• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Four speed browning.

Fyre

Quick question, I drove a 530B in the Air Force, it had a 5 speed main and a 4 speed browning, 20 forward and 4 reverse. How hard is it to get a 4 speed browning now days? this was in 1979, all the M35a2 that I see only have HI/Lo out put box. In a few years when I get a chance to buy a M35a2 I would love to install the Browing, not the Hi/lo 10 forward and 2 reverse gears.

If you get a chance to respond, I would love to hear more on this.

Now one request- can you post any pictures of the AS32-530b, this is the Duce and a half firefighting version.

Thanks,

Don Elwell.
fyre317@yahoo.com

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site. It has been done on at least 2 trucks that I know of. The limiting factor is finding one.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I think you mean a "Brownie" auxillary transmission.

If you think split shifting a deuce with HI/LOW is a beotch try splitting 4.

It goes something like this: Put tranny in 1st and aux in 1st...shift 1-2-3-4...shift tranny to 2nd and aux to 2nd...shift tranny 2-3-4...shift tranny to 3rd and aux to 3rd....shift tranny 3-4...shift tranny to 4th and aux to 4th....you are in direct now (I am using 2nd as first since I never use "granny gear" in a deuce.

Keep in mind that if you are under load or going uphill and you miss a gear you will have to stop and start all over. Down shifting is a real nightmare in that you have to know the correct road speed for all gears in all ranges or you can overspeed the engine if you put it in the wrong gear.

That is why the two sticks were replaced by trannys like the 10-13-15 speed Road Rangers.

I can drive a two stick but I am not good at it.

Wolf.Dose

If you can not shift a sliding gear transmission stick to automatic....
When I made my truck drivers licence, syncronised truck were new, but the driving school had the old ones.
Wolf

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I also used to drive a B61 Mack with the 20-speed quadraplex twin-stick trans. I got pretty good at it. I used to get a kick out of watching the newbies go through all 20 gears when when the truck was empty. Guess they were just "practicing," huh? 'course it's kinda funny that they usually only did it when there were pretty girls around. ;)

hmburner

When I get home to good old Ontario I think we will be scrapping a twenty ton American crane that has either a 4 speed or 3 speed Brownie in it. I am in PEI doing a tug boat engine at the moment,but IM me with your phone number and I will let you know when I get home. This crane also has a good running 453 if anyone is interested

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks