• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Freeze plug type block heater checks...

combatmech

Other than the obvious ( pluging the darn thing in ), is there any other way to check the wiring on a freeze plug block heater?
Dont have any experience with this type of equipment, when you do plug it in, how long would you leave it plugged? All night??....a few hours??......Just wanted to get info from some folks from colder areas......
Thanks in advance.:beer:

DokWatson

I have trouble with mine too, pretty sure it doesn't work. It even popped the breaker in the house once, then after that...nothin. Traced the wire, isn't broken and grounding on anything. Reset the breaker.. still nothin. Gave up on it. The magnetic oil pan heaters work nicely though.

Brad M

The heater is basically a large resistor. Take your multi-meter and check for resistance between the two terminals and then between each terminal and ground. Any reading to ground other than open or infinity is a short, and open or infinity between the two terminals is a blown open resistor/heater. You can take it further and check it by unplugging the cord and rereading it at the heater to see if your cord is bad. The Zerostart catalog lists the separate part numbers for the cords and for the heaters. If you find a blown open heater or a short to ground then it is time to replace it. Hope that helps.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A common problem with them is that the terminals on the heater itself, get dirty, over heat, and burn off. Check right there at the heater too, and see. Sometimes you can clean them, and get a little more time out of them. but you are sure to have a problem, when its the coldest, then she won't start. If you install a new one, use diaelectric grease on the plugs terminals.

combatmech

I have yet to hit it with a multi-meter or power of any kind....I'll check it over and see what happens. It doesnt get too cold here in Norfolk, but just in case I'd like to see if it's working.
Thanks again gents!! :beer:

erniemigi

When it's going to get really cold that night 4 hours is plenty, you can put it on a timer so it will kick on when you want it 2 and off before you leave. if you find that the block heater is bad and you want to replace it, oreillys auto parts has a 600 and a 1000 watt heaters, the part #s are 3100057 for the 600 and 3100059 for the 1000, they should be around $22.00 and $45.00, they do come with the cord that can be replaced if the other one gets damaged, you don't even have to remove the heater for it. just unplug the 1 and plug the other back on

rnd-motorsports

Im in michigan and its only been in the teens so far but I plug it in about 1/2 hr to 45 min before I start it. I have a temp gauge in mine and after about 1/2 hr 45 min. its about 50/60 deg on the temp gauge and it starts as if its that warm outside

MAGNUM

Yea got mine at Oriellys too. Tried a circulating heater, but it would not work in the space I had. They ordered the freeze plug one and it works great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks