• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fried Alternator?

74M35A2

No problem. That is part of their development cycle.

Plus 3 year warranty covering anything except physical damage and loose B+ connection (burnt B+ terminal). Sink it all you want. It won't actually work under water only due to the brush contact against the rotor slip rings, but as soon as the water recedes below the brushes it will light back up again. No alternator will actually work under water unless it is sealed and liquid cooled, which is rare and un-necessary unless there is no cooling air available.

Jeepsinker

I'll keep an eye out for them for sale when you get it all figured out. I've never had a problem with a factory one yet, but it would be nice to have a better quality spare for when I do have a failure.

74M35A2

I can do them now (not yet as a distributor), but the price is not cheap, would be $350 each because it is going through distributors. You'd be on the hook for shipping to you also, figure another $25 or such. Not cheap, but also not too terribly bad to correctly double the output with a brand new (not reman) modern technology unit and 3 year warranty.

Personally I think it is too expensive to stock one as a spare at that price level, but if yours took a dump, then it would be worth it as a very nice upgraded replacement. The Chinese "Delco" clone is rated at about 70 amps, so nearly same as stock, but it has mixed reviews and un-forecasted longevity. This one is rated at 130 amps, nearly double, and won't commit suicide when charging low batteries. Twin internal fans, with 8 rip serpentine pulley, plenty of cooling air, temperature compensated internal voltage regulator. Option to use remote sense or not. Will not over-volt, doesn't care about engine shut down switch order. References B+ stud if remote volt sense is lost or not used. Is SAE J-180 short mount, can mount to J-180 long bracket with 4" spacer tube like the Wolverine kit and others have done, or acquire the civilian alternator bracket from your local salvage yard or dealer.

I want to gauge interest first before selling any, as I don't want to break any rules here. If there is enough interest in the above situation as it is (say 5 minimum combined), then I will upgrade my SS status to vendor and publish a listing. If not, then we will re-visit this later at a lower price level if HR tells me I can become a distributor for my own company products, without being a conflict of interest. I don't want to lose my career job over trying to get a few good alternators onto old trucks. If you absolutely have to have one soon, the price is $350 plus shipping ($375 total), and I would need a minimum of 5 commitments before kicking it off.

Last edited: