• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame Rail FMTV VIN number

coachgeo

Previously someone mentioned they thought these trucks started getting frame rail vin stamps and not just cab plate. Does anyone know about what year that started and where on Frame the stamp would be? Struggling with getting my 95yr 1078 Titled and Registered. It sure would make all this easier if there was some **** number on the frame rail somewhere that matched what is on the title. I know wishful thinking and odds are its no dice but cant hurt to ask.

Its been 10 months now getting this ironed out.

. MO BMV idiots lost the FL title with sellers and my name on it that we turned into BMV day of sell in April 2016.
. On a whim I got a Notarized Bill of sale at same location/Day.
. MO found FL title; 8 months later and after a call from a MO State House Rep. lighting a fire under their arse. (thank you to the Rep. for supporting me on this)
. MO then decides a special inspection by MO Highway Patrol to fill out 30$ form 551 must be done; due to non 17 digit vin conformance
. Once MO gets 551 back they will send title with 17 digit VR (NOT VIN) number.
. MO nicely agreed to allow OH Highway patrol to fill out form so don't have to take off work (hourly wage) and drive 16 hours total back and forth
. OH Highway Patrol is so far refusing cause they want a title in hand first and could care less about NOTARIZED Bill of Sale even though MO form they are filling out accepts it (Idiots in OH too apparently)

. When somehow magically get the MO title completed OH will then require same inspection all over again to fill out their version of same form cause the newly issued MO 17 digit number won't be stamped on vehicle.
. OH then will start process to get an OH something like a Salvage/Self build Title?
. Apparently in OH anything without 17 digits including Military Rigs are considered Salvage/Self Built Vehicles resulting in a Salvage type Title once done. YIKES

Update on last three items listed above..... see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...l-VIN-number&p=1968310&viewfull=1#post1968310

Last edited:

coachgeo

Maybe a break...Just made a call back to MO to get more detail on what I would get back if I can get the 551 form done and returned to them.. They said I would get the title AND a small plate with reassigned VIN number matching Title that is to be permanently attached to the vehicle. So with that I should be able to get OH title and plates and not have to be reinspected as Salvage/Special Built VIN allll over again in OH.

Now just got to talk an OH salvage inspection station to fill out the MO 551

Last edited:

coachgeo

SIf it was already titled in another state they should just accept it for reg with the same identification
Sure would be logical wouldn't it. But since when is Gobberment logical. ;-) Thus apparently for sure Logic is not the case if the VIN is not 17 digits in both OH and MO. Curious how other OH Military Vehicles "of recent" have fared in these two states. There appears to have been a few FMTV in MO done without the 551 but an attempt to title a M936A2 and an FMTV by a Peace Officer in MO spoke up in here that even he was required to do it too for each of those rigs. I've shouted out to him via email to see how things ended up and to see if they did issue a little frame plate with new number and where/how they attached it.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Plenty of vehicles out there with non compliant vin numbers. The only way to really know is to read all the statutes over. You might find something in there you can bring up to them.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have registered both a LMTV and a M923 in Central Ohio without issue. The M923 was purchased from GL and titled and registered using only the sale paperwork. The LMTV was already titled in WVA and was transfered with only the signed title. Both BMV and title offices i used knew what they were doing and took care of it in under 15mins. The Ohio Vin inspection can be done by the BMV or a car dealer. Sorry you are having so much trouble.

Monkeyboyarmy

All of my mv's that i have registered in Ohio have had less than 17 digit vins, some only 6 digits, and has been a simple process of having the vin number (on the data plate) verified to match the form 97 or previous title.

ramdough

Start an LLC in Montana and register it there through the mail. Then get lifetime plates. No inspections, sales tax, or annual registration fees besides the LLC annual fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Taking Will's suggestion am reading deeper and see there is potential I've miss read MO argument to be a non conforming "VIN". Seems it could be they are claiming it as a "non conforming" USA Vehicl

Below is description written on back of the 551 form of who must have the form completed.

This examination form (DOR-551) expires six months from date of inspection, and must be completed in the following situations:

• 1. When converting a salvage title into an original title; (branded)
  • 2. When obtaining a new vehicle identification number on a motor vehicle;
  • 3. When the motor vehicle qualifies as a rebuilt, reconstructed, specially constructed, motor change, kit, or* Non-USA-Std. motor vehicle as defined below;
  • 4. When an out-of-state vehicle has a previous salvage title record in Missouri, if applicable; and
  • 5. When applying for an original title on abandoned property
  • and on any other vehicle as the director may require

*Non-USA-Std. Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle not originally manufactured in compliance with united states standards. The title will be
branded “
Non-USA Std. Motor Vehicle.”

Concerns me a lot to have a title that says NON-USA Std. Motor Vehicle. who knows what problems that will cause down the road. Example... it sets up a perfect scapegoat for insurance company's lawyers to say why they deny to cover a claim... "Well sorry its a Non standard vehicle.. we don't cover that. In good faith we insured your vehicle as standard truck". Now we learn it is a "non standard" truck thus we deny your insurance claim.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Will's title service can get it reg in your name like the title services do. It wouldnt be cheap it would have to be done as a truck for non commercial use but still by phys weight.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont understand why you are titling it in missouri if you are in Ohio. Why not use the title from Fla. and transfer it to Ohio?

coachgeo

I dont understand why you are titling it in missouri if you are in Ohio. Why not use the title from Fla. and transfer it to Ohio?
Sell to me transpired at MO BMV where he lived. He had not yet converted the FL "buyers" title to "owner" title in his state of residence (MO). Anotherwords FL title was not in his name directly but in name of dealer who sold/transferred ownership to him as first buyer". Seller preferred to go ahead and transfer it all to MO title which should have resulted in MO recording his ownership AND transfer of that ownership to me. MO would then be mailing me a title with my name on it as owner.... if everything would have transpired as any normal vehicle sale would. Plan was I then convert that one to an OH title where I reside.

At the time I was wondering if it would be better to have just taken the FL title with my name recorded on it as second buyer since such a spot is available on the title. Most titles have a place to record several succeeding buyers on the back of them. Granted have heard that some states won't convert an out of state title with a "second buyer" to an Owner title in that state in second buyers name.

Last edited:

deshet

Start an LLC in Montana and register it there through the mail. Then get lifetime plates. No inspections, sales tax, or annual registration fees besides the LLC annual fees.

Can you elaborate on this a little more? I need to do this for all of my vehicles. Any idea what lifetime plates costs?

Thanks,

ramdough

Can you elaborate on this a little more? I need to do this for all of my vehicles. Any idea what lifetime plates costs?

Thanks,
Google Montana rv plates. There are companies that set all of this up for you. They handle most of the leg work (and charge you for it).

It pays off best if you are paying sales tax. And if you are doing multiple vehicles.

It is not cheap, but if you are keeping your vehicle long enough, it may be worth it.

I think the LLC was $300 to set up and $50 per year after. Each vehicle was a few hundred to register and a few hundred for the lifetime plate (must be over 10 years old).

So, it really pays for big tax bills or annual registration fees if you keep it long enough.

coachgeo

So who if anyone in here beside Bill (also in MO) has had to have any form of inspection in their state that records various serial numbers on your vehicle (tranny, engine, public VIN etc.) in the process of getting your title. Some states (OH and MO) use same inspection station and paperwork used for kit cars, abandoned cars, salvaged cars etc. MO Department of Revenue is presently claiming everything after 1980something with a non conforming VIN number to meet FEDERAL TITLE Standards must get this type of inspection and receive a conforming VIN. I'm calling Bull*** but have nothing to stand on yet.

Even Bill (mentioned earlier) whom MO required to have this inspection.. ended up sending him a title that was NOT 17 digit.... it had the standard military VIN on the title. So this idiot at DOR is making no since.

Please also say if you have NOT had to have such an inspection and what state your from so I can get a head count as some backup data.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Most states require some type of vin verification for vehicles that are not previously registered in that state. In CT theres
a list of approved private garages that do it. Mil vehicles are supposed to go to dmv for it but if one of the garages will do it for you dmv usually accepts it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks