• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frequency meter replacement?

Fry199

What is everyone doing for replacement frequency meters? Mine reads off and it's just one of those things that bugs me.

Fry199

How far off does it read? What model machine?
802a and its a few hz high some times it right and fluctuates and it's just the little things like that bug me. I always check with a dvom and it's where it needs to be but I'd like a accurate replacement possibly digital

Fry199

The Freq gauge is one thats tough to find. As Guy said, if its not wildly off it might be annoying, but its not going to have any performance effect.
Not looking for a oem, more looking for a digital and how to wire In. Do you just tap in before the freq transducer?

Fry199

What's more annoying is it being right then next thing being off making me drag out my multimeter and checking to see if things need adjusted or just gauge. I can deal with it if it stayed consistently off but since it fluctuates is what bothers me

Guyfang

Staff member
Not looking for a oem, more looking for a digital and how to wire In. Do you just tap in before the freq transducer?
The freq transducer is your point where you want to integrate a new type meter- At the transducer its 120 in, DC voltage to the meter out. For a new type meter you need also a new type transducer.

Chainbreaker

As Kloppk suggests a Killawatt meter is a VERY handy tool & quite accurate. I use it to verify & fine tune genset against Panel Gauge frequency when unit has powered up & settled in.

Then when running the household during an outage, I take the Killawatt meter inside and plug it into an outlet in kitchen and leave it there on counter to intermittently verify frequency/voltage while running on generator power.

Also, a good tool to occasionally verify your online voltage/frequency when on utility power just to baseline it.

Fry199

Okay so I came up with a solution still in the the R and D phase, would anyone be interested in a digital hertz gauge and bezel made of black anodized aluminum (not pictured above, that's the first one made.) Would come with digital gauge mounted on a plate that directly bolts into original hertz gauge hole, wire harness and instructions on where to hook up? Any interest?

Attachments

jamawieb

Okay so I came up with a solution still in the the R and D phase, would anyone be interested in a digital hertz gauge and bezel made of black anodized aluminum (not pictured above, that's the first one made.) Would come with digital gauge mounted on a plate that directly bolts into original hertz gauge hole, wire harness and instructions on where to hook up? Any interest?
We have a member that made a very similar looking gauge. I bought several for 00xa series because the transducer can't be found. Really nice design, only downfall was that it was not water proof. It let condensation and water behind the plastic messing them up. Took a year or more to develope the problem.