• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found some tanks in the weeds today

xtsix

sorry i didnt get to take any pics:cry: but i found heaven today. i found a junkyard that has 2 british scorpion tanks, 2 fv103s, 2 fv432s. from what i heard none of the green iron is in danger of being scrapped, but im wondering if anyone on here is familliar with british armor, im looking to possibly buy one of the scorpions or a personel carrier, none of them have engines in them, but included in the sale are the original rebuilt jag engines. im not verry familiar with british armor, and would apreciate any input. what are they worth, and if anyone is interested in buying any give me a pm, i really dont want to give up the location just yet

martinwcox

All the rebuilders are in the UK and few and far between, most people try and find a 'good' takeout but that is a gamble at best. I have a Scorpion and have enquired.

martinwcox

If they are outside and not covered there is a high possibility that they have lots of water in them, if you get a chance pictures would be great.

eagle4g63

Just a little hint please..........did you find these over there by you or here in Indiana? I know of a place over here that has green iron in it (tanks too)...........just getting the guy to actually give up a number is near impossible.......I tried to get some stuff from him just over a year ago.....

xtsix

Just a little hint please..........did you find these over there by you or here in Indiana? I know of a place over here that has green iron in it (tanks too)...........just getting the guy to actually give up a number is near impossible.......I tried to get some stuff from him just over a year ago.....
it is in indiana, about an hour and a half from me, lots of deuces, trailers and cucvs, he just got about 10 pallets of 395s on mrap rims also

Stalwart

BTW, the last price I saw for the David Brown TN15 NEW was about $120,000 USD, that was 12-15 years ago. That is why I have a spare one we got out of Australia. Speaking of the Aussies, they were paying about $23,000 for a new set of tracks. I've averaged about $3000 for NOS ones.

teletech

So, in the intervening year did somebody have a good look at these or buy some?
I'm in the market for a CVR(T), likely a scorpion, spartan, or sabre but open to whatever comes along.

teletech

He has 6x but is keeping one (the only tank), the remainders are $15K/each
They are missing their heat exchangers, most or all periscopes, and are generally very rough I'm told.
2 Samaritans
2 Sultans
1 Spartan

teletech

Me too.
I'm having a pair shipped over as soon as my form-6 comes through.
If I was close enough to him that shipping was a non-issue I'd be interested but once I priced moving one to CA I decided to get a more recent and complete example even if I did have to ask the bureau of loud parties permission first, still I do very much hope that someone takes on a couple of these and puts them right.

Stuart, love your Scorp. Belgian or British?

martinwcox

Me too.
I'm having a pair shipped over as soon as my form-6 comes through.
If I was close enough to him that shipping was a non-issue I'd be interested but once I priced moving one to CA I decided to get a more recent and complete example even if I did have to ask the bureau of loud parties permission first, still I do very much hope that someone takes on a couple of these and puts them right.

Stuart, love your Scorp. Belgian or British?
What did you end up buying?

Did you get the demil sorted out re your other thread?

Including Stuarts I know of 3 Scorpions on the West Coast, his, one in the Bay Area and the other owned by a good friend of mine in Northern CA.

Now you need to start getting a pile of spares, track, running gear, engine, gearbox and all the little consumable stuff, then there is always some bit of CES that you can never seem to find.

Sounds like you are going to have fun.

Last edited:

teletech

What did you end up buying?

Did you get the demil sorted out re your other thread?

Including Stuarts I know of 3 Scorpions on the West Coast, his, one in the Bay Area and the other owned by a good friend of mine in Northern CA.

Now you need to start getting a pile of spares, track, running gear, engine, gearbox and all the little consumable stuff, then there is always some bit of CES that you can never seem to find.

Sounds like you are going to have fun.
Well, there is finally one more just south of the bay area so at least four Scorpions then. How many other variants I wonder?
Any info on the SF bay one?

I wound up with a Belgian Scimitar that had been made into a Scorpion but needs total rebuild plus ammo racks for 76mm (or a Rarden, heh) and a British Sturgeon which seems nice but is less a gearbox. I also got some tons of parts but of course not some of the stuff I need right now which is: clutch parts, steering pads, driver's seat back, dashboard, and traverse gearbox.

I got the demil sorted fine but the customs fallout was nasty: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138852-How-NOT-to-import-armor

On spec, I brought over a couple extra heat exchangers to make life easier for whoever takes on some of Noel's CVR(T).
I'm also planning to visit him and his fleet late this month to have a look at the state of them, not that I need another vehicle but I sure could use some parts so if one is getting parted I want to talk about it.

teletech

Well, I went by partly to get the reg#s for posterity and partly to talk about some parts and here's what I found.
The correct head count 3 Spartans, 1 Sultan, 1 Samaritan, and 1 Sabre.

They are pretty complete other than a near total lack of prisms but the last 5-10 years of sitting outside has been tough on them.
Many swollen torsion bar tunnels and most are up to the tubes in water. so the hydraulics will need a complete overhaul.
The motors are out and several are pointed such that they have been flooded. The Sabre is NFS but if one wanted a rare high-top variant for not that much money to start with I'd say they are all salvageable with some *hard* work.

He has a very impressive collection of new and old deuces and 5-tons, at least a dozen in all, plus an interesting tracked carrier and other surplus goodies as well so if one was passing through central Illinois and was in the market for a vehicle it might be worthwhile to have a look.

Attachments

teletech

This fellow does have some fun toys, including this MCV 509 ser#01 which is a tracked carrier based on the T113 but with a big rotary engine! It is interesting how much narrower the track is than M113 track. I should have gotten a better picture of the engine so someone better versed than I could ID it.

Attachments

Stalwart

Rotary engine like a Wankel, or a radial engine like fitted to earlier aircraft and some tanks. Answer to an earlier post, I have a British Scorpion. Too bad seeing so many CVRT's going to crap but thats' the way it goes . . .

teletech

Rotary engine like a Wankel, or a radial engine like fitted to earlier aircraft and some tanks. Answer to an earlier post, I have a British Scorpion. Too bad seeing so many CVRT's going to crap but thats' the way it goes . . .
Tank/aircraft type, you can just make out some of the engine and exhaust system in the first couple pictures.

I don't suppose you are at Aquino this weekend?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks