• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle Boots

m139h2otruck

Any suggestions for suppliers who sell the better quality zipper type axle boots for the 5 tons? Need at least 1 for our H2O truck on the left side. Really don't want to do a full tear down of the front end, so we will try a zipper type. Would rather pay more money for a quality part than re-doing it again because the quality was bad.
Thanks

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been buying them from Antelope Valley in California. They have a lot of import (read Taiwan) parts for 5-tons, but they are pretty tough and have had no fault with them.

I suspect age more than origin is the key factor. These are always fresh.

dg

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I couldn't help but to chime in on this one. Zipper boots are easy, but in life, do the good things normally come easy??? I know that people don't want to go through the entire tear down process to replace a non-zipper boot, but here's the advantage of doing it the "hard" way. 1. Zipper boots suck!!! If you don't believe me, take ANY zipper boot, zip up the boot, than hold the zipper up to a light. What do you see? That's correct, you see light. Where there's light ... there's dust, which, of course, defeats the purpose of a "dust" boot. 2. When you tear the knuckle completely apart, you get the opportunity to completely clean, inspect, and re-torque and re-grease the entire front end, you know, the part of the truck that decides where you'll go when you turn the wheel!!! 3. It ain't that hard. Yup, to completely tear down one knuckle takes about four hours from start to finish. I do this on trucks I keep AND on trucks I sell. It's just the right thing to do.

Go to http://www.czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/5_Ton_Trucks/Truck Repair Progress/Wheel Service/ so that you know I'm not bullshitting. That's me, ripping apart the front end of an M813 that I recently sold to a neurosurgeon out West. He surely doesn't know what went into that, but, he'll never have to worry about it. Oh yah, I've seen some of the zipper boots coming in from overseas ... and I've sent them back to the supplier, as most are SHIT. If this is YOUR truck we're talking about, take the time and do it right, you'll be glad you did. VERY sincerely, Joe

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All boots get torn up when driving off-road sooner or later, zipper or not and to do a complete tear-down each time would be very time consuming.
The correct way to install the zipper boots include the application of a good sealant and they will not leak. "Goop" is one of the better readily available silicone based sealants for this purpose.

m139h2otruck

Boots

Thanks for the feedback, I got two boots from Saturn, one looks older and USA, the other newer and Off-shore. I think I agree with Cranetruck, and will change-out the boot and seal with RTV. But if I was doing what Joe does, it would make sense to use the one piece non-zipper boots. By the way real nice looking shop Joe!

jasonjc

I would have to side with GIjoe on this one. Atleaset the frist time you do it just to be shure all is right in there. If you are tearing them often then use the zipper ones. But if you only do it onece in a blue moon do the extar work and know that its done right. You just don't know who did it before and how. Was it done on the side of the road with the plan of fixxing right later??? Was pvt smuck pi$$ off and getting out soon.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zipper vs. Non-zipper Boots

Based on cranetruck's and jasonjc's response I am going to change my position slightly, as I agree with both of their positions (no, I'm not running for office).

Cranetruck is spot on in that if you run your trucks regularly and KNOW what's going on up front, then use the USGI zipper boots but make sure they're sealed up well.

My original response made the assumption that jasonjc's logic (and my logic) follow; that is, if you're replacing a boot you're doing it for the first time and have never seen the inside of your front axle's knuckle. My experience is, more often than not, MV hobbyists buy a truck, at some point replace the boots, and before those boots need to be replaced again that particular truck gets sold for one reason or another.

My point is to simply error on the side of caution; if you don't know PERSONALLY what's going on inside that knuckle, go through it yourself and know what's going on. Again, that component of your truck has a LOT to do with determining WHERE your truck will go.

Thanks cranetruck and jasonjc for chiming in!

Joe

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Zipper vs. Non-zipper Boots

Joe makes a good point on inspecting the knuckle, imho.

m139h2otruck

Changed the front left boot this last weekend. Really not that bad, except for the screw and nut on the wire band. Just got a new screw (SS) and replaced. Boot was rotten from the old grease on the bottom (break I could see) and dry rotted on the top under the steering arm (which I couldn't see). Cleaned out some of the old grease, installed boot, sealed the zipper and pumped in a full tube of grease through the 1/4" port. Still didn't see any grease in the other port, but thought that 14-16 oz. was enough.

rrrr

Well the second zipper boot on my M932A1 just gave out. This only had 200 miles on the boot since the replacement. The one before lasted only 500 miles. I've had my front apart to replace the inner oil seal so I know everything is good. I would like to stick with zipper boots. Does anyone know who's got good quality ones?

Erik's is where I got mine. His products have always been top notch. Maybe he got a bad batch ? I've put in another order with him and he's going to replace the boot at no cost. I ordered an extra just in case. I will be taking a picture of the boot and sending it to him to see if there might be an issue with the boots. The two failures have been in different places no where near the screw for the clamp or the zipper.

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Send tweeter166 a pm he can get you oem nos mil. spec. axle boots. That's where I got mine from and have about 500 miles on the and no signs of taring yet.

Chevyman_15237

RRRR- I also replaced a zipper boot last year, I had bought it from Erik's. It is trashed already, I might have put 100 miles on the truck if that. I am going to call tomorrow and see what he will do; sounds like a bad batch if you ask me. I found the Meritor part number, A3280V2024, I am going to call a spring shop tomorrow and see what his price is for genuine Meritor parts.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also bought mine form Eriks and they didnt last anytime, almost no miles as we were in the process of painting the truck. Boths sides tore now. Ive bought other stuff from him with no problems.
Just bought a pair from these guys. Bought the non-zipper one piece silicone boots. We'll see how long they last

Red Barn Customs, 2.5 Ton Rockwell Axles, Mud Boggers, CNC Plasma Cut, Yale Mich
I'm interested in the one piece 5-Ton silicone boots from Red Barn also. Anybody have any experience with the silicone boots?

F18hornetM

Ive not installed them yet, probably a winter project for me. They are one piece which as you know requires lots more time to install. I may just take a day and do them both.

SteveDave1395

I installed two silicone non zipper boots just about a year ago on the deuce, just noticed one today that has torn already after about 300-400 miles. I haven't really done any off roading with it so I'm thinking maybe I got a bad one or maybe just some poor luck and a stick caught it in the little off roading that I did do. Either way, time consuming to put on, and very nice knowing that they won't leak, but now I have to decide to spend the time to do one again or go back to the zipper style and just seal it up nicely.:???:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks