• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Free gas for my deuce?!

STRIDER

Can i run my m35a2 on just used engin oil? i put a few gallons in the tank last week and it is running fine but it is also mixed with diesel. i have a couple of auto shops in agreement to give me there used oil for free witch means i can run my truck for free. kick ass :beer:
how offtin should i change the fuel filters if i start doing this? am i going to run in to any problems?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Straight WMO can coke up the injectors. I use some diesel treat when I do large percentages of WMO. Other than that, if it is filtered, water free, and a flammible liquid, it is in the tank.

ABN173

Also be aware that if your running on the road and by chance get stopped for a fuel dip/check the fines are very high for not running the road-taxed fuel. Should this happen then all of the sudden the "free gas" will not seem so free anymore. There are several threads on this here.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also be aware that if your running on the road and by chance get stopped for a fuel dip/check the fines are very high for not running the road-taxed fuel. Should this happen then all of the sudden the "free gas" will not seem so free anymore. There are several threads on this here.
Every time I've seen anyone checked for using non-taxed fuel, they have looked for red dye, indicating off-road diesel. I suspect if the person being stopped doesn't volunteer that they are running WMO, or something else, they won't have problems if the fuel doesn't show red dye.

ABN173

Every time I've seen anyone checked for using non-taxed fuel, they have looked for red dye, indicating off-road diesel. I suspect if the person being stopped doesn't volunteer that they are running WMO, or something else, they won't have problems if the fuel doesn't show red dye.
Of interest: The below is from a related thread and not from me

BEGIN QUOTE:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/alternative-fuels/47726-fined-running-wmo-not-me.html

"Found this while researching WMO, looking for filtering ideas.

Guy was fined for using off-road fuel with WMO in his tank.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d....html?t=240817

EDIT: I worded that poorly above: he was NOT running off-road diesel. He was running regular (green) diesel with 80% WMO and BECAUSE OF THIS he was fined as though he was running off-road diesel."

END QUOTE, its a rather long thread btw.

-Dale

Last edited:

littlebob

I haven't read all of the 246 threads, but you should before you decide. Anything other than diesel is a gamble from what I've read in those that I have. While a lot of fuels and mixtures will make one run, there are possible downsides mentioned in this thread and others. Educate yourself before proceeding.

abh3

The real problem is how the WMO is handled. I use clean buckets in my farm shop and then run it through a 5 micron sock filter. Most shops will dump anything in the WMO tank, anitfreeze contaminated oil, gear lube, cig butts and tobacco juice...

That said, 50/50 'clean' WMO and diesel runs fine but it's an offroad mix as I fear those particular authorities greatly...

STRIDER

thanks guys, i live in the city and i dont know if Police here know what off road fuel is or how to even check. Police here think its a cool truck and want to talk about it.

hasteranger

Its not the police that will ever check it- its the DOT man. Seperate enforcement. Most people aren't aware of them but ask any truck driver and they show the fear in their eyes.
Known to pull over trucks and measure tread depth, check braking systems, carry mobile scales, measure steering column play, logs, manifests, lights, everything.

DOT man is the truckers worst enemy...

Josh

I just did over 500 miles with 95/5 blend of oil and gas. No issues other then lack of power when cold. Idling for 5-10 minutes solved this.

linx310

I thought if you keep a log of your miles and fuel usage and pay taxes on it then you will be ok if you get pulled over.

Last edited: