• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fresh Southern CUCV Project

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to stop doing such good work. Your giving the rest of us a bad name.....:razz:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what paint are you using now? Can you list what you have used and what you liked and disliked?

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint

Hi Joe, I have been using the GILLESPIE NON ACRYLIC ALKYD ENAMEL from RAPCO for several years. On the plus side it's easy to use and clean up, and has a nice flat sheen. You can spray it on as fast as you can move around the truck and dries to the touch in about an hour and overnight to handle. You can touch it up easy with the spray cans of paint.
On the downside, it is overly expensive for the quaity of the product, IMHO. To have it shipped from Rapco almost doubles the cost. It's not the best rust inhibtor and cannot be sprayed over bare metal...anywhere or it will come back. It tends to scratch easy, and you need 3 or more coats for adequate coverage.

The new paint I am using is from Sherwin Williams and is called "Kem 4000"®
http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/detail.jsp?A=sku-25935:product-6764

Kem 4000 Enamel is a general purpose,

short oil alkyd, high gloss enamel.
It is ideal for interior and exterior application
for OEM finishing or refinishing of
industrial, construction, and agricultural
equipment as well as a wide array of
general metal applications.

The good, it's TOUGH! And a 2 part system with a hardener. They make a "low gloss" sheen but you need to be careful because the use of hardener increases the gloss. It's more per gallon but cheaper overall because I can pick it up local. So better for me and the restoration! This paint goes on much thicker and covers much better. It can also be used directly over bare metal and will seal it (not the best thing but sometimes unavoidable). I can get it in ANY color.

The bad is it takes longer to dry and I have to shoot it... s l o w e r.

They both are reduced with Xylene.

That's about it.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmydelta

Hi David, I was wondering when you were going to post your latest. This is the new owner of that truck and I can't wait for it to arrive. This is my first military truck and I have so much to learn. I drove these trucks while in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm and always wanted one. Now the time has come to enjoy the rattle and smell of a diesel engine once again. Thanks David for all your help and an easy transaction.

Tim

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks