• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame Rail FMTV VIN number

coachgeo

Most states require some type of vin verification for vehicles that are not previously registered in that state. In CT theres a list of approved private garages that do it. Mil vehicles are supposed to go to dmv for it but if one of the garages will do it for you dmv usually accepts it.
Thanks. Not sure we are talking same thing. This is a second step beyond the normal VIN inspection / IDOD. (IDOD as in ID=Vin and OD=odometer) This additional step is far beyond a normal Vin inspection and as you suggest done at only at certain locations in about dozen places spread out thru out the state. BUT at leas In OH and MO these are spots run by Motor Vehicle Dept. and not certified repair shops as far as I can tell . They inspect and record:

• Public VIN ??? whatever the heck that is
  • Police VIN AND Year ???
  • Engine VIN AND Year
  • Transmission VIN AND Year
  • Federal Label ?????
and many other things

Example:
MO http://dor.mo.gov/forms/551.pdf
OH http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/doc/Inspection_brochure.pdf

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Public VIN ??? whatever the heck that is Police VIN AND Year ???Engine VIN AND YearTransmission VIN AND YearFederal Label ?????
Public VIN is the VIN on the door frame and dash of most commercially sold vehicles. Police VIN is the number hidden on the vehicle that, for the most part, only law enforcement know the location of. That is to help ID stolen vehicles with phony Public VINs.

In TX you can get a VIN inspection at the same locations that do annual safety inspections. Also, if registering as a Former Military Vehicle no inspection of any kind is needed (including VIN inspection). No one has touched my vehicle to inspect it except me.

coachgeo

..... Police VIN is the number hidden on the vehicle that, for the most part, only law enforcement know the location of. That is to help ID stolen vehicles with phony Public VINs......
Thanks makes logical sense. Would it be correct to assume there is no Police Vin on Stewart Stevens/BAE/Oshkosh military trucks?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks makes logical sense. Would it be correct to assume there is no Police Vin on Stewart Stevens/BAE/Oshkosh military trucks?
I doubt it. Only way to know for sure is ask a LEO that specializes in stolen vehicles to see if it's in their database.

Chief_919

Sell to me transpired at MO BMV where he lived. He had not yet converted the FL "buyers" title to "owner" title in his state of residence (MO). Anotherwords FL title was not in his name directly but in name of dealer who sold/transferred ownership to him as first buyer". Seller preferred to go ahead and transfer it all to MO title which should have resulted in MO recording his ownership AND transfer of that ownership to me. MO would then be mailing me a title with my name on it as owner.... if everything would have transpired as any normal vehicle sale would. Plan was I then convert that one to an OH title where I reside.

At the time I was wondering if it would be better to have just taken the FL title with my name recorded on it as second buyer since such a spot is available on the title. Most titles have a place to record several succeeding buyers on the back of them. Granted have heard that some states won't convert an out of state title with a "second buyer" to an Owner title in that state in second buyers name.
It doesn't help you now, but this is why I ALWAYS tell people don't take anything other than a clear title signed over. No reassignments of a title in someone elses name, no SF-97's in someone elses name. a clear title signed over and in hand. If teh seller isn't willing to pay $30-50 at the DMV to get in in their name first run away.

Anything else inevitably leads to messes like this. I can't begin to count the number of people who have come in my store asking for help because they bought a truck from a flipper who gave them a bill of sale and the SF-97 in the original buyers name and assured them they would have no problems- then when the DMV inevitably turned them away said "you should have checked with your state, I told you what I was giving you". I know of at least 3 people who got trucks from the same guy in TN who was doing that, knowing full well that the guys in NC couldn't get a title with what he was providing. He was doing it because he didn't want all those titles going through his name because then the state would flag him and make him get a dealers license, and he didn't want to spend the few extra bucks to do things right.

Turns out he didn't want to get a TN dealers license because he had prior convictions for violations involving titles and auto sales and couldn't, one of my customers found that out after filing a complaint with the TN DMV. His for sale listing disappeared after that. seems he wanted to stay in the game and figured he could flip surplus under the radar.

coachgeo

It doesn't help you now, but this is why I ALWAYS tell people don't take anything other than a clear title signed over....
agree, We (seller and I) Turned in the FL title to MO to get the clean MO title and "he" paid for all the steps at that time while in the office and is "still" providing assistance and paying for all the inspections that keep getting added on one after another by MO without any notice till we call asking why the title has not been mailed yet and they inform of of the new inspection we've got to do.

Got lucky. Ben's a great guy. He even flew from OR to IL to drive the truck to MO to get an additional inspection they required last time we called to find out why they had not sent the title yet. Hope we Lambasted the TN fellow in here.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Coach, is your last name BTFSPLK? :) Here's wishing you a break in your luck.
LOL, Glass is half full not half empty. If I was a Jinx I'd not have good seller like Ben who is going above and beyond AFTER the sell. but yeah it at times it feels like it. Had to go thru Hagerty to register my Mog log ago. Then again.... places like Hagerty did help me start off with the glass half full though.

So what did TN require of you to Title yours?

coachgeo

Thanks. Wonder what he went thru to get TN title?

On top of the previous question of how many different inspections (or not) have others had to go thru to get a title? Did anyone get issued a changed VIN number?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these questions are a lot like questions about getting insurance, there's a different answer for every state and probably every agent and type of truck. No one is going to match your set of circumstances, ever. Are you really expecting a solution asking us?

coachgeo

All these questions are a lot like questions about getting insurance, there's a different answer for every state and probably every agent and type of truck. No one is going to match your set of circumstances, ever. Are you really expecting a solution asking us?
Actually no do not expect a solution.... asking for AMMO :tank: to get the the person I am dealing with to reexamine her stance. She said (and I know she is wrong) that it is Federal Rules and Regulations that require her department to request to have the full inspection in order to check the truck with the national VIN database or at least get it compliant to that database. (have 17 digit vin) She is claiming that once inspection is done they will mail a new plate to attach to the truck with a new 17digit vin along with a title with matching 17 digit vin.

Thus my questions are for gathering Ammo. Suspect no one has had to do this full inspection... and having a general head count of how many did NOT and from how many different states gives me ammo to request she re-examine her understanding of the federal regulation(s) she is attempting to full fill. With this kind of Ammo I can say
"If 30? FMTV rigs in 5? different states got titles without all these steps you must have been smoking smoking crack when you read the regulations errr... I mean; there must be some miss understanding on your part about the regulations".

So far have heard only from you, 4 folk. Bill had to do the massive inspection on two different rigs; one of them an FMTV, but he too is in MO and it was same dept. that required it (but did not on 2 other FMTVs) and funny thing is... in the end they still sent him a title for FMTV with the original 10 digit vin the truck had in the first place. Also they did NOT send him a plate with a new VIN.

Look forward to the Ammo folk. What state are you titled in and did you have to do anything beyond normal Vin check. Particularly if you started with title from Auction.

Last edited:

1951M1078

Doing the Title and Reg. on my M1078 tomorrow here in AZ. I first need to go in with my SF-97 and the notarized Bill of Sale to get a 3 day street permit. Could not get one on line because of the non-17 Vin. Then I will go get the truck and take it back for a Level 1 inspection .(this is where they check the Vin. ) Then back inside to do the Title and Reg. We will see ?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10 min at the DMV in WA. I walked out with plates. Commercial, for non commercial use. Not all cars have 17 number vin and their system would accept that.

1951M1078

So, went in to MVD and 3 min.s later walked out with my 3 day permit. Now down to the truck and head back for the class 1 inspection.

1951M1078

So, back with a title and Reg. Only thing I could not get around was the GVW. Went with 19,000 not the 22,770. Will need to see if their is away around commercial plate $$$. When I get the box built I will go for the RV plate.

Their was one of the guy's in black with a gun and flak vest that said it was from Kuwait and it can't be registered ? Holly ****. My BP went the though the roof ! Then the girl's came out and did the inspection and all was good.

So for 1 year and a title $290. Is that good or bad ?

Randy

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So for 1 year and a title $290. Is that good or bad ?
I guess just that you were able to get it registered is "good." However, there's always a "however," in TX with a Former Military Vehicle registration it's $60 for 5 years :)

Of course there are limitations with that but none that I've run in to yet. I drive my truck when and where I want but if I get caught hauling a load of lumber from Home Depot they can ticket me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks