• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frankenduece pics?

eldgenb

Hi Guys, I recently saw a pic of a 5 ton with deuce front fenders, hood, grill, etc and they made reference to it being another frankenduece, now even with my best efforts I could not find a completed mod involving this, does anyone have any photo's or links to a completed one?

Vintage iron

Maybe it is a deuce with 5 ton running gear? we can always move our front axles back to the center of the wheel wells. The cummins motor doesn't need the sump in the back. It can be any place. Moving the wheels would kill the approach angle. A ten ton has the front wheels centered too.

eldgenb

Maybe it is a deuce with 5 ton running gear? we can always move our front axles back to the center of the wheel wells. The cummins motor doesn't need the sump in the back. It can be any place. Moving the wheels would kill the approach angle. A ten ton has the front wheels centered too.
this is the thread that sparked my curiosity HERE. It seems as though it is a front clip of a deuce on a 5 ton. Now I know that you would have to do a re-power to get this to work but if a guy has a 6bt laying around and wanted to do this would it be just as simple as realigning the front cross member and shoe horining everything else on or not?

eldgenb

I think I am going to try to tackle this in the near future, I love everything about the five ton except the cummins, long front nose, and the transmission. I think that I could make it happen pretty easy. The Frankendeuce that was pictured was not finished, he had an intercooler that was hanging out etc. They are both straight frame so with the exception of making clearence for the power steering It should be a nip and a tuck.

Trango

Yep, my truck is far from finished, and I sorely need a good solution for the front grille - I decided to hang that intercooler out farther, rather than cut farther into the firewall and doghouse more of the back of the 6ct.

I'm happy to answer any questions about adapting a 6ct into a truck, the pitfalls of using a m35 cab, and creating enough stability to successfully tackle speed bumps.

Best,
Bob

Trango

Oh yeah, and I too love everything about a 5 ton except the long nose and fenders, which is why I used an m35 cab (it was also handy).

Btw, I have no pretensions that this is either a 5 ton or a deuce. I like specific things about both platforms, and I decided to mix and match what I liked from each platform.

Vintage iron

Sounds like a great project. You can just move your front axle back 10 inch and keep the cummins. Less work and more power! I have grown to like the 5 ton fenders. Good luck and let me know if I can help

ODdave

Sounds like a great project. You can just move your front axle back 10 inch and keep the cummins. Less work and more power! I have grown to like the 5 ton fenders. Good luck and let me know if I can help
More power than what? a 6bt and 6ct will out muscle that old ntc 250.

I guess I should re-word, Both 6 B&C series are capable of more power than the ntc 250. Personaly I think the 6b would be a little small for a 5 ton though. The 6c though.......oh buddy.

Last edited:

Trango

Yep, the 6ct is a screamer. I did the first real road test on it last weekend, and being extraordinarily schedule constrained this week, I've been itching to drive it since!

Vintage iron

If you are comparing a stock Cummins 250 to a stock 6bt I don't see the 6bt being more powerful? If you are comparing a modified Cummins 855 to a modified 6bt. That is a different story. A modified 855 can be built up and still last. I am not sure a about the life span of a modified 6bt.

eldgenb

this is exactly what I don't want to do, to run 16's on a deuce most people move the axle forward, with it in the stock 5 ton location you have all the room in the world to run 16's, power steering, much improved brakes and axles, transfer case sucks but that can be changed out with one of the many deuce transfer cases I have laying around, tougher more rigid frame etc. I would probably opt for a 6ct or a 466 for the final project but for playing around a 6bt would be just fine which is all I would do with it. AFAIK the m35 and the m809 series truck share the same cab so I would just replace the front clip and move cross members around. If that is not the case TRANGO let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks