• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found XM 211

cbvet

Just found an XM 211 sitting in a field not far from me. I'm told it last ran 5-6 years ago.
Owner wants to sell it. I have no idea what it's worth, or if it can be restored. I'm trying to decide whether to make an offer. I suppose I could always part it out if there is anyone who would buy the parts.

Cab, hood, doors & other front sheet metal in very nice shape. Bed is pretty rusted. Other than the addition of a snow plow bracket, it appears original & complete. All the data plates etc are on the dash. Made in January 1953.

I've never seen one of these things before. Maybe someone familiar could answer some questions?

1. Any guess as to the chance the engine & trans might be any good? I know there are a lot of variables, but wonder if someone else may have worked on a similar one.

2. Are there parts, such as brake, engine, & trans parts available?

3. Would the winch from this truck fit on my 1970 M35?

4. The 900 x 20 tires all appear to be up. Will these wheels fit my 1970 M35?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Eric

MVtrucker

Well, if you're looking for a major project, you found it. I restored a 1952 M135 and it was a lot of work, even tough it ran and the transmission was in good condition.
Personally, I wouldn't pay much over $300.00 for the one you're looking at. The motor could be seized and you won't know about the transmission until you get the truck up and running, unless there's obvious damage such a cracked housing.

2. Are there parts, such as brake, engine, & trans parts available?
Yes, they're around, though some parts are a little hard to find.
3. Would the winch from this truck fit on my 1970 M35?
I don't know. I sold my M135 w/w and can't make a comparison for you.
4. The 900 x 20 tires all appear to be up. Will these wheels fit my 1970 M35?
They should.

cbvet

Thanks Joe!

I'm told he wants $600 for it. Says he can get that much as scrap. I doubt that's correct, but it's what he says.

I really hate to see it get melted, but I guess I'll have to let it go.

Thanks again,

Eric

MVtrucker

Eric,
I also took on a M211, besides my M135. Never again. On the M211, it took me a full day to do each wheel's brake system, bearings and seals. I had to locate the special steel brake lines and fabricated the standard ones and rebuild the two wheel cylinders in each brake assembly. Replaced exhaust system and cracked manifold. Another hard job on the M135 was the parking brake. Somebody probably yanked the brake on while the truck was moving. This caused the cast lug that holds the unit in place to break of and all of the linkage was wrapped up and ruined. This was a pretty big job to repair and expensive. The part with the lug on it was $175.00, but I was lucky and found a used one. Changing out a poor cargo bed isn't too bad, if you have the right equipment. I'm lucky to have a 5-ton wrecker, making the job almost a cinch. I gave up on the M211 and sold it. I was so disgusted with it I sold it for $1000,00 and threw in over $1000.00 in NOS and take out parts and new canvas.

Edit: I just found more pics of the M135 in my files, so I'm adding them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks