• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FRONT AXLE DOES NOT ENGAGE

DEL03

DEL03

I NEED HELP WITH INSTRUCTIONS MY DEUCE HAS TO MISSING PARTS WE JUST PICKED IT UP IN OHIO AND DROVE IT HOME IT WAS GREAT :roll: THEN I GOT HOME AND STUCK IT IN THE SAND AND NO FRONT AXLE MOVEMENT I ENGAGED IN LOW STILL NO MOVEMENT :confused: I DONT KNOW about REVERSE THOUGH BECAUSE AS SOON AS I BACKED UP OF COURSE THE TIRES ROLL I DID DISCONNECT THE SHAFT AND SEE IF THE TRANSFER WAS SPINNING AND IT DID AS LONG AS THERE WAS NO PRESSURE APPLIED AS SOON AS THE TRANSFER WAS LOADED IT STOPPED SPINNING :confused: :banghead: :cry: PLEASE HELP

DEL03

1967 DEUCE W/WINCH

MONTVERDE FL USA

Monster Man

DEL03 said:
DEL03
I NEED HELP WITH INSTRUCTIONS MY DEUCE HAS TO MISSING PARTS WE JUST PICKED IT UP IN OHIO AND DROVE IT HOME IT WAS GREAT :roll: THEN I GOT HOME AND STUCK IT IN THE SAND AND NO FRONT AXLE MOVEMENT I ENGAGED IN LOW STILL NO MOVEMENT :confused: I DONT KNOW about REVERSE THOUGH BECAUSE AS SOON AS I BACKED UP OF COURSE THE TIRES ROLL I DID DISCONNECT THE SHAFT AND SEE IF THE TRANSFER WAS SPINNING AND IT DID AS LONG AS THERE WAS NO PRESSURE APPLIED AS SOON AS THE TRANSFER WAS LOADED IT STOPPED SPINNING :confused: :banghead: :cry: PLEASE HELP

DEL03

1967 DEUCE W/WINCH

MONTVERDE FL USA
by your description I assume this is a sprague front end, instead of an air shift frontend? Mine is in the same exact boat, my sprag engages sometimes, but never when I am stuck! [:)] It is a common problem on sprague trucks for the spragues to strip. Also, the linkage between the transmission and transfer case has a spring in it, and that becomes worn over time. In any case, it's not cheap or simple to replace the spragues which is why I am saving up for a Memphis Equipment shift kit.

The sprague trucks should have always been started in first gear, then switched to second, and should always ave gone from first when coming off of reverse. As you may know, this is very hard to do (use first) which is why many times the spragues were damaged. Kind of a dumb design, the airshift is much ore reliable.

FSBruva

MM-

Question for you about the transfer cases... I just got my Memphis Equipment catalog today.

Do I understand properly that the REB shift kit is a manually controlled transfer case? Like an airshift, minus the air? Thanks.

Matt

DEL03

MM

GOOD QUESTION WHAT IS THIS CATALOG AND WHERE CAN I FIND ONE

DEL03

DEL03

1967 DEUCE W/WINCH

MONTVERDE FL USA

Monster Man

The REB shift kit is a manual conversion for the spragues- it takes off the front half of the case- the front output cover, take out the sprague gear assembly (the entire stack), put in their gears, disconnect the automatic linkage between the tranny and transfer, pop on their linkage, cut a hole in the floor and install the shifter. It's fully manual, just like air but without the hassle of adding air lines. A bit pricey, but easier than swapping out transfer cases, which is what you need to do to swap to air (can't just change output covers and add air lines, switches, etc.)

DEL03

:banghead: FRUSTRATED

WHAT I THINK IM MISSING IS IS SOMETHING ON THE TRANSFER CASE SIDE BECAUSE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT STOPS SPINNING IF I GET BOGGED DOWN EVEN THOUGH THE REARS ARE STILL DIGGING AND I DIDNT NOTICE ANY SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS ON MY DASH I ALL WOULD LIKE TO ASSUME THAT THEY ARE 6X6 ALL THE TIME SINCE I DONT SEE ANYTHING THAT SAYS 6X6 ONLY IF YOU DO THIS OR THAT I TRIED CRAWLING AROUND UNDER THE TRUCK AND EVEN DISSASEMBLED THE TOP OF THE TRUCK AND DID NOT NOTICE ANY EXTRA LEVERS OR ANYTHING THAT WAS NOT CONNECTED :banghead: :banghead: ALSO TODAY I TOOK HER ON A SHORT IN TOWN TRIP AND NOTICED THAT I HAVE NO RIGHT TURN ??????????

PLEASE HELP WITH MY LEMON

DEL03

1967 KAISER W/WINCH

MONTVERDE FL

Monster Man

DEL03 said:
:banghead: FRUSTRATED

WHAT I THINK IM MISSING IS IS SOMETHING ON THE TRANSFER CASE SIDE BECAUSE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT STOPS SPINNING IF I GET BOGGED DOWN EVEN THOUGH THE REARS ARE STILL DIGGING AND I DIDNT NOTICE ANY SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS ON MY DASH I ALL WOULD LIKE TO ASSUME THAT THEY ARE 6X6 ALL THE TIME SINCE I DONT SEE ANYTHING THAT SAYS 6X6 ONLY IF YOU DO THIS OR THAT I TRIED CRAWLING AROUND UNDER THE TRUCK AND EVEN DISSASEMBLED THE TOP OF THE TRUCK AND DID NOT NOTICE ANY EXTRA LEVERS OR ANYTHING THAT WAS NOT CONNECTED :banghead: :banghead: ALSO TODAY I TOOK HER ON A SHORT IN TOWN TRIP AND NOTICED THAT I HAVE NO RIGHT TURN ??????????

PLEASE HELP WITH MY LEMON
I wouldn't get frustrated and call her a lemon just yet- as said, this is a common problem. The sprague acts like a overrunning clutch- it spins all the time, but does not transmit any real torque to the front wheels. It's usually only 6x4 all the time, and 6x6 with slippage. It only works in first and reverse (pretty sure just those 2), and it senses slippage in the rears and the spragues engage. The linkage between the transmission and transfer case is spring loaded, and this is what senses the slippage and pushes the rod into the transfer case, locking the spragues to the gear pack, sending solid power to the front. My spragues, and many others, are stripped, which provides an inconsistent lockup under power. It will look like it spins, but when you bog it down it will just slip. They get stripped from going from reverse to second, or vice versa, I haven't ever experienced it since mine were shot, but you get a real LOUD bang, and then they're gone. It's just one of those things. Wish I had a pic to show you, but the spragues are kind of hidden in the gear pack and you can't see them externally. I'll see if I can dig up the page I scanned out of the TM

rdixiemiller

The sprag transfer case is prone to that failure. It is similar to a starter drive, and will wear out in time. Most people who have the sprag T-case swap to airshift or put in a Reb kit. The sprags themselves seem to be a rare item to find, I have not heard of anyone replacing them.
Look in the "Pulling Engine" post. I posted the cross reference guide from TM #s to PDF #s. You can download it for free from the govt. site, but if you don't have high speed internet you will be there a while. I have all the manuals on CD if you want them. Send me your snail address and I can get one out, sounds like you will be needing it.
The original design of the transfer case has the front output yoke turning ever so slightly slower than the rear yoke. This has the front drive shaft always slightly overrunning the sprag clutch. The sprags are spring loaded, and always have some pressure on the clutch drum. When the rear wheels slip, the front clutch tries to turn faster than the front driveshaft. This causes the sprags to grip the clutch drum, providing power to the front axle. Because of the design, where the sprags are always slightly slipping, they wear down. I believe the idea was to have one less thing for a driver to figure out, kind of like full time 4 wheel drive in a pickup.
From what I have heard and read, they generally wear out on the forward set of sprags, as the reverse set gets extremely little use.
I have never heard anyone say so, but I wonder if some of our new "super slick" lube additives reduce the efficiency of the sprag clutch, as they rely on friction to lock up.

