• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Four wheel steering

@Ford Mechanic
As you said that we haven't even touched liability stand point. ANY mod done to a truck can cause liability issues. Such as changing to bigger tires or on a major scale bobbing the truck.

I am not one to shy away from modding anything just make sure it is done the right way with all propper safteys that can be built in. Also if you are not fully knowledgable on the mod you are doing spend the money on systems that have been designed by reputable people.

Again electronics fail on a regular basis. This could be a round and round convo and I think that is starting to detract from the OP thread. The main topic is just make sure it is as safe as can be consult with professionals and don't cheap out and cut corners.

Ford Mechanic

Last edited:

InfiniteFoamies

So from what I gather here I will be doing a rear steer mod, but because of the cost of the control setup for the time being I will only install a front axle in the rear when I bob it and will lock it straight with non system to steer because in my mind it doesn't make sense to have the axles off and then to have to drop them again down the road. Thanks for the insight and links guys!

On a side note I have grown up in a machine shop and my father is a master mechanic who will be working on this project with me at his shop.

blackrock

THats good thinking save the money so it can be done right. Sounds like a good project. Let me know if you need any custom tabs cut. My cnc plasma cutter is always ready. thanks kyle

InfiniteFoamies

Cnc plasma cutter?! We may have to talk, pm me your email please.

But do you guys agree if I can get the second front end now then do that instead of having to drop it again down the road?

@ford mechanic, what do you have as far as fords? Old fords are my true passion

Ford Mechanic

The only Ford left in my possesion is a 2003 Ranger, just my daily driver if I'm not driving my M35. I work for a Ford dealer in Edenton, NC (go figure). Something also to think about is the caster angle on the rear steer axle. A common mod here is to increases the caster angle of the front axle towards the rear, exspecaily after installing larger tires. It helps with cutting out death wobble, touchy or darty steering, wandering, return to center, and ease of turning. Just something you may want to brush up on and do during install instead of finding it out after the fact and have to pull some of it apart again. There are lots of threads in this section about it and 2 different methods, one is just to flip the spring perches, and probably the more correct method is the Gringletuabe method of grinding out a amount on the perches. Both are out lined here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?97810-Deuce-Still-wandering-across-the-lane/page2

Good luck and more importantly be safe!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The trucks that have rws from the factory only steer the rear wheels slightly compared to front steering. I don't think you would want it to steer in the back at speed but if it were set up to only steer say 10 percent of front steer input, you don't move the wheel much to steer at speed so the rear wouldn't move much then

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It may be easier said than done though. Even with the rear wheel being slightly out it would equate to dragging tires at say 50mph. You should buy a HET it comes with rws already you could put a flat bed on the back and put the deuce on the back.

InfiniteFoamies

I always up for a good challenge. I will mock something up and do an alignment test before making it permanent. Buying another vehicle would honestly be too easy and cost too much. I guess this would be a good time to mention I am 17.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to experience rear steer at low speed, drive a forklift around. They are squirrely at just 10 MPH. The lock pin is a must. Elec over hydraulic is the way to go for sure. Once you get used to operating it you can have lots of fun in low speed parking lots, cruise ins and rallys.

InfiniteFoamies

I want to use it for offroading and rally's so all low speed. I want to experience of adding it on to a vehicle and being able to say I did it. I will definitely have a lockable setup. What do you think of pneumatic over elec?

M-1028

Haldex is the brand pump I used, they are around $500 and work great. Only issue is I don't know if they come in 24 volt. You should be well under $1500 for a good reliable system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks