the Armed Forces Day event in Findlay (Oh) each year. This one is almost identical, and more complete, to the one I owned, but a few years older if I recall. Mr Price has quite a collection of M/Vs, including an LVT.

12Bravo

I know this is an old thread, but I haven't logged on in quite some time. I thought I would share a photo of my M944A1 that I operated while stationed in Baumholder Germany.

We were setting it up right before we started putting up the camo netting. I gave my platoon leader trouble about the camo netting by telling him the enemy would never guess something was on the hill top since one minute it was bare and the next minute there was a small treee grove.

Batmobile.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
40th E? I worked on two HEMMT's A3 Tankers back in 2009 or 2010? Replaced the transfers. Had not been in Baumholder in 25 years. Not a lot had changed. Thats where my Father in Law did "Basic" in 1941. All the stone buildings had not changed he said, in 1980. Place is still open and some more troops are going to be stationed ther, ASAP. New building, so I heard.

HDN

This thread still active?
Found this on Facebook Marketplace out in Freetown, Massachusetts
My wife actually approves of me getting one of these Batmobiles, especially if it means it would help me fix stuff :ROFLMAO: . Now I just need to find one!

Nice trailer find, even has the big machine tools! Now if I only had a truck to pull it...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to keep in mind with both truck and trailer batwings -carefully check the top hinge before you try opening the sides! The hinge (on every one I have seen) is rubber, conveyor-belt type material. That stuff degrades over time and comes apart, so if you unlatch the sides and that stuff breaks......
I have experience in helping a friend re-attach a trailer one that he did not check before opening by himself. :oops:

Cheers

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread still active?
Found this on Facebook Marketplace out in Freetown, Massachusetts
These things are great, if they produce power and the machinery works, otherwise you'll have a unique storage shed. Not too difficult to work on but parts for the dynamotor might be hard to come by. Besides the wing hinges at the top, another weak point is where the hydraulic pistons attach to the wing, the attachment point likes to flex and crack, but can be welded. The missing doors to the engine compartment, as well as the condition of the engine and the compartment itself, is interesting.
The one I had, hinges were excellent, ran great (after I repaired the dynamotor), and all of the machinery ran well. Overall was a very good unit.

Anyone looking at one of these needs to look it over very carefully, and test everything.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He displays this combo at the Armed Forces Day event in Findlay (Oh) each year. This one is almost identical, and more complete, to the one I owned, but a few years older if I recall. Mr Price has quite a collection of M/Vs, including an LVT.
100_0588.JPGTom's other toy , The wife went for a ride in the LVT !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks