• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Freeze plug removal

choll

So I just ordered a 600 watt freeze plug block heater. Anyone have experience removing the freeze plug? What should I expect? Should I drain the anti freeze or will I just loose a little bit as I put in the heater. Seems straight forward but I am jumping into an area that I know nothing about.
Any help would be great or should I just pay someone to put it in.

Midnight Rider

I believe you need to drain the anti-freeze. That's why I haven't done mine yet. I probably should have done it when I replaced the radiator.

Someone posted up a pretty good write about this installation process. Search should bring it up.

acesneights1

Drain it and expect to get wet anyway but defintely drain it. it's a messy job. getting the old one out is a bitch. I drilled a hole in the corner of it and then used a lady foot. DON"T drop it inside. Once you get the plug out the rest is easy but prepare for a fight getting it out.

I did mine last weekend ,I took out the middle plug on drivers side.I removed lower rad hose to drain and you still alot antifreeze all over the place so be prepared. I hit one side of plug with big screwdriver to rock it sideways ,then grabed it with visegrips. About 1/2 hr total with pyutting block heater.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Timarr is correct when I did mine I drained the radiator AND the engine block with the passenger side read of engine drain, after that pick the plug with the best access and start by hitting one side of it to loosen it up and rock it back and fortha a couple times and you should be able to remove it with a pliers. Install the heater and that is about it, refill everything with coolant and your good to at least -10 for starting, not a big job you should have no problems.
KK