• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Freeze plug Woes

motormayhem

Well my truck has been parked for the last month and I noticed a few drops of fluid on the axle and ground. After looking into it it looks like the drivers side freeze plug under the engine mount in leaking. Is this indicating a head gasket problem? What needs to be done to fix it? It runs about 195-205 when it is 105 outside and has had a radiator leak and failed heater hose in the last 6 months. Doesn't go through fluid and oil and coolant seem to be separated as far as I can tell.

eric_banks32

Freeze plugs corrode from sitting for long periods and improper coolant/water mixtures. If your positive its coming from a freeze plug, you can drain the coolant and put a new freeze plug in and down the road ya go.

motormayhem

Freeze plugs corrode from sitting for long periods and improper coolant/water mixtures. If your positive its coming from a freeze plug, you can drain the coolant and put a new freeze plug in and down the road ya go.
Well if it is any indication when I got the truck 2 years ago the coolant was dirt brown and it took 4 flushes and radiator clean out stuff to get the fluid to cleanup and the radiator was 50% blocked. I think that means someone wasn't keeping my freeze plugs rust free.

Well it looks like it is gonna need to be replaced. In the wiki it says a block heater should be a 41mm does that mean the freeze plugs are also 41mm.

Any words of wisdom to change the one above the motor mount without pulling the entire motor?