DEL03

ILL TELL YOU IT DID NOT EVEN USE A DROP OF OIL..... I WILL TRY THE FIRST AND REVERSE TOMORROW MY GUESS IS THAT I ALWAYS WAS STARTING OUT IN 3RD BECAUSE IT WAS GEARED SO LOW ALSO DOES IT WORK LIKE THAT IN JUST LOW OR HIGH OR DOES IT MATTER AS FAR AS THE BOOKS I APPRECIATE IT BUT I JUST ORDERED EVERYHTING FROM MEMPHIS AND ORDERED A DVD FROM EBAY

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Delo, somewhere on the site is a place to download manuals. Ther deuce operating manual is there. DL it tonight and read it in bed, It will help you.

Longhunter7

Recovry4X4,

You get an attaboy!

Rule number one, READ THE MANUAL!

Rule number two, READ THE [:(!] @#$!&*%# MANUAL!

Guys, we made this as easy as possible by making a treasure trove of information available to the members! All you have to do is LOOK for the information, it's right there for all to access! [thumbzup]

DEL03

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP I JUST FOUND THE MANUAL DID NOT EVER THINK ABOUT GOING BACK TO THE HOME PAGE WILL READ NOW I DID TEST IT IN REVERSE 10-8 IN FIRST 10-7 NON OPERATIONAL I DID FIND OUT AFTER E-MAILING THE LAST OWNER THAT A NEW TRANI (CRATE SURPLUS) WAS INSTALLED LAST YEAR IM HOPING FOR A SIMPLE FIX MAYBE IF THEY LEFT SOMETHING DISCONECTED OR INSTALLED BACKWARDS OR NOT THERE AT ALL IF YOU CAN HELP BEFORE I READ IT THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO

ALSO THE LAST OWNER SAYS THERE IS A HOOKUP ON THE TRANSFER CASE FOR AN ADDIDTIONAL PTO I LOOKED AND DID NOT SEE ANY ACCESS PLATES HAS ANYONE HEARD OF SUCH A BEAST OR WHERE TO FIND THE BRASCKETS AND WHAT NOT TO HOOK IT UP IF IT IS THERE

DEL03
**********************************************************************************************

Monster Man

DEL03 said:
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP I JUST FOUND THE MANUAL DID NOT EVER THINK about GOING BACK TO THE HOME PAGE WILL READ NOW I DID TEST IT IN REVERSE 10-8 IN FIRST 10-7 NON OPERATIONAL I DID FIND OUT AFTER E-MAILING THE LAST OWNER THAT A NEW TRANI (CRATE SURPLUS) WAS INSTALLED LAST YEAR IM HOPING FOR A SIMPLE FIX MAYBE IF THEY LEFT SOMETHING DISCONECTED OR INSTALLED BACKWARDS OR NOT THERE AT ALL IF YOU CAN HELP BEFORE I READ IT THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO

ALSO THE LAST OWNER SAYS THERE IS A HOOKUP ON THE TRANSFER CASE FOR AN ADDIDTIONAL PTO I LOOKED AND DID NOT SEE ANY ACCESS PLATES HAS ANYONE HEARD OF SUCH A BEAST OR WHERE TO FIND THE BRASCKETS AND WHAT NOT TO HOOK IT UP IF IT IS THERE

DEL03
**********************************************************************************************
under the truck, looking up at the transmission, you will see the shift lever, attached to the lever is a rod that goes straight back to the t-case, and that linkage drops down and is attached to a rod that goes into the front ouput of the t-case. The linkage between the two has a cylindrical gas shock looking piece, that's your srping loaded linkage. Check to see if that's not hooked up, the rod into the ouput of the t-case is wht engages the spragues

DEL03

Hows this for geometry it engages in reverse but in first it does not move now if i engage it with a pry bar it seems to go in but i would need an extra set of eyes for sure and I wont have that till this weekend either way Im going to be doing some research and make sude that I have the right trani and then Ill let you know how it all works out

del03

********************************************************************************

Monster Man

I've considered adding a manual shift lever in place of the stock linkage to jam the rod into the case. My sprague locks up in one direction, but not the other, and I want to make sure it stays in for at least one direction [:)]

DEL03

I was actually hoping for my memphis catalog today but no show there I am really curious if the manuel rebuild provides 6x6 in all gears or if it is still just first and reverse if anyone has installed one is it possible to complete inside the truck I looked today and if I could move the crossmember it definately looked possible

del03
patiently waiting memphis catalog
************************************************************************************************

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks