• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From fire truck to MTV

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my title and registration finally came through after two nail-biting months of waiting on the WI DMV. Did lots of research reading WI laws but seems some people still have problems registering and titling so it was a big unknown. For the past few months I've been fixing things as I had time.

I am a design engineer and just left the fire service so I needed to have a new project. Wife loves outdoors but hates the lack of comfort involved in camping. Normal RVs are boring and I have two boys that will be helping with the build process so they can learn some stuff school doesn't teach. Current plan is to put a 20ft shipping container on the back, keeping the tire and filter where they are.

Wanted maneuverability, parts availability, something not too much of a pain for the wife to drive, 4 season capable. Ended up buying an m1096 from Midwest Military Equipment. That was a mixture of good/not so good experience. The purchasing process and communication was very good, payment and delivery was quite easy. As I started inspecting stuff I started to run into issues and there was a long list...I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

1. The tires, stated as "395/85R20 Goodyear Super Singles 95% +" are date code 0714, meaning they have basically no life left based on age.
2. The frame has been damaged and a repair has been done, however not done professionally. There are cracks in the original frame and the reinforcement piece was cut too small so the bolts are at the edge of the reinforcement (breaking through the wall). It was also attached with regular bolts and not Huck fasteners. - cracks are small and near the hitch, will be an easy repair and in a low stress area.
3.Door catches and latches and the metal tracks weren't lubricated at all and took lots of force to unlock and open. Broke off the 3d printed handle the second day.
4. All the rubber is cracked/torn on the axle alignment rods, torque rods, tie rods, drag link.
5. It appears none of the zerks have been greased, although they said they were and then it was pressure washed. There was paint on the zerks. Not sure about this one.
6. The aux transmission cooler lines are not secured, resulting in them rubbing on a bracket and causing damage.
7. CTIS quick release valve is missing and hoses left open to elements.
8. Bolts missing in manual cab tilt pump and the cover.
9. The rear cab mount rubber missing pieces and others cracked.
10. Missing one latch on the battery box.
11. Cab hydraulic compression brackets left hanging free, no pins present to attach them.
12. No door keys
13. Wiring to rear taillights done unprofessionally and exposed to UV, open conductors where insulation has failed. Looks to be part of LED upgrade. Wire is also wrapped around hydraulic cooler line. - later found the extra two wires were installed as a patch since the originals did not have continuity. Found a loose connector under PDP and that fixed it.
14. Right front gladhand leaking. - Replaced check valve
15. All gladhand seals dryrotted.
16. Aux cooler positioned where axle will hit it before hitting bumpstops.
17. Only one aux cooler fan connected, haven't found other connector. Also wire hanging loose with multiple feet of slack. - From my looking in the wiring diagrams only one fan should be connected unless artic kit installed, I forget all the details.

I let MWE know about these issues and they sent out (next day) all the replacement parts that were cracked and/or missing. This wasn't an ideal experience from my point of view as I would have thought many of these items would have been taken care of during an inspection, apparently that is not so. Also need to but some pricey press tools to separate the suspension joints. I'm putting this information up so others that are buying vehicles are aware what they may need to ask more questions, for more pictures, etc than I did. I was expecting a bit more from the quotes "Fully Serviced & Gone Thru By Our Shop", "Turn Key 100% Ready To Go Work Or Play" and "Zero Leaks or Mechanical Issues" but that may have been my error. Please lets avoid having any bashing, just use this info as a point of reference as to what you may receive so your expectations are not out of line.

Link: https://midwestmilitaryequipment.co...m1096a1r-mtv-6x6-long-wheel-base-cargo-truck/

Regardless of all that, it does appear to be mechanically solid from everything I've looked at and the above items can be fixed fairly easily. On to the pictures from delivery day!

20230810_090634.jpg

20230810_094853.jpg
20230810_101549.jpg
20230810_172402.jpg

DannyBtruckn

Hey that’s a nice rig. Seems ideal for a larger habitat. I have a stripped 1087 chassis I’m planning to use. I like that the 1096 is basically the same length but has the smaller wheelbase and centers the space for the habitat over the wheels.

My 1087 has a large turning radius and is hard to make the turn into my driveway. Im considering making the rear axle retract for tight spots. similar to drop axels on a dump truck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How bad is the Home Depot latex paint job?
I'm fine with it, I wouldn't want a "fancy" paint job like on a show vehicle though. Color matches perfectly to Rustoleum camo in the can from Walmart so tough ups are very easy.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a better experience with MME and Joe, though you only get what you inspect rather than expect. He is a used car salesman.

We picked our unit up in Missouri and so inspected prior to driving home. My expectation was that we would need to replace most if not all the rubber and electrical on a 20 year old vehicle, but would have a solid mechanical platform. So, far that is what we have found.

My biggest disappointment was discovering the ABS unit had been disconnected when we picked up the unit. Once we got it home and discovered the lose connection, it has a problem, of course. I didn't have a bad experience, though MME will take every advantage they can. Joe did give me a ride to return my rental car, and I did drive our M1078 all the way back to Texas without a problem–

Last edited:

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess someone thought CTIS bolts are supposed to be torqued like wheel nuts.
This filled the stud threads and was able to get most of it out but wouldn't take a bolt smoothly. Verified the bolt size is 3/8 NPS -national pipe straight (basically the same as 3/8 NPT-national pipe taper, except a straight thread). This is why 3/8NPT plugs work to block off the CTIS of needed.

Chased the threads and she bolted up perfectly.

Attachments

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the "listen test" per the TM (during inflate, with the gear hub fill plug off, listen for air leak) for CTIS hub seal leaks, found one on driver right front. Actually went pretty well that's to some YouTube videos. Didn't shim gears since my ECO hubs should be arriving today!

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess someone thought CTIS bolts are supposed to be torqued like wheel nuts.
This filled the stud threads and was able to get most of it out but wouldn't take a bolt smoothly. Verified the bolt size is 3/8 NPS -national pipe straight (basically the same as 3/8 NPT-national pipe taper, except a straight thread). This is why 3/8NPT plugs work to block off the CTIS of needed.

Chased the threads and she bolted up perfectly.
Yea the same breed that uses a cheater pipe to tighten an oil plug !!!

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a few arrivals today! Went to a local place looking for a shipping container and the guy happened to already have one fully insulated floor included, with 2 in of closed cell spray foam. Also did a really nice job installing a sliding door. Was planning on doing the insulation myself but this was just too good of a opportunity to pass up and help the project move along quickly. Have to figure out what I'm going to do for framing...
Also got three nice heavy packages with Eco hubs.
20231015_152825.jpg20231015_152126.jpg20231015_152205.jpg20231015_154205.jpg20231015_162700.jpg

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checking CTIS seal leak rate into the axle breathers. Took about six cycles to fill up one glove and about 10 for the other. I'm really not too concerned about that level of leak.

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you planning on putting the the container on the frame of the truck ?

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took off the braces that someone added due to a tweak in the frame. Frame is pretty straight, although you can see a wave if you look down the length of it. These braces that were added are grade school level. They obviously drilled holes while the brace was in place and there are huge amounts of metal filings between the two. Also none of the torching of the huck bolts was repainted. Midwest military equipment claimed they never touched the frame.
While everything is structurally good, the quality of work is absolutely piss poor. I'm going to clean all this stuff up and put it back on with some trimming so I can attach the box.20231017_095902.jpg

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a leak from my front CTIS fill line. After looking around for replacement lines and only finding new old stock that may be 20 years old... I just decided to replace everything with McMaster-Car equipment. Now I've got push connects directly to the connectors with polyurethane lines. System is working well.

I did find one place that makes brand new lines and jis adapters, they were shut down for a month and I wanted to fix right away. I may use them for my brake lines.20231016_170643.jpg20231016_170636.jpg

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Full day of work on the truck, repairing the crappy fix in above thread. Ground out and welded cracks. Let the kids do some painting as well, they still need practice. They were helpful tightening the bolts though. Waiting for a mcmaster order for the last few bolts but it's basically done (forgot a final picture).
Trying to figure out best method for loading box on truck, I think I will use hi lift jack and cribbing. No room for a crane and I don't have a forklift.
20231021_110056.jpg20231021_105941.jpg20231020_151515.jpg20231020_151511.jpg

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy i sure wished you lived next door while youve got that hitch broke loose from the frame i would find a way to beat you out of it ! I need one of those hitches for mine i just need a longer stinger to slide out to reach some trailers i might pull with the overhang of the dovetail ! Keep up the good work !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks