• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fresh fuel tune up

Barrman

6 years ago tomorrow Sermis, Boxcar and myself picked up 4 M35A2's, 3 M105A3's and a M101A2 from Warthog. We had 3 people picking up 4 truck and 4 trailers. Part of the recovery process was the 3 barrels of WMO Sermis allowed us to bring along.

My truck always ran pretty good, but has never had pure diesel in the tank as long as I have owned it. I think I have changed the filters out 2 or 3 times, but there has always been a mix of hydrocarbons in the tank.

I spent the last few months pulling trees around my land. The more trees I pull, the more it doesn't want to idle. I knew the filters were getting all the junk stirred up from the pulling and not liking it. I also didn't want to get stuck again with a bunch of thick fuel in the tank when winter hit.

So, I kept pulling the hand throttle out to allow an idle as I used fuel up. I also bought new filters and have been waiting for time to do the work and the fuel level to get lower.

I figured the best strategy was drain the tank, put in a few gallons, run it almost dry, drain again, run some and then do the filters. That way all the junk would be drained or stuck in the filters. It would also insure any red dye in the system didn't find its way into my new filters.

The engine had gotton to where 3 clicks on the hand throttle only gave me 700 rpm at idle. That used to be 1200 rpm. I also could only get 2100 rpm by flooring it sitting still. Nowhere near the 2750 governored redline.

Last night was drain the tank time. I didn't see any chunks come out and started feeling like I was wasting good fuel and money. I put in 5 gallons and fired it up.

WOW! It was still at 3 clicks and went right to 1400 rpm. I eased into the throttle and it jumped to 2500 rpm. I pushed a bit more and it bounced right at 2750. Something I haven't even tried in years.

Keep in mind I hadn't drained the filters, I hadn't done anything to get the oil out of the IP. Just the fuel in the tank was changed and the difference was immediate. I can't wait to see how it drives once I do finally change the filters and get on the road.

I posted this because there seem to be a lot of people asking why their truck doesn't run good. Most of the time the answer given here is to make sure they have good fuel, new filters and a clean air filter. Then to see what happens. That advice is not always believed.

This is just a reminder that sometimes the super simple stuff really is a huge difference.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, has it been 6 years?

Now when are you going to start painting all the trucks I have sold you. ;-)

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pop test the injectors and adjust the valves... that will be a big difference also. Mine purrs real nice after i did that. I agree with Warthog, Paint is a beautiful thing. I have been nagging to 74M35A2 for month to get time for us to paint his M925A2 but it has not panned out yet. Maybe someday!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